David Jones American Express Card - now with 30,000 bonus points!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOC469

The DJs Amex is a 3x2x1x card with a $99 "Competitive Annual Card Fee".

Apply in store before 16 January and the usual bonus of 13,500 points when you first spend outside of DJs has been increased to 30,000 points.

From a marketing point of view I find this card interesting. For a branded card with DJs positioned as a prestige department store that it will earn more points with Woollies than with the card brand DJs.

Earn more points for all your everyday spending1: 3 POINTS for major supermarkets & petrol stations & 2 POINTS instore at David Jones & 1 POINT everywhere else!

The DJs Amex is a 3x2x1x card with a $99 "Competitive Annual Card Fee".

Apply in store before 16 January and the usual bonus of 13,500 points when you first spend outside of DJs has been increased to 30,000 points.

Wow, this is a pretty good offer. Nothing on the David Jones site about it though - must be an in-store promotion only right?

I'm just about to apply for the Amex Plat Edge, $149 with 20K points, 3-2-1 but the above might be a better earner. 3 points per dollar for major supermarkets + fuel, whereas the edge is only 2 points for fuel. Mind you, the Edge comes with a free return DJ ticket which, from Perth, is reasonably valuable.

One problem is it is on the ****tier MR program that can't convert to QF and the redemtion rates aren't as good:

2 points = 1 Velocity Point
2 points = 1 KrisFlyer mile
2 points = 1 Flying Club mile
200 points = 1 Airpoints Dollar™
2 points = 1 Enrich mile
2 points = 1 Royal Orchid Plus Mile
2 points = 1 Asia Mile

Yikes, the David J Amex is not part of Amex Ascent? I found it difficult, frankly, to find much info on this interesting looking card at all.

Arg. Well spotted. The David J MR is not part of the Ascent program from the looks. Seems to be its own special MR program .. its hard to imagine this all being worthwhile for either Amex or DavidJ.

Anyway, that crosses it off the list for me. Its hard enough managing several large programs let alone subscribing to weird niche/single vendor ones.

Good one to share. For those intending to redeem for frequent flyer points, the 30k bonus points offer is equivalent to 15k Ascent points only.
this is a good card if you use the points to cash in for gift cards or for a credit on your account 36000 points = $250 credit. I cancelled my DJ card recently coz they wouldnt waive the annual fee but i was told i could call up within 60 days to reactivate it. I wonder if i go into a DJ store and apply and quote my previous account number if ill qualify for these new 30,000 bonus points?

this is a good card if you use the points to cash in for gift cards or for a credit on your account 36000 points = $250 credit.

This is the same for the Ascent MR program. $250 credit on your card costs 36,000 points. Gift cards with Harvey World Travel, Flight Centre or Amex Travel seem to be going at $100 value for 10,000 points however, as are many other non flight redemptions, making the Ascent points far more valuable in my opinion.

Transfer to a FF program, like Velocity or Krisflyer or Asia Miles and you might extract 2-3c / point.

{Edit: haha, this will make you laugh. I just tried to buy a David Jones giftcard via Ascent, 250$ value = 32,500 Ascent MR points.

What the ... ??}

Last edited:
This is the same for the Ascent MR program. $250 credit on your card costs 36,000 points. Gift cards with Harvey World Travel, Flight Centre or Amex Travel seem to be going at $100 value for 10,000 points however, as are many other non flight redemptions, making the Ascent points far more valuable in my opinion.

Transfer to a FF program, like Velocity or Krisflyer or Asia Miles and you might extract 2-3c / point.

{Edit: haha, this will make you laugh. I just tried to buy a David Jones giftcard via Ascent, 250$ value = 32,500 Ascent MR points.

What the ... ??}
i reinstated my card and got the 30k after some peruasion so im happy with that. on the application form it says household income and DJ staff reckon many house wives have been approved for this card by simply putting down $0 income and using their partners on the application. I wonder if housewifes can in fact qualify if they put down $0 income and write their partners income in the other section and still qualfiy for the 30k points? I called up and 1 person said yes then called again and another said no if the partner already holds a DJ amex card or had one cancelled within the last 60 days. so i m a bit confused since i already have the card and she use to be a supplementary card holder but i cancel her card more then 60 days ago, so will they simply reject it or consider approving it.

Applied 10 days ago and received card in mail today - will make small purchase and then receive the 30,000pts - transfer to KF at 2:1 = 15,000 KF points for $99 = 0.0066c / pt.

Or a better way to put it - the 15,000 KF = 40% of KF pts required for 1 way J Saver MEL-CAN - gotta love that.

And still Citibank knock me back on an application - I gotta get around those fockers somehow.

Applied 10 days ago and received card in mail today - will make small purchase and then receive the 30,000pts - transfer to KF at 2:1 = 15,000 KF points for $99 = 0.0066c / pt.

Or a better way to put it - the 15,000 KF = 40% of KF pts required for 1 way J Saver MEL-CAN - gotta love that.

And still Citibank knock me back on an application - I gotta get around those fockers somehow.

How did you get the 30,000pts? Didn't the bonus offer expire in January?

How did you get the 30,000pts? Didn't the bonus offer expire in January?
Don't know about expiry date - I saw the bonus advertised somewhere - applied - received card this morning and called them to confirm prior to activating card.

I was looking into different BPAY options recently, and stumbled across this:

American Express Australia Ltd - BPAY Biller Details - BPAY

It says that I am able to pay my DJ AMEX card using BPAY from another credit card, specifically "Visa Credit Card, Mastercard Credit Card, Other Credit Cards".

This effectively allows you to earn reward points twice (once on the DJ card, and once on the card which you use to pay off the DJ card with). This might actually make the DJ card worthwhile after all.

Would be interested to hear other members views.

I was looking into different BPAY options recently, and stumbled across this:

American Express Australia Ltd - BPAY Biller Details - BPAY

It says that I am able to pay my DJ AMEX card using BPAY from another credit card, specifically "Visa Credit Card, Mastercard Credit Card, Other Credit Cards".

This effectively allows you to earn reward points twice (once on the DJ card, and once on the card which you use to pay off the DJ card with). This might actually make the DJ card worthwhile after all.

Would be interested to hear other members views.

Might be treated as cash advance in your other credit card account. Points will not accrue and you'll pay interest from day one.

Ditto that brother - has anybody actually undertaken this course of action?

it might be worth a try just top up your visa or master card so that you dont get charged interest. ie the 28 degrees card. i might give it a go for $1 or is the minimum bpay amount allowed these days i think is $15?

Ditto that brother - has anybody actually undertaken this course of action?

Your transaction will be treated as cash advance, my friend has already got caught that. End up with paying $200+interest and 0 point earned on that transaction either. lol

Your transaction will be treated as cash advance, my friend has already got caught that. End up with paying $200+interest and 0 point earned on that transaction either. lol
It did sound a bit too good to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back