Can I hold a platinum and gold CC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pksw

Intern
Just a quick question - I have a platinum Amex credit card. Can I apply for a gold Amex credit card (free through one of my professional associations) and keep both cards open, or will my platinum card be automatically closed?

And if I can hold cards simultaneously, will they link to the same membership rewards account?

Amex used to have a limitation of only one card per type (ie, you could have a credit card and a charge card, but not two credit cards).

This was changed a while ago, and until recently I had three cards (Amex Plat credit / Gold Credit [fee free] and a Qantas Premium). It's now back to two cards though.

On the application form, there may be a box that asks if you want to cancel your old card - of course you don't, so ensure it isn't ticked.

Even when I didn't tick that box, Amex still cancelled my Plat card when I added the Qantas card, and I got them to re-instate it after a few phonecalls.

Assuming both cards are eligible for Membership Rewards, then they will be linked. There might be some dramas if they are of different Membership Rewards types - but Gold Credit and Plat Credit both give points to the same Membership Rewards program, so shouldn't be a hassle.

I have two (gold/plat) and have had a third amex (but bank branded) as well. I have never had a problem fortunately and both credit to ascent MR.

On the application form, there may be a box that asks if you want to cancel your old card - of course you don't, so ensure it isn't ticked.

Even when I didn't tick that box, Amex still cancelled my Plat card when I added the Qantas card, and I got them to re-instate it after a few phonecalls.

Thanks Mal,

I used to have a free gold CC, but it got cancelled when I took up the option for a platinum CC. There is indeed a box on the application form asking if I want to cancel my old card. Perhaps if I write in VERY LARGE LETTER on the form that I wish to keep BOTH cards it may avoid the same situation as above.

I used to have a free gold CC, but it got cancelled when I took up the option for a platinum CC.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of applying for something new, and know the card number of your old Gold card, give Amex a call and see if it can be re-activated.

My situation was pretty similar. I had the fee free Gold, then cancelled it to upgrade to the Plat as there was no other option at the time. Then got the Qantas card, and they accidentally cancelled the Plat (twice).

Calling them up and harassing got the Plat back, but additionally they also re-enabled the gold card. I didn't know until a year or two later when I got a phonecall about my gold card offering additional points etc. Phoned up Amex, and they sent out a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back