Citi Points Cap on Platinum Card - Strict?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Has anyone had experience in relation to Citibank's points caps on their credit cards? Specifically, has anyone been able to earn over the cap?

Cheers

Hi all

Has anyone had experience in relation to Citibank's points caps on their credit cards? Specifically, has anyone been able to earn over the cap?

Cheers

I've reached the points cap on my CBG twice in previous years - once when it was 80k pa and again after it changed to 250k pa - and in both cases it was strictly enforced.

That being said, by my calculations I should have just reached the points cap on my CBG for this membership year and yet I still seem to be earning points. I need to call them to enquire as to how much of my points cap remains, so I can try to figure out if they're not enforcing it properly or if my calculations are out - the latter is entirely possible as it's a bit confusing for me this year, as I've also got a bonus points offer like you, plus was offered an additional 10k CR points (an extra 1 CR point per $1 spent for the next $10,000 of spend) recently, plus was gifted 10k CR points during the year, and CitiBank don't provide a detailed log of how / where CR points have been earned anywhere.

The lack of a points per transaction listing makes Citi hard to follow and work out your points earn. If you put one transaction on the card in a month it becomes quite visible but when there are many transactions a month it becomes way more difficult to check.

I managed to sneak through for 2 years $500-600K spend on the GOLD card and as soon as I upgraded to PLatinum they began to enforce cap limits ??? Go figure :mrgreen:

UPDATE

It looks like I've now hit my cap. I was previously receiving the standard 1.25 points PLUS 2 bonus points per domestic $1 spent. I am now just receiving my 2 bonus points per $1. Not worst case scenario. Effective 1.33 KF points per $1 is not too bad.

UPDATE

It looks like I've now hit my cap. I was previously receiving the standard 1.25 points PLUS 2 bonus points per domestic $1 spent. I am now just receiving my 2 bonus points per $1. Not worst case scenario. Effective 1.33 KF points per $1 is not too bad.

Same thing has just happened on my CitiBusiness Gold too, which is why I was confused about whether my points cap was being enforced properly or not (as per earlier post) - I've hit my cap, stopped getting the regular 1.25 points per dollar, but am still getting the 1 bonus point per dollar.

I guess this sorts out your problem re needing another card to tide you over until the points cap resets perthtraveller, as per what you posted in another thread?

Same thing has just happened on my CitiBusiness Gold too, which is why I was confused about whether my points cap was being enforced properly or not (as per earlier post) - I've hit my cap, stopped getting the regular 1.25 points per dollar, but am still getting the 1 bonus point per dollar.

I guess this sorts out your problem re needing another card to tide you over until the points cap resets perthtraveller, as per what you posted in another thread?

Well my bonus points offer ends on 31 Dec and not too happy with earning an effective 1.33 KF points per $1 (call me greedy) until then so I have started my painful but hopefully fruitful negotiations with Citi this week.

The current offer on the table is the Select with the annual fee waived in the first year (which I'm sure I could waive every subsequent year). They offered the Signature fee free (I assume indefinitely) prior to this - not interested in the card due to unavailability of Asia Miles. Not happy with either offer - current Plat is fee free, earning 2.67 KF points per $1 and supp card fees waived - so the upgrade to Select would effectively be a downgrade. After a lot of persistence on my part, the Supervisor in the Customer Relationship team has escalated this.

Currently hoping for a 1/0.5 bonus point arrangement which will give me 2/1.67 KF and 1.5/1.25 AM points per domestic dollar. Wishful thinking but I'd like to think I can extract a little bit more than the current offer! Will keep you posted.

Well my bonus points offer ends on 31 Dec and not too happy with earning an effective 1.33 KF points per $1 (call me greedy) until then so I have started my painful but hopefully fruitful negotiations with Citi this week.

Currently hoping for a 1/0.5 bonus point arrangement which will give me 2/1.67 KF and 1.5/1.25 AM points per domestic dollar. Wishful thinking but I'd like to think I can extract a little bit more than the current offer! Will keep you posted.

Please do, and good luck - with respect, I think you are probably being a little greedy though? What makes you so certain you'll get another 2 bonus points per $1 offer next year on the Plat card? Based on reports these deals (yours, and my 1 bonus point per $1 on CBG) were offered to some people this year, but personally I've never read / heard about them being offered previously, and have always assumed they were a one-off.

The current offer on the table is the Select with the annual fee waived in the first year (which I'm sure I could waive every subsequent year).

I believe that's the first time anyone has reported being offered a Select annual fee waiver for the first year - what did you do / say to achieve this?

Please do, and good luck - with respect, I think you are probably being a little greedy though? What makes you so certain you'll get another 2 bonus points per $1 offer next year on the Plat card? Based on reports these deals (yours, and my 1 bonus point per $1 on CBG) were offered to some people this year, but personally I've never read / heard about them being offered previously, and have always assumed they were a one-off.

I believe that's the first time anyone has reported being offered a Select annual fee waiver for the first year - what did you do / say to achieve this?

Yes I agree - being very greedy. But tell me who wouldn't try to get as much out of these credit card providers as possible? I transferred a lot of my spend to Citi on the basis of my earn rate so negotiating on this basis. Just told them that I am at another decision point in regards to my card portfolio and that I want to know what the BEST offer is from Citi so that I compare to those currently in the market. My leverage? Current Platinum arrangement, large spend, lack of relationship manager (which I have at AMEX), only 3 airline partners (8 at AMEX), >50% annual fee waiver on the Charge etc.

