ANZ Rewards Black 75k bonus, no first year annual fee, $2500 spend in first 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangol

Established Member
https://www.anz.com.au/personal/cre.../?pid=crc-ibr-nt-ib-05-14-acq-anzrewardsblack

Similar to the ANZ FF Black offer, but this is for 75k ANZ rewards points which can be transferred to SQ Krisflyer, