Claiming a refund of 20,000 points from JetStar: A BATTLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyages

Though admittedly I have never flown JQ domestically, I’ve undertaken a few 3K flights between HKG and SIN, and SIN and SGN, which were satisfactory. I’ve currently got a *class booking with JQ and another Y booking with BL.

I’ve never been a Jet* basher. My recent experience in dealing with JQ staff has left a lot to be desired. One word: “inconsistent”, or two words: “service failure”, or three words: “frustrating at best”. Ok that’s a total of 6 words. This is not to bash Jet*, but to vent a bit of steam from this unfortunate situation, and share a little pain.

The situation
On Sunday 20th March, I planned to make an ASA booking for a KUL-SIN flight. Of course the QF site directed me to the JQ site. At the payment page, I entered the wrong expiry date of my credit card. Wouldn’t you normally expect an error message? Yes I sure did, and even better (or worse), I received a bit more from the JQ website… An error message alerting the credit card error, PLUS a deduction of 20,000 points from my QFF account, whilst no actual itinerary was issued!!! Within a few minutes of the error, the points were taken out of my account. What’s with that?

This was something I guess rather unconventional. And other AFF members might take into account for their future redemptions.

Dealing with QF Platinum desk and JQ agents
JQ agent 1: no idea what was going on
I immediately got on the phone with a JQ agent, who claimed that no booking was actually made and that JQ had not taken any points from me. Doh! It’s obvious in my QFF activity statement, with a reference number and all.

QF agent 1: a Platinum treatment
The next call to the QF Platinum desk on the same afternoon, Sunday 20th March, put me at ease. The QF agent was (i) surprised by the situation (ii) understanding and (iii) went beyond my expectations. She told me that there were 3 different QF agents working on resolving my issue at the same time, and she personally dealt with the JQ desk.

After what must have been a 15 minute conversation and waiting, the QF agent assured me that it was a technical error of the JQ website and transferred me to the second JQ agent.

JQ agent 2: understanding and promising
This second JQ agent appeared to be in the know. She was very apologetic and promised that the 20,000 points would be refunded back to my account within 15 business working days.

JQ agent 3: apologetic for the delay
On the 13th business working day after the experience, I made another call to JQ on Wednesday 6th April. I was in no rush to get the points, only wanting to make sure JQ keep their promise. Yet another disappointment… The JQ agent 3 was first not sure what I was talking about. After checking and reading the existing record of the situation at my request, he had me wait for a while, then came back to apologise, stating that there had been a delay for my refund, and that I would get the points within the next 5 days, i.e. Thursday 14th April the latest.

JQ agent 4: true lies?
On Easter Sunday 24th April, 5 weeks after the initial cough-up, I called JQ for the 4th time. Same story line from me: explaining the situation, not yet refunded, what’s going on etcetera. This agent first said there was no record of my situation. Second, at my insistence to double check, he admitted its existence. Third, he made a very bold statement that “too bad, this is NOT a Jetstar problem, and you have to deal with Qantas. We can’t help you” :shock:

What the??? :( You know, I rarely get pissed off on the phone with customer service people (the only time I raised my voice with a telco agent (out-sourced staff) who was extremely persistent in luring me to change my home phone and mobile contracts). Boy I got a little bit peeved, but remained polite for the rest of the conversation. I then requested he let me talk to his supervisor, which of course he wouldn’t and instead put me on hold for a good 15 minutes. He came back and asserted that “Jetstar has no points to refund you and we cannot do anything about this situation. You have to deal with Qantas, sir:mad: He was right in that it’s Qantas that would do the point refunding to me, I thought, maybe.

So I said, alright, I’d like a written and official statement from Jetstar confirming what he had just said, and that I was not satisfied with how JQ handle the issue at all. After another long wait on the phone, he told me that a JQ rep would contact me over the next 5 days.

QF agents 2 and 3: an Easter treat
I double checked with QF. QF agent 2 agreed that QF was the refunder of the points, but only when officially dealt with/informed internally by JQ (this has not happened). He himself would like to help by calling JQ directing from the Platinum desk, but unfortunately the nominated Jetstar agent(s) was/ere not working during Easter break. He asked me to call QF again on Wednesday 27th April, quoting the reference ROQ6561. It’s not the reference of my issue, but rather the procedure reference for the Platinum agent to search and get the Jetstar contact and hopefully solve the issue.

Unfortunately QF agent 3 couldn’t help when I called on Wednesday. He was astounded by the situation but couldn’t get to the right JQ staff. Turned out the phone number as the result of the ROQ6561 procedure search was a landline (03) 8xx_ xx_x (can’t remember), which was no longer valid. Qantas should update it to (03) 9347 0091 or simply 131 538. I don’t know whom this QF agent 3 talked to, but he was advised that I would need to deal with 3K, not JQ. But aren’t 3K and JQ the same, at least in their customer service departments?!?!?

