Best card to use for upgrades on a LONE* or buying a QF OneWorld Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctau

mrsdoctau and I are planning a big (~12 month) RTW trip to leave in about two years time. Part of the early planning for that is figuring out how best to take advantage of credit cards now to give us benefits (like upgrades) when flying then. The OneWorld network fits our plans better, and I'm QF SG now (and probably will be then too) so the best options from that side would be a LONE* ticket and using points to upgrade flights on assorted carriers, or a QF OneWorld Explorer fare.

I have looked into a bit, but since AFF is full of knowledge, I'm definitely asking for ideas :) This is in the CC section of the forum since that's what I'm mostly concerned about now not the LONE*/OWE itself (unless it impacts the chiuce of CCs).

We're thinking of flying BNE to LAX or MEX, overlanding to the bottom of Central America, flying to northern South America (AA via MIA, or potentially now Lan Colombia direct), overlanding down the continent, flying out of SCL or Brazil to MAD, going around Europe for a bit, flying from somewhere to BKK or similar, going around nearby countries and then flying (probably out of BKK again) home. A LONE* would be preferred since it allows more stopovers or side trips, everything else being equal, but obviously it's far from equal when one is a cash fare upgradable on individual carriers versus an aware fare which isn't upgradable but the 280k J award may be doable. A Y ONE aware would save us money, but something that gets us some J flights (even if we pay cash for Y, a la LONE*) would be nice.

Right now I've collecting QF points since almost all personal travel ends up with them, and the small amount of work travel I do tends to be on OW international flights. I have a HSBC platinum (would have cancelled but they waived the fee anf still gave me QP invites) and Macquarie Platinum earning QF points 1:1 on non-QF domestic spend, with about $70-80k a year going through them.

Currently I have ~130k QF points, about 12k SQ points due to expire in a month, and small amounts of points in various other FF and hotel programs.

Since there are two of us, a ONE award means I'll need 280k for Y, 420k for W, or 560k for J. Getting the extra 150k QF points for a Y OWE aware would be easy, but then we'll be in Y the whole way with no possibility of upgrading as far as I can tell. If I switched to an Amex card for most things (earning 1.5 pt/$) and got a few sign up bonuses, I think I should be able to get the 290k points for the W one but many of the flights will not have W class so we'd be really in Y.

With two years and $80k annual spend, I can't see us getting 430k more QF points with 1.5 pt/$ and sign up bonuses. I know some of the cards from Amex itself have higher earn rates for various spending categories, does anything think that would be enough to help?

The second choice is paying for a LONE* and then using points for upgrades with the carriers along the way. For the route, I'd think we have QF/AA to the US, AA to MEX, AA or LA to South America, LA, IB or JJ (TAM) to Europe), IB+CX or QR to Asia and then CX/QF back home. For this option I'll obviously need card(s) that let me store points and then transfer to a different carriers depending on the flights I want to upgrade.

I think a card that lets me get to SPG would be helpful here, as I can transfer points from there on to AA, LA, BA, CX, QR. However from what I can see, an Amex issued card seems to be the only one that does it, at 2:1 to SPG then effectively 1:1.25 (for 20k points due to the bonus) to the airlines.

There are a number of cards that let me transfer to CX but I'm probably not going to be flying much or at all with them.

Any suggestions of what the best idea may be?

Only you can determine if you will spend enough to get the points.

Using QF points you can only upgrade segments on QF Metal and booked using the QF code,
so at best you could upgrade BNE-LAX and BKK-BNE.
Note that QF upgrades are not confirmed until close to the day of travel (or at the gate) so it is a lottery.

SPG to AA is OK, but you are losing a few points in the transfer process.
The advantage of AA upgrades is they can be immediately confirmed
The disadvantage is AA's generally poor (relative) premium cabins
(apart from the new 777-300ER and the new A321 transcon (launches Jan-14)
AA can also upgrade on BA/IB (unsure if this is immediate or not)

I don't know enough about CX, LA or QR, or whether SPG can funnel to any of them.

The difficulty with that strategy is if flights are not auto-confirmed, or you need to transfer points first, you might end up with orphan points.

Note that the award is not a round-the-world award, and is not a ONE award. It is a oneworld award with much tighter restrictions and availability. I'm not sure how many stops you want etc., but two xONExs are going to be significantly easier to organise. If going in Y, i would start from NZ for the cheaper fare (unless this has changed recently). Can you just pay the extra to start from JNB and buy a DONEX? The saving is considerable, as you may be only looking at around ~$6600inc taxes. Then you could use JASAs or even YASAs/Classics to get there to start it off...

Note that the award is not a round-the-world award, and is not a ONE award. It is a oneworld award with much tighter restrictions and availability. I'm not sure how many stops you want etc., but two xONExs are going to be significantly easier to organise.

I'm aware of that, but haven't ruled out using a OW Explorer award. The limitations would be a problem for booking the ticket since late flights won't be avaibale until shortly before we leave, so it would probably only happen is there were AFFers with great ideas :)

If going in Y, i would start from NZ for the cheaper fare (unless this has changed recently). Can you just pay the extra to start from JNB and buy a DONEX? The saving is considerable, as you may be only looking at around ~$6600inc taxes. Then you could use JASAs or even YASAs/Classics to get there to start it off...

I'd looked at other countries but hadn't thought about going there for a DONE, since they're too expensive from here. I'll have to think about that option :) In any case, that belongs in another thread elsewhere. Thanks for the idea

Note that QF upgrades are not confirmed until close to the day of travel (or at the gate) so it is a lottery.

Yes, that is definitely a problem and one of the reasons I was looking at upgrading other carrier flights. As you say, AA are generally instantly upgraded so is a bit better in this situation.

SPG to AA is OK, but you are losing a few points in the transfer process.
The advantage of AA upgrades is they can be immediately confirmed
The disadvantage is AA's generally poor (relative) premium cabins
(apart from the new 777-300ER and the new A321 transcon (launches Jan-14)
AA can also upgrade on BA/IB (unsure if this is immediate or not)

Useful to know thanks, my only experience of AA at this stage is Y. I'm planning to skip BA to avoid LHR, but I might end up with IB to/from/around Europe. Spain is mrsdoctau's current priority destination for the trip.

I don't know enough about CX, LA or QR, or whether SPG can funnel to any of them.

They're on https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/transfer/airline_partner_list.html (sorry, I forgot to add the link earlier). Of course, any of them could get enhanced away in the next 2 years, but I would hope t

The difficulty with that strategy is if flights are not auto-confirmed, or you need to transfer points first, you might end up with orphan points.

Yes, that's a potential concern. If the attempted upgrade was going into the carrier's region I would have the fallback of being able to use them to book some local flights. I wouldn't want to transfer them to LAN in an attempt to upgrade a flight to Europe, not get it (if they use a QF-style lottery) and have them stuck there.

From a card and earning POV, ignoring annual fees, I would be looking towards an Amex Plat charge. Affiliation cards go for around $900 and comes with a plat reserve which you can (or could) turn into a plat edge.
This combo gives you ascent premium so allows transfer to QF as well as the normal MR partners as decent rates. Also earns 3ppd on restuarants and supermarkets, 2ppd on travel, foreign exchange and fuel and 1 ppd most other things except the 0.5ppd categories (gov tax, insurance, utilities).

If you don't need extra QF points, then the reserve and the edge end up with the same earn, and would give you 2 free domestic flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back