Best Credit Card for overseas spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjames000

Fellow AFFer's,

I have been plowing through posts for several hours now and am probably more confused than when I started!

So....

What is the general consensus for the best credit card to use whilst overseas (Europe - France/Germany/Netherlands/Spain) which can earn reward points (preferably not qantas points anymore!)

I currently have

ANZ plat amex/visa combo
AMEX plat charge
AMEX plat edge &
Citibank Signature Rewards

Am open to any suggestions for any other cards... or suggestions to which one of my current ones would be best to use..

Many thanks in advance!

Is that Citi a non Qantas card that warehouses points?

certainly is cove... managed to get on board with the 'fee free for life' deal a few weeks ago...

If you are ok with the 3.3% fee to get the spending points we could get to see you reading the SQ Suites thread.
That fee free card is pretty reasonable. Just don't try calling Citibank other than to switch points out of the warehouse when you are ready.

If you are ok with the 3.3% fee to get the spending points we could get to see you reading the SQ Suites thread.
That fee free card is pretty reasonable. Just don't try calling Citibank other than to switch points out of the warehouse when you are ready.

You're preaching to the converted Cove.... already got suites booked SIN-CDG for New Years!

3.3% seems a bit rich... but its 4 points per dollar right? (or 2.66 KF miles per dollar)

Are the amex worth using overseas??

Yes it makes me use 28 degrees in Europe but no points for the small stuff.
I don't use an Australian Amex in Europe unless Amex have an offer.
Look at topcashback for your travels over there as a rebate site.

The platinum charge will earn 2ppd overseas with a similar exchange penalty to the citibank card. The only reason to use it IMO would be for the superior rental car insurance. More generally you would have to read the specifics of the policies re insurance when making up your mind about which card to use. Amex acceptance in Europe can be suboptimal as in Australia.

If it is for Suites points then that 3.3% fee from Citi gets you about 5 cents worth for about 1.3 cents cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back