Citibank- transfering points before devaulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyo

I searched for a thread on this topic but couldn't find anything current. I have a citibank signature card with a significant accumulation of points. I would like to transfer them to either Kris Flyer or velocity before the devaluation in March. We don't do much travel in Australia so I was thinking that it would be better to transfer to Krisflyer but I am a bit worried about their expiry. I have heard it is three years but would like to know if there are ways to keep points alive like with other airlines or do I have to actually fly or use the points? If so, that would be a deal breaker for me as we save up for a few years for a J ticket and then try to go on a nice trip. I also already have quite a large balance in Velocity thanks to last year's amex offer. What are other people doing with their Citibank points?

KrisFlyer miles expire in a rolling fashion after three years and there is no way of keeping these active as in VF of QF programme.

Well then I guess Krisflyer is not a place for me to store points. Is everyone going to be transferring their balances out of Citibank prior to March 18 or do you think they may offer a last minute reprieve of some sort?

Well then I guess Krisflyer is not a place for me to store points. Is everyone going to be transferring their balances out of Citibank prior to March 18 or do you think they may offer a last minute reprieve of some sort?

I'm definitely transferring my points out before March 18th, I don't think there will be a reprieve.

Mine are all gone. Card has taken up place in the drawer and I'll just use it for my free priority pass

I'm wondering if everyone is on the same billing cycle? I have over 900,000 points to transfer to KF in early March and Citi's site might crash in the few days before D-day as everyone does the same thing.

I'm hoping that the threat of expiry will force me to book some F class seats to Europe in the next couple of years so I'll have to take holidays!

I'm wondering if everyone is on the same billing cycle?
Definitely not the same billing cycle. But billing cycle has nothing to do with this particular issue, points are accumulated as you go as opposed to say interest where interest may well be accrued daily you only see it hitting the account once a month. With points if you are making transactions daily points will increase daily on the Citibank site.

Definitely not the same billing cycle. But billing cycle has nothing to do with this particular issue, points are accumulated as you go as opposed to say interest where interest may well be accrued daily you only see it hitting the account once a month. With points if you are making transactions daily points will increase daily on the Citibank site.

Thanks for the clarification, burmans. I've never checked points on the site; I only notice them on my statement. In that case I'll be transferring sooner than anticipated. :)

I just sent some more to velocity & keeping the min 15k balance to do some more before the devaluation. I have plenty of velocity points already but couldn't pass up the opportunity for extra 0.33 points while it exists.
Recently did my first Asia Miles redemption when I cleaned out my ANZ points, may send them to AM when I next redeem Citi points.

I just sent some more to velocity & keeping the min 15k balance to do some more before the devaluation. I have plenty of velocity points already but couldn't pass up the opportunity for extra 0.33 points while it exists.
Recently did my first Asia Miles redemption when I cleaned out my ANZ points, may send them to AM when I next redeem Citi points.

Hi albyd, how was your experience with Asia Miles?, availability , easy to redeem . I've been wondering about AM. Cheers Mark

Would also be interested in hearing about your experience Albyd.

Hi Mark4217 & LadyC,

I've booked J return in May to HK back in December. Website was quite good and showing good availability for 6 months out. I got the call center to help given the well known issues with calculating mileage with AM and there being no concessions for web booking. I actually prefer talking to a human.
Availability was disappearing while I was booking & ended up with outbound via BNE in J wth QF. Wait listed for a direct flight from SYD which came through about 3 weeks later. Was $300 change fee but was worth it to get an extra day.
I was short a small # of points & opted to buy them (about 5c/pt so not cheap) to lock in my booking.
Happy so far & subject to a good experience on board (1st time on CX). Will be good to diversify away from Velocity esp in case private equity owners feel tempted to devalue our points at some stage.
Booked my Prestige limo rides to hotel & back.

Thanks Albyd, much appreciated. Think I will follow your advise. Good to hear all went well, pending TR. cheers M

I'm wondering if everyone is on the same billing cycle? I have over 900,000 points to transfer to KF in early March and Citi's site might crash in the few days before D-day as everyone does the same thing.

I'm hoping that the threat of expiry will force me to book some F class seats to Europe in the next couple of years so I'll have to take holidays!

transfer ! transfer ! transfer !!....WARNING,WARNING,WARNING !!!! transfer ! transfer ! transfer !
This time round I doubt they will recant as they have given plenty of pre notice of the changes and all the others are dropping as well.'
At the end of the day it is just the dawning of the age of reduced earning of points IMHO

Citi have changed their redemption rate for SQ and VA regardless of when the points have been or will be earned. The others have changed their earn rate but not their redemption rate, so that points accumulated before changes retain their previous value and new purchases give fewer FF miles. Thus warehoused points with the others remain fine.

If KF are about to expire, can always transfer to VA.

That is an interesting idea. I think KF are probably more valuable than velocity but not sure I will have a use for them within three years. If I roll the dice and transfer to KF now, and later on I need to transfer to VA, I will probably lose the benefit of transferring now instead of waiting for when I can use them

So transfer as many as you think you can use in 3 years and the rest to VA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back