You never know when 'enhancements' will happen so I see no harm in trying to maximise my position on a regular basis.

Yes I agree - being very greedy. But tell me who wouldn't try to get as much out of these credit card providers as possible? I transferred a lot of my spend to Citi on the basis of my earn rate so negotiating on this basis. Just told them that I am at another decision point in regards to my card portfolio and that I want to know what the BEST offer is from Citi so that I compare to those currently in the market. My leverage? Current Platinum arrangement, large spend, lack of relationship manager (which I have at AMEX), only 3 airline partners (8 at AMEX), >50% annual fee waiver on the Charge etc.

You never know when 'enhancements' will happen so I see no harm in trying to maximise my position on a regular basis.
Can I ask who you are negotiating with and how you got hold of them. Seems to me half the challenge here is finding the right person to talk to who actually has the power to make such arrangements!

UPDATE

Customer relationship supervisor called me back today (surprisingly within the timeframe specified!). The current Citi Select offer on the table is as follows:
- Annual fee: first year waived, 50% off every subsequent year
- Sign-on bonus: 10,000 points
- Bonus points: none
- Supplementary cards: 1 in addition to the 4 already free

I asked for the full 50,000 bonus points but was only offered 10,000. She is checking with management on whether this can be increased. Considering I am not paying an annual fee, 10,000 is pretty reasonable already!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any additional points per dollar spent. The consistent reply has been that this offer is no longer available.

Will report back with my final arrangement.

UPDATE

Customer relationship supervisor called me back today (surprisingly within the timeframe specified!). The current Citi Select offer on the table is as follows:
- Annual fee: first year waived, 50% off every subsequent year
- Sign-on bonus: 10,000 points
- Bonus points: none
- Supplementary cards: 1 in addition to the 4 already free

I asked for the full 50,000 bonus points but was only offered 10,000. She is checking with management on whether this can be increased. Considering I am not paying an annual fee, 10,000 is pretty reasonable already!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any additional points per dollar spent. The consistent reply has been that this offer is no longer available.

Will report back with my final arrangement.

FINAL OFFER

I've now upgraded my Platinum card to the Select under the terms listed above. My ridiculously awesome Platinum arrangement will be missed.

Couldn't get the full 50,000 points but I'm generally happy with the offer Citibank have put up. I will be negotiating every anniversary date for the full 100% annual fee waiver - unless there are better offers out in the market at that time.

Last thing to set up is a relatinship manager with Citi.

Yes I agree - being very greedy. But tell me who wouldn't try to get as much out of these credit card providers as possible?

Of course - I wasn't trying to suggest you shouldn't try to get the absolute maximum you can, my point was more that I personally didn't think you'd get everything you were asking for. I was rooting for you though :)

FINAL OFFER

I've now upgraded my Platinum card to the Select under the terms listed above. My ridiculously awesome Platinum arrangement will be missed.

Couldn't get the full 50,000 points but I'm generally happy with the offer Citibank have put up. I will be negotiating every anniversary date for the full 100% annual fee waiver - unless there are better offers out in the market at that time.

Last thing to set up is a relatinship manager with Citi.

Well done, that strikes me as an excellent offer. Thanks for sharing too, AFAIK that is the first time someone has reported getting the Select annual fee reduced / waived without a CitiGold relationship. Great info for people signing up, and also for those of us renewing.

Re the relationship manager, do they actually exist at Citi (outside of CitiGold)?

Of course - I wasn't trying to suggest you shouldn't try to get the absolute maximum you can, my point was more that I personally didn't think you'd get everything you were asking for. I was rooting for you though :)

Well done, that strikes me as an excellent offer. Thanks for sharing too, AFAIK that is the first time someone has reported getting the Select annual fee reduced / waived without a CitiGold relationship. Great info for people signing up, and also for those of us renewing.

Re the relationship manager, do they actually exist at Citi (outside of CitiGold)?

Thanks wafliron. No pain, no gain.

I don't think you get normally get a relationship manager but I have requested one. The very helpful lady I'm speaking to is going to see if it is a possibility. I've found my AMEX relationship manager very helpful (especially the ability to email him).

I don't think you get normally get a relationship manager but I have requested one. The very helpful lady I'm speaking to is going to see if it is a possibility. I've found my AMEX relationship manager very helpful (especially the ability to email him).

I see. Please do let us know if you're successful - I too have an Amex RM and too find that very useful. Would love to be able to replicate with Citi.

I see. Please do let us know if you're successful - I too have an Amex RM and too find that very useful. Would love to be able to replicate with Citi.

No luck with the RM. Apparently RMs are ONLY available through Citigold. The customer relationship supervisor did offer her services when I call up but I hope to not have too many issues now that everything is pretty much set up.

I previously said that I was able to receive 1 extra supp card in addition to the 4 supps provided. However, she stuffed up despite me confirming this point twice with her. An additional 10,000 points for the misrepresentation but, to be honest, I would have rathered the extra card.

Can't win all the time I guess!

No luck with the RM. Apparently RMs are ONLY available through Citigold. The customer relationship supervisor did offer her services when I call up but I hope to not have too many issues now that everything is pretty much set up.

Thanks for the info. A pity, but I don't think you'll find it that big a deal, except perhaps not having someone you can just send an e-mail to - the Select CSRs are, by and large, very good. Much, much better than average CitiBank fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back