Citigold membership perks

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolsteps

1. Has any Citigold members gotten the Citibank Platinum Credit Card and not maintained at least 100k but continue to have the $250 annual fee waived the following year when it is due at the discretion of Citibank? I wonder if they do a check what your total deposits and investments are with Citibank when the annual fee is due? if so i wonder if i simply deposit 100k in my online saver one day before the statement is generated and then transfer it back out a few days later will suffice. On the letter of offer it says that the annual fee will continued to be waived as long as you remain a citigold member and maintain at least a 100k balance at the time of renewal but at their discretion. Apart from getting the Citibank Platinum Credit Card $250 annual fee waived and only needing a 20k income to qualify for it, and welcoming you as a citigold client with two free movies tickets in the mail,
2. Are there any other real useful benefits for members? I.e. with access to International SOS thing, you still need to pay if you need medical treatment so what’s the point. This URL lists some more benefits Citigold

To be honest no real perks. All fairly standard stuff...

After reading that page, the only thing that jumped out was

Citigold Centres

Citigold Centres are like no other bank. They are custom designed so you can do your banking in a single, comfortable location. At Citigold Centres, there are none of the usual teller queues. Instead, you'll be ushered to private meeting rooms where you can meet with your Relationship Manager.

It seems to imply I can do my daily transaction with my RM, but I doubt they can process my deposits

Don't know about in Australia, but from what I've read in the fine print about Citigold here in Singapore, it's all about making you feel special and the same time maximising their cut of your hard earned money, irrespective of what gimmicks they may throw out you. ;)

Sorry can't be more constructive than that.

Don't know about in Australia, but from what I've read in the fine print about Citigold here in Singapore, it's all about making you feel special and the same time maximising their cut of your hard earned money, irrespective of what gimmicks they may throw out you. ;)

Sorry can't be more constructive than that.
[FONT=&quot]ref. Pre-Arrival Account Opening for selected bank accounts and credit cards , has anyone rigestered at a citigold centre opened up an overseas citi account with a credit card ? I called up the intl call centre which i think is in Singapore (code 65) and they said since im already a citigold member in Australia i dont have to maintain any minimum balance in another overseas country. I wonder if they check you maintain 100k balance in australia and what other requirements there would be to get a credit card overseas approved? would i have to have proof of employment in the overseas country and show visa status prior to account being approved? I was also told that i would need to have an appointment face to face after i arrive in that country before the account can be opened. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I wonder if they check you maintain 100k balance in australia and what other requirements there would be to get a credit card overseas approved? would i have to have proof of employment in the overseas country and show visa status prior to account being approved? I was also told that i would need to have an appointment face to face after i arrive in that country before the account can be opened. [/FONT]

I imagine the requirements may vary by country. My experience in Singapore as a non Citigold member (although I was offered Citigold, provided I met certain criteria within a timeframe) was that they were happy to open the account prearrival, but needed my employer details, a deposit and a copy of my passport and IIRC employment pass before I could actually access the account. Ditto with CC, they opened both at same time.

Also a word of warning if you plan on moving currency(which part of the reason for my cynicism) is that they make a song and dance about fee free foreign currency transfer, which is, at least on paper, true. However, I've found using third parties (such as Ozforex) who do charge fees, return about 2% better than Citibank (which hides fees in abysmal exchange rates). Fine for small amounts, but if you are wanting to move larger sums of money it all adds up.

Do you need to tell them you have $100k in the bank, or can they detect your bank balance, then automatically upgrade you to Citigold member?

Do you need to tell them you have $100k in the bank, or can they detect your bank balance, then automatically upgrade you to Citigold member?
im not sure on the rules. citibank call centre service is terrible. some tell you arent allowed to apply for it over the phone and that it is by invitation only. my wifes account was converted automatically after a few weeks. myself i had to call up many times to no avail and finally got the wifes same relationship manager to enter in the codes to convert my online banking to gold after many weeks. im not sure if there are any set rules. if anyone know please let us know. the only good thing about it is you can request your relationship manager to arrange to have your credit card annual fees waived and upgraded to platinum etc. not sure if its waived every year automatically if you dont maintain 100k. i think my wifes lost the citigold status automatically. its not gold anymore when she logs on im not sure why maybe coz she let her balance drop to 1 cent for many months? just worried about her credit annual fee renewal weather it will be waiving again or not?

Last edited:
im not sure on the rules. citibank call centre service is terrible. some tell you arent allowed to apply for it over the phone and that it is by invitation only. my wifes account was converted automatically after a few weeks. myself i had to call up many times to no avail and finally got the same relationship manager enter in the codes to convert my online banking to gold after many weeks. im not sure if there are any set rules. if anyone know please let us know. the only good thing about it is you can request your relationship manager have the credit card annual fees waived etc. not sure if its waived every year if you dont maintain 100k. my wifes lost the citigold status automatically. its not gold anymore when she logs on im not sure why maybe coz she let her balance drop to 1 cent for many months? just worried about her credit annual fee renewal weather it will be waiving again or not?

