Concierge Service - I am just plain lazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simongr

Enthusiast
Hi all

Just a quick thought. I am starting to plan my Xmas vacation for 2010 and wondered if it was completely lazy to call Amex (I have plat charge) and get them to organise it even though it is not a true travel product...

Its not just a simple flight and hotel - we need somewhere that is really dog friendly 2 and 4 hours drive from sydney where we could get a 2-3 bed rental for two weeks fairly close to the beach.... you can see why I wouldnt mind outsourcing the research ;)

Just plain lazy on my part or a good use of the $900 fee?

Simon,

I have had calls from Amex researching transport prices for people for items they have purchased on ebay, so no I don't think you are being lazy.

When you find somewhere please inform the rest of us as that sounds like a great holiday plan and I too have two dogs.

ejb

I think it is an appropriate use of a product you have paid for and where they can offer a real benefit for yourself.

You'll ask them politely and thank them when they perform the requested service so why not utilise it?

I would definitely use them, as thats what they are there for.

Although in my experience, the travel team don't really come up with the most unique suggestions - more often than not, I choose to arrange it all myself as the ideas put forward by the travel team are fairly stock standard and nothing special

Absolutely not - seems like a reasonable request for me, given you're paying $900/year and a large part of that would cover the concierge service. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

Whilst I'm not an Amex Plat holder, I do have Earth and Citi Platinum cards and have used the concierge for similar things, if only to get them to send me some links via email much like the previous posters here...

I think this is a perfectly reasonable request, and whilst you may not like all the suggestions put forward, perhaps its a good starting point for when you organise the rest of it yourself.

Personally I don't really care if they google a few things and look at some reviews online when I don't have the time to do it myself...

Maybe the big question is, who needs a concierge when you have the wonderful people here at AFF..? :D

Although in my experience, the travel team don't really come up with the most unique suggestions - more often than not, I choose to arrange it all myself as the ideas put forward by the travel team are fairly stock standard and nothing special

I have to agree. The times that I have used the Travel Service, I have been a little underwhelmed by their ability. Including getting my name wrong on an air ticket!

But that's not to say I wouldn't recommend using them as a source of information/research. See what they say, combine it with stuff you've gathered/heard from elsewhere and then book it yourself!

Hope you have a great vacation :)

WT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back