Choosing the right Amex card

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalereardon

Hi,

I have an Amex Gold charge card which just earns one MR point per dollar.

I am wondering if there is an Amex card between the current card I have and the Platinum card which has a $1200 annual fee as can't really justify that cost.

Don't want to exclusively earn QFF points from the Amex as that defeats the whole point as could earn more with my bank issued Amex if wanted that.

Their array of cards is just a little confusing.

Thanks,
Dale.

Adding my recommendation for the Platinum Edge. You can earn 3 MR points/$ for spend at major supermarkets, 2MR/$ at major petrol stations and 1MR/$ most other places with exceptions for most insurance, telecommunications and government spend where it's 0.5MR/$. The included return flight each membership year is on VA though from HBA the only destination is MEL, there are more options from mainland cities.

PM me if you would like a referral.

I'd go the Platinum Edge as well, but I'd ring up Amex and ask for it complimentary (free) as your 'companion card'

I already have the Platinum Edge as a companion card for no extra cost but they only gave me a $3K limit unlike the charge card.

I'll talk to them and see if they will raise the limit.

Dale.

I'd hold onto the gold charge for dear life.
Just ask to up the limit on your PE if that's your bottle neck, but I don't find it an issue.

Considering that the platinum charge also earns 1ppd on most spend there's not too much that amex issued amexes can offer you outside of what you currently have.

Also consider cards from other banks, personally i also swing an altitude black amex & anz FF amex which fills their respective niches. Don't think i'd consider another amex issued amex unless they somehow offered to upgrade me to the plat charge for free.

Last edited:
I opened a Business Accelerator (to supplement my Platinum Edge) just over a year ago. It's 2 MR/$ for evrything except insurance/utilities/ATO etc but capped at 100K points per year (ie 50K extra points) for $160. The sums just about work for me to get value out of it but it is pretty close to a bank-earning 1.5 point/$ card whcih will also work for utilities. Previously the statement credits were helpful value-wise but these are being offered less often

Just checked via the Amex Connect site and it seems that I can't now register both Amex-issued cards (Edge and Accelerator) for the latest lot of statement credits. Have been able to previously and not sure if it is because of 2 cards or one being business that is the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back