Ok thanks for your feedback. I recently set up a Citibank account and just deposited $100k into it. I'll wait to see if they send me an invitation letter or not.

It also said it will provide a Platinum credit card by default. That sounds very attractive with no annual fee.

If I don't hear from them for while, may as well walk into the branch and request about my status, given many agree the bank call centre service is so horrible.

Ok thanks for your feedback. I recently set up a Citibank account and just deposited $100k into it. I'll wait to see if they send me an invitation letter or not.

It also said it will provide a Platinum credit card by default. That sounds very attractive with no annual fee.

If I don't hear from them for while, may as well walk into the branch and request about my status, given many agree the bank call centre service is so horrible.

where or who said that with gitigold status they will provide a Platinum credit card by default? my understanding for any credit card you still need to meet their credit rules and still need to apply. mind you its easier since you only need to have and prove income of 20k to get a platinum card via a special application form if you are a citigold member. you can also convert and upgrade your current citibank credit to a platinum no annual fee subject to maintaining the 100k every year. the wife even got some movie tickets to welcome her to gitigoldand, and then was offered a 4.9% balance transfer for life with a the minimum credit limit of 5k if she applied for a yearly waived annual fee Platinum credit card . yes it says no annual fee in the terms but in the fine print it says also you need to keep a 100k+ in investments or loans and retain your citigold status upon your annual fee yearly due date. so i really wonder how strict they are about this and even if they check every year since i only got 1 cent balance now lol? let us know how you get on. it doesn't hurt to call or visit a branch to speed up the process.

I recently went below the 100k mark, and was sent a letter i needed to top up. This was some 2 months ago, and they still classify me as Citigold...

So they do monitor, and I believe they will eventually kick you out if you don't top up.

where or who said that with gitigold status they will provide a Platinum credit card by default? my understanding for any credit card you still need to meet their credit rules and still need to apply. mind you its easier since you only need to have and prove income of 20k to get a platinum card via a special application form if you are a citigold member. you can also convert and upgrade your current citibank credit to a platinum no annual fee subject to maintaining the 100k every year. the wife even got some movie tickets to welcome her to gitigoldand, and then was offered a 4.9% balance transfer for life with a the minimum credit limit of 5k if she applied for a yearly waived annual fee Platinum credit card . yes it says no annual fee in the terms but in the fine print it says also you need to keep a 100k+ in investments or loans and retain your citigold status upon your annual fee yearly due date. so i really wonder how strict they are about this and even if they check every year since i only got 1 cent balance now lol? let us know how you get on. it doesn't hurt to call or visit a branch to speed up the process.

Yes you are right, fair enough. They need to do some credit checks before granting any credit card. But 20k income is very low indeed for a Platinum card.

No doubt it is great, as you can earn 2 Citi reward points per dollar until 1 Jan 2012.

I just have to pop into the branch soon and enquire being a Citigold member.

I just went into the Citibank branch today and told them I got $100k in my bank account, and the staff immediately enrolled me into the Citigold programme. A platinum credit card will be provided, and it only needs $20k income as verification. Otherwise it is $100k if any one isn't a Citigold member. So thats excellent, as the annual fee is waived too, provided I can keep $100k all the time.

In regards to Singapore Airlines miles, the staff said it is 1 dollar per mile for the platinum card, so it is another great deal!

The log in details for the account will be reset to Citigold status as soon as possible.

I just went into the Citibank branch today and told them I got $100k in my bank account, and the staff immediately enrolled me into the Citigold programme. A platinum credit card will be provided, and it only needs $20k income as verification. Otherwise it is $100k if any one isn't a Citigold member. So thats excellent, as the annual fee is waived too, provided I can keep $100k all the time.

In regards to Singapore Airlines miles, the staff said it is 1 dollar per mile for the platinum card, so it is another great deal!

The log in details for the account will be reset to Citigold status as soon as possible.
yes well done congrats. going into a branch speeds up things. ref the 100k rule, I think your balance is allow to fluctuate. i havent kept $100k all the time and still had no warning and still a member and have the citigold status. the real test will come when the credit card annual fee is due as im not sure what will happen then if i dont have 100k deposited or invested with citibank. i think i'm best to deposit 100k back in to the savings account during that month to be on the safe side.? For those that have taken advantage of the pre-arrival savings and credit card account opening service for an overseas country do they ask for proof that you have employment and residency status in the other country? i wouldn't mine having both a savings and credit card in another country for the time i spent there on holidays etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back