An experience of service failure: Missing-in-action heroes that can lead to potential customer rage
I worked in retail when I was doing my undergrad, and I now work in a service provision environment, so I understand the pressure that customer service agents get from unhappy customer. But some consistency would have been nice!

The servicescape theory clearly states that managers, employees and technology are some of those factors affecting the customer’s service experience. This experience, to me, is a complete service failure from Jetstar.

So what now…

1. Simon Westaway: Mr Simon Westaway is an (official?) JQ rep on AFF. I was very impressed by the way he and his CRM team handled my OH’s Star* class booking not too long ago. However, Mr Westaway has been MIA. I sent a message directly to his official Jetstar email and to the CRM email on Wednesday 13th April but received neither acknowledgement nor response to date.

2. JQ agents: I sympathise with their lack of knowledge on how to solve the issues. Do they need training? Do they need to up their game? I am patiently waiting for their CRM agent to call me back.

3. JQ website: The fact that the website took my points without charging me or issuing me with an itinerary (which I am no longer interested) is a complete rip-off.

4. The battle goes on: I want to get those 20,000 points back. I might send this to some friends/colleagues who might want to turn it into a case study for their Business students. I might also ask for the $50 customer service guarantee from Jetstar.

There you go. Hope you’ve been patient with the long post.

I am following Msdrron’s footsteps, and I am not letting it go until I get a favourable outcome (after all, those points were hard earned). More updates in due course.

Voyages.:!:

Last edited:
Best of luck, Voyages. Excellent summary. The upside, if there is one, is that the Platinum desk is living up to peoples' expectations in providing outstanding service to the top tier. I'm not the least bit surprised in JQ's incompetence. As I posted in the JQ customer guarantee thread, it would have been easier to create world peace than to get JQ to honour their end of the bargain.

Keep at it and keep us posted.

I sympathise, Voyages. Don't give up the fight! You're doing the right thing by recording all conversations, it seems to be the only way to pin them down.

I've had my own refund battle with Jetstar this week - for $2493 in cash that they first agreed to refund on 28th March. When I called this week ( a month later) the operator told me the refund had been refused by finance on the 29th of March and they would give me a voucher. This awakened my inner female dog and after a long argument, and ages on hold, they agreed to my refund. I called back yesterday and got a new operator to verify that my refund had been processed and I would receive it in 15 working days. I have recorded names, dates and operator numbers just in case. It shouldn't be this hard.

I too have flown Jetstar occasionally in the past, and while I've experienced quite a few delays (more than with all other carriers combined) I've never been a Jetstar basher; they fulfil a need in the LCC Aussie market and do a reasonable job of it, most of the time.
Unfortunately my own refund fiasco coincided with unhelpful checkin staff and a delayed JQ flight basically causing me to miss a connecting flight over Easter weekend, so it is fair to say my opinion of Jetstar and the service they provide has taken a sharp dive this week. I'll be far less likely to book with Jetstar in the future.

I'm sure you'll get your 20,000 points back.. eventually. Though I'm sure you too will think carefully about booking again?

I feel for you Voyages, what an ordeal!

I guess that's where you really see the impact if a LCC provider, the service and problem solving capabilities when something goes wrong. Often it's basic systems that make it hard.

It would of been better if Qantas took ownership of this matter and offered to chase this up with JQ on your behalf since it's a FF points matter.

QF would know how inferior JQ service/systems can be, so showing initiative to sort this out for the customer is what would elevate QF to ok/good to great customer service.

Too long, didn't read.
:oops: not even the title, the first few and last few sentences? :mrgreen:

Stick at it Voyages! ....and keep us posted. :)
Most definitely, TonyHancock. Thanks!

Have you tried sending Simon Westaway a PM via AFF and refering to this thread :?:
No, I haven't, straitman. The last time I checked, he hadn't been online for a while. I plan to do so next week, though.

Best of luck, Voyages. Excellent summary. The upside, if there is one, is that the Platinum desk is living up to peoples' expectations in providing outstanding service to the top tier. I'm not the least bit surprised in JQ's incompetence. As I posted in the JQ customer guarantee thread, it would have been easier to create world peace than to get JQ to honour their end of the bargain.

Keep at it and keep us posted.
Thank you, Danger. I agree re Platinum desk. They've been outstanding thus far. I am just puzzled by how 'difficult' it is for JQ to refund my points. Will update more when I've got any news.

