Avoid MR Ascent Fee With Gold Ascent Credit Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohy?!

Established Member
Qantas
Silver
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has tried this successfully before:

I have an existing Amex Green Card (with Annual and Ascent MR Fees).

To avoid the MR fee I was thinking to apply for the Gold Ascent Credit Card (without mentioning my existing Amex card number on the application). The Gold Credit Card should then have a seperate MR account created - I would burn/transfer existing points for Green Card MR then cancel at next renewal.

I would then link Green Card and Gold Credit Credit MR programs and Voila! Fee-free MR for both cards (hopefully)

Any thoughts on this? The only problems I can forsee is the MR 'tier' for the Gold Credit Card being different (ie not 'New Ascent') but unsure about this...

yohy?! said:
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has tried this successfully before:

I have an existing Amex Green Card (with Annual and Ascent MR Fees).

To avoid the MR fee I was thinking to apply for the Gold Ascent Credit Card (without mentioning my existing Amex card number on the application). The Gold Credit Card should then have a seperate MR account created - I would burn/transfer existing points for Green Card MR then cancel at next renewal.

I would then link Green Card and Gold Credit Credit MR programs and Voila! Fee-free MR for both cards (hopefully)

Any thoughts on this? The only problems I can forsee is the MR 'tier' for the Gold Credit Card being different (ie not 'New Ascent') but unsure about this...
There is of course the issue of having to specify your other liabilities on the application, including the existing Amex.

I also don't see what benefit you get from undertaking this cunning plan to keep the existing card. There are the same limitations on acceptance on either card.

Why don't you just apply the gold ascent credit card and link it with your green?:confused:
same result!

There is of course the issue of having to specify your other liabilities on the application, including the existing Amex.

I also don't see what benefit you get from undertaking this cunning plan to keep the existing card. There are the same limitations on acceptance on either card.

The aim is to avoid the MR fee, being a charge card that is paid in full each month I wouldn't think that would strictly be a 'liability'?

I have a Visa already for the odd time someone won't take Amex, the Green Card would remain my primary card.

I have a "free for life" Amex Gold Credit card, which charges a fee for MR access. Have never paid the fee, but it's linked (automatically) to my Plat credit card for which I pay the yearly fee and MR is free.

I have a "free for life" Amex Gold Credit card, which charges a fee for MR access. Have never paid the fee, but it's linked (automatically) to my Plat credit card for which I pay the yearly fee and MR is free.

That's exactly what I'm hoping to do...just worried about the earn rate - hoping someone on here has a Gold Ascent and can identify the MR tier...

When you cancel a card the MR program linked to it is closed...

What are the fees on the gold ascent card? Still seems like a lot of work for $80 - and if $80 is a big deal then what are you going to spend when you get to wherever these MR points will take you?

What are the fees on the gold ascent card? Still seems like a lot of work for $80 - and if $80 is a big deal then what are you going to spend when you get to wherever these MR points will take you?

It's fee free for life

The aim is to avoid the MR fee, being a charge card that is paid in full each month I wouldn't think that would strictly be a 'liability'?

All of my applications for credit over the last few years have asked me to list my other cards and the balance owning. The mere fact of having a card is treated as a liability. You mention not telling them about the Green card when applying for the Gold card. What are they going to think when they assess your application and see that you have a green card and haven't listed it.

Also what is the point of keeping both cards, if they are both earning into MR and presumably the the gold card has a better earn rate. I can see that you want the gold card because you think it will be free (see below). But why keep the green card if getting a gold card?

It's fee free for life

But the information below implies that the MR fee is not free. Mal doesn't pay the fee because of the plat card. You haven't mention a plat card so would still be subject to the MR fee on the fee free gold card. Note that an MR fee is not a card fee.

But the information below implies that the MR fee is not free. Mal doesn't pay the fee because of the plat card. You haven't mention a plat card so would still be subject to the MR fee on the fee free gold card. Note that an MR fee is not a card fee.

Indeed. I never actually signed up for MR with my fee free Gold card (that I got many years ago), simply because at the time I didn't consider it worthwhile for the points I would earn. When I applied and got my Amex Plat, my Gold card started earning points as well as they were both linked with my MR account.

There are some Gold Cards that are free if you spend > $X / year, and some of them do have free MR membership. However it does depend on the agreement for the free card.

All of my applications for credit over the last few years have asked me to list my other cards and the balance owning. The mere fact of having a card is treated as a liability. You mention not telling them about the Green card when applying for the Gold card. What are they going to think when they assess your application and see that you have a green card and haven't listed it.

Also what is the point of keeping both cards, if they are both earning into MR and presumably the the gold card has a better earn rate. I can see that you want the gold card because you think it will be free (see below). But why keep the green card if getting a gold card?

This is the offer American Express Gold Ascent

The Green Card is a Charge Card whilst the Gold is a Credit Card.

My understanding of getting a companion card, you will need to get an upper tier of card. The complimentary MR points can only be linked if one card has a higher or same earning rate.

Eg. Platinum charge linking the platinum credit card, Platinum credit card linking a gold charge card... so on.

So the senarios in this case are the follows:
1. You do not tick the point booster, so effectively you earn 0.5 point a dollar. So you can't get complimentary green charge card.

2. You use your green charge card to link your gold ascent, but this means you pay $80 for the Green MR fee.

3. You tick the point booster, then you pay $80 for the 1 point per dollar MR option. Then link it to your Green card.

**Note, MR enrolment is charged only once, provided that the higher point earning rate is covered.

In any event, all those options will charge you $80 for linking those 2 cards.
If you want 1 per $1, then keep your green, it works better than the gold ascent.
If you want 0.5 per $1, cancel your green, and get the gold ascent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back