Creative ways to meet minimum CC spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saurs82

Was just approved for the jetstar CC need to make the $3k spend within the next 60 days. Other then general spending what are some other creative ways to meet the minimum spend?
Ive got $1k of bill sitting here to pay onto it when it arrives.
Insurances etc have all just been paid.
Can i just at worst buy a $1000-$2000 wish gift cards if needed?

i read a passing comment in another thread about purchasing a flexi or business flight from an airline that fully refunds...purchase the flight for Dec 2016, get your points, cancel the booking after the points have posted...i have yet to decide how i feel about it, happy to hear others' thoughts

I'm in a similar position and have saved up bills for the coming spend, although my bare minimum monthly spend easily would hit $3k in 60 days, not including extras. I usually put everything (without an exorbitant CC surcharge) through my card so it doesn't matter too much.

A woolies/coles gift card would be the best bet to help get you over as you're pre-buying your groceries that way. Another option is buying Qantas flight vouchers or simply booking a number of upcoming flights. I'd be uneasy about prebooking a fully flexible flight with the intention to cancel it.

i read a passing comment in another thread about purchasing a flexi or business flight from an airline that fully refunds...purchase the flight for Dec 2016, get your points, cancel the booking after the points have posted...i have yet to decide how i feel about it, happy to hear others' thoughts

This can't work. You'll still have to pay for the flight even though you'll get the refund at some stage in the future. It also means you'll have to hold the card potentially for 6 months if it takes that much time to get the points + refund.

Can i just at worst buy a $1000-$2000 wish gift cards if needed?

Yes, buy them at the usual 5 to 10% discount.

Prepaying things like private health insurance is usually worth several thousand dollars.

If you have kids in private school, just pay $3000 on your account! If you pay quarterly you might go into credit, but I don't know a school who would hate to be paid early :)

For a newbie in this area, how do you get the discount? Any advice would be great, thanks

Yes, buy them at the usual 5 to 10% discount.

Prepaying things like private health insurance is usually worth several thousand dollars.

For a newbie in this area, how do you get the discount? Any advice would be great, thanks

There are a large number of ways to get the discount. Big W offered 10% off at the end of 2015. You can try entertainment book, your employer, cashrewards or local motoring association. You just need to keep a look out for them. 10% off for WISH card is what you should be aiming for.

Last edited:
This works for me:

Woolworths Gift Cards | Cashrewards

They are issued directly by WOW and you simply pay 5% less than the face value. Then use the voucher at the checkout as though it is full value.

Thanks for the link. Out of interest, would this be eligible for the bonus points you get for supermarket spend with certain Amex cards?

If you like iTunes gift cards they are often seen up to 20% off. Then purchasing from iTunes one can also be creative by purchasing things on specials .... This is like double dipping !

Perhaps look at buying something months ahead that is pay now but fully refundable/cancellable - someone mentioned flights but there are better options. Hotel bookings is an example.

I like the idea of discounted gift cards to places that you use every week.
In our situation we are always getting cardable bills for something.
On gift cards I generally have several thousand dollars of discounted ones.

Thanks for the link. Out of interest, would this be eligible for the bonus points you get for supermarket spend with certain Amex cards?

Yes it does, bought one during the week with my new AMEX card, and 2X points posted. Happy days - and moves my shop back to WW. 5% off every shop is worth more than flybuys

I would say book hotels that have free cancellation that are 12 months in advance at say Hotels.com. You can prepay, and then when the bonus points comes you just cancel the booking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back