Good work Voyages, you have more patience than me - thats for sure!
Thanks munitalP! I do hope to get the points back before 21st May. I am concerned that the 'reference' of my alleged booking will disappear on that day, when I was 'supposed' to fly from KUL to SIN.

I sympathise, Voyages. Don't give up the fight! You're doing the right thing by recording all conversations, it seems to be the only way to pin them down.

I've had my own refund battle with Jetstar this week - for $2493 in cash that they first agreed to refund on 28th March. .... I have recorded names, dates and operator numbers just in case. It shouldn't be this hard.

I'm sure you'll get your 20,000 points back.. eventually. Though I'm sure you too will think carefully about booking again?
Hi missafternoondelight, thanks for sharing my frustration. I am glad to know you've got your $2493 refund at last :). I think I read about your ordeal in the other thread. I have only recorded the dates and what's been said. I wish I'd got the names and operator numbers (just in case, like you said).

My first flight with Jetstar was a 3K flight from HKG to SIN during my holidays in Asia last year. It was a very memorable flight for me, as someone I had chased for months asked me to be his OH :oops: (still is, hehe) while we're somewhere above the Pacific. It was special. And I was happy.

I still plan to book flights with Jetstar in the future, mainly for the short haul 3K flights (and *Class when they're on sales). But I will be extra careful. This current situation has been very unpleasant.

I feel for you Voyages, what an ordeal!

I guess that's where you really see the impact if a LCC provider, the service and problem solving capabilities when something goes wrong. Often it's basic systems that make it hard.

It would of been better if Qantas took ownership of this matter and offered to chase this up with JQ on your behalf since it's a FF points matter.

QF would know how inferior JQ service/systems can be, so showing initiative to sort this out for the customer is what would elevate QF to ok/good to great customer service.

Thanks for your thought, Timba-Jet. You know the thought of QF's taking ownership of the matter has crossed my mind a couple of times. Perhaps it is the last resort if I don't get anywhere by mid May. And I am sure QF does know the inferiority of JQ service problems. Though none of the Platinum agents I've dealt with has made any negative comments about JQ, they did not contest when I used the words 'failure', 'incompetent', 'disappointment', etc.

Talking about problem solving capabilities, it'd have been nice if Jetstar had done something similar to Accor when they couldn't charge my credit card. I entered a wrong expiry date of my CC :oops: (got a renewed card with a different date but I kept using the old one). I only realised my mistake when I got an email from the hotel I booked with advising me to contact them regarding the charge.

Last edited:
An excellent summary of an unfortunate customer experience Voyages (Too long? Hardly!).

Seems you've had a mixed bag of agents, and an unfortunate experience to deal with. I agree with whoever posted that it would be really good if a suitably motivated agent (QF, most likely) would grab this one by the horns and follow it all the way through for you.

I've little doubt you'll get your points back eventually, but no way should it be costing you this much time and effort to do so.

Too long, didn't read.

Why would you bother writing this? I'm pretty sure no one cares.

To the OP, thanks for sharing. I've used JQi extensively and am pretty sure it's only a matter of time before I have a problem leading to similar frustration so I will monitor your story with interest!

Thanks for sharing...

The more I hear about JQ, the more i realise how disjointed as an airline they are.

If you can be bothered, you could probably go the small claims court route and get the points back (or cash equivalent) - I've read in the past of JQ rather quickly coming up with promised refunds, etc as soon as they get the summons (cheaper than sending someone to court, obviously).

Thanks for sharing...
The more I hear about JQ, the more i realise how disjointed as an airline they are.

I don't think this is a JQ problem, it's more of a problem of not giving good training for their helpdesk staff coupled with the fact that most helpdesk staff don't really care, for most of them it's a job which pays the bills, not a career. (I know for me it certainly was)

Furthermore their own KPI's work against customer service, I remember my time on a help desk, our own KPI was how many phonecalls we could answer and how many tickets we could get logged in a hour, not if we could help the customer. For us there where monthly awards for getting big numbersw of calls answered \ tickets logged, but no awards for actually helping a customer.

Most companies are guilty of this.

It also doesn't help that most computer systems built for companies have a ton of restrictions built into them to stop front line staff from doing things, so when the person states that they can't get the computers to do certain things, they are telling the truth... (Something else I hate, and try very hard not to introduce into my own systems)

Good luck Voyages,

Too long, didn't read.
So why go to the effort of replying rather than ignoring the post altogether?

Many thanks to QF029, Mal, opusman, and harvyk for your support and drron for your message. I feel the love :p

opusman
, I hope I won't need to go down that path, but it's a valid suggestion indeed.

harvyk I agree with you about the lack of training and the extent to which staff are restrained somewhat from performing certain activities due to restrictions imposed by their IS.

