Are you going to keep your Amex after all these 'enhancements'

Status
Not open for further replies.

random111

Intern
So I'm thinking of dumping my plat reserve after this 'enhancement'...

Anyone else thinking the same? Also what new card / combos are you thinking of?

Interestingly my Commbank Plat Amex has a better earn rate now!

I'm thinking of dumping my Commbank Plat Amex & Visa + Amex Plat Reserve, for a Virgin Flyer + Velocity Plat Amex as I want to maximise DJ points

Thoughts?

If I were in AUS I would be dumping like crazy - Amex marketing is extremely sensitive to cancellations en masse (make sure you tell the agent why you are cancelling and ask them to notify marketing).

If they spot a trend then it is likely it will bring positive changes.

Im canceling my plat charge when im back on tues and most likely my reserve too. If they want to keep me, hope they got some good incentives!

Very likely to be posted via iPhone or iPad :)

Cancelled my Plat charge card but am keeping my Reserve credit card. Also got the complimentary Gold charge card which comes with the Reserve - handy for hotel pre-auths. I noticed the Reserve's earn rates are changing but after doing some calculations I've determined that I'm no worse off with the new rates - better off in many ways in fact.

The changes to travel insurance was a big factor in dumping the Plat charge. We usually fund part/most of our trips with Points and the new T&Cs contain way too many gotchas for my liking.

With the insurance coverage reductions and the rumoured points/$ earn reductions on my platinum charge card, AMEX has very little chance in retaining my business when my annual fee is due.

I am also sick of the card not being accepted and having to pay extra when it is.

I have held a free for life gold credit card for ages. Now its being swapped to a plat edge card. Never received the original notification but if they start charging me for it i wont be happy.

My plat reserve card has been watered down. Not really sure i care about it any more... Some of the changes to insurance in particular i don't like.

However, based on my spend i will actually earn more points under the new scheme than the old scheme.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AustFreqFly

Personally I do not care about the changes as they do not affect me.

I have held a free for life gold credit card for ages. Now its being swapped to a plat edge card. Never received the original notification but if they start charging me for it i wont be happy.
Did they offer you the edge? I am on Platinum rewards. Are these 2 the same product?

I am thinking of cancelling my Plat charge

I can get Westpac Plat Plus fee free for life through my girlfriend who works there and that earns the same 1.5 MR per $1

May keep the Edge for the supermarket/petrol earn and justify the fee with the free flight

Should I reconsider?

IMHO not a fan of Amex but I do know they offer good earning opportunities but a lot of retailer's don't offer to accept or have a surcharge for Amex.

Will drop plat charge unless an actual improvement comes through to justify the annual fee. So far I would get a few more points for restaurants and travel but most of my travel is in foreign currency so goes onto the 28 degrees. Earn SPG gold myself already (someone thought it was getting dropped too.) and don't use priority pass much. If CX gold was an ongoing benefit I could see myself retaining it, but otherwise it will get cancelled for the edge card. May pick up the reserve again for the free flight. Depends on what they offer in the way of points (i.e. do you get bonus points on restaurants)

With the insurance coverage reductions and the rumoured points/$ earn reductions on my platinum charge card, AMEX has very little chance in retaining my business when my annual fee is due.

I am also sick of the card not being accepted and having to pay extra when it is.

Agreed on both points, I will be asking for a reduced fee, if nothing is forthcoming I will no longer be an Amex cardmember after some 13 years.

The points changes will make me worse off in terms of points earned, it was a good rewards program until they changed it.

I will definitely drop Plat Charge and also Plat Reserve after this change. I really only need Plat Edge as I won't travel much next 2 years.

I think the whole change is to flush out all the average transactors and people with their own ABNs to pay ATO bills etc. They want Amex Plat Charge card to be used for frequent travellers, and reinstate its "class" above other average CCs. In Asia they see Amex Plat Charge card as high status hence they probably want to reinforce it.

I am hoping that Citi will upgrade my existing fee free Citi Plat visa to Select very soon.

I have thought long and hard about this and with the information I have to date I'll drop the platinum charge card on October 1. My Australian spending will be switched to my Amex Ultimate card. Where Amez isn't accepted...and for IHG transactions Citibank Business Gold will be my choice. Overseas transactions will go to my HSBC card.

I may get the Amex direct sweep into DJ card too.

I will be dropping the Amex charge card at the end of this year just before it is due for renewal.

All those changes are not good for me. The only thing I am wondering here is will the annual fee change?

There is no word about this anywhere. $900 is a bit much after all the changes. Let's say $450 would sound a bit more reasonable.

If you compare AMEX cards for fees in the US it's like $300 over there, in Europe it's like 300 Euro, so a lot less than the $900 in Australia!

I'm still not sure exactly if the changes will be positive or negative for me. A lot of my Charge card spend is on restaurant bills (and bar tabs) but from my understanding the 3 points per dollar is only at certain restaurants? The AMEX list is decent, but not exhaustive, and misses a lot of restaurants (plenty with 1-2 hats too).

I'll give it a few months and see how it pans out. If I drop it, I'll probably drop to Plat Edge so I can still transfer to SPG.

Cheers
Febs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back