Last edited:
As an update...

So I couldn't help it but calling Jetstar this morning, and spent 5 minutes to another JQ agent.

JQ agent 5: comprehensive and assuring
An interesting few minutes of conversation. She was very detailed in verifying my details:

• My name, physical address, mobile number;
  • Who made the booking, who was travelling;
  • The relationship between myself and the pax; and
  • Name, physical address and mobile number of the pax.
This was the first time of many phone calls that a JQ agent was that comprehensive. Also, I am still baffled by the existence of a 'ticket' or 'booking' of sort in JQ system (noting that they never paid for the tax, just lost the points, and I received no ticket/itinerary/confirmation). I didn't actually ask her if it was a formal booking though, darn!

Further, she made no mention of the fact that a JQ CRM person was meant to call me this week (but I am not sure if this was recorded in their system).

Lastly, and the biggest surprise of all, she told me that there had been a request for a refund of the points to my account, and that I should get it in 15 days. So I asked her to check the date of the request, to which she confirmed to be 20th March, the original day when the incident happened :shock:. She then realised it'd been 6 weeks without progress, but didn't/couldn't know why :-|. Hence, she assured me that the matter will be escalated (or not, I am not sure) and that I'd get my points back, *eventually*. :confused:

I will probably call them again next week if nothing happens. So time consuming...:!:

As an update...

JQ Agent 7: Will action the claim today

A JQ agent called me today. My OH picked up so I don't have the full details. However, the agent stated that she would take action on my refund claim today. I don't know the motivation of the call, or when the points will be transferred back to my account. I see this is a positive step :arrow:, though.

As a frequent JQ and JQi customer, I feel your pain!

I have had a few issues with their customer service. You have done all the right things.

Persistence is key
Keep detailed notes of all you discussions
Be polite to the call centre peeps; it is not their fault they are poorly trained
Call early in the morning - your call is answered more quickly and you occasionally get someone in Australia

It is very annoying that the customer never gets to speak with a supervisor. Instead, we have to rely on a CSA's version of the story, that may, for innocent reasons, not be quite accurate.

If all else fails write to the real Simon Westaway. That should produce a quick response.

I have never had a promised target date met, yet.

After all that, once you actually get your BIS on a JQ aircraft all goes relatively smoothly.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Last edited:
As an update...

JQ Agent 7: Will action the claim today

A JQ agent called me today. My OH picked up so I don't have the full details. However, the agent stated that she would take action on my refund claim today. I don't know the motivation of the call, or when the points will be transferred back to my account. I see this is a positive step :arrow:, though.

When you get your points back, ask for compensation!

I think its such a shame that it appears the fault rests entirely with them but without your endless phonecalls, nothing would actually ever get resolved. it is beyond unacceptable. I have become very ruthless over the last few years where i explain my situation, advise what i would like done to resolve the matter and advise them there and then of my intention to refer the matter to the magistrates/small claims court should the matter not be resolved within 30 days. Generally, this works but in the odd case it doesnt, the minute the receive the claim, its resolved very very quickly! Its a shame thats what it takes to make them accountable and do the right thing, as I do not have the time nor patience to pander to their inefficiancy.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Call early in the morning - your call is answered more quickly and you occasionally get someone in Australia

It is very annoying that the customer never gets to speak with a supervisor. Instead, we have to rely on a CSA's version of the story, that may, for innocent reasons, not be quite accurate.

If all else fails write to the real Simon Westaway. That should produce a quick response.

I have never had a promised target date met, yet.

BrisVegas Traveller, I also find that morning calls are best, though I've never had anyone in Australia.

I did send an email to the real Simon Westaway (not that hard to get his email really). I also messaged their CRM team, whose email is not published on the JQ website (not that I know of). No one has responded to date.

Funny you mentioned their failure to meet their own targets. The JQ agent who called me today again said that the points would be credited to my account within the next 15 days. This is the THIRD 15-day periods that Jetstar staff have promised. Unbelievable! If you can't do it, why bother promising at al?

I am going to ask for the $50 voucher.

...it is beyond unacceptable. I have become very ruthless over the last few years where i explain my situation, advise what i would like done to resolve the matter and advise them there and then of my intention to refer the matter to the magistrates/small claims court should the matter not be resolved within 30 days. Generally, this works but in the odd case it doesnt, the minute the receive the claim, its resolved very very quickly! Its a shame thats what it takes to make them accountable and do the right thing, as I do not have the time nor patience to pander to their inefficiancy.

It has been a frustrating experience for me, zeiron. I am glad your issues have worked out for you. Perhaps I'll just adopt your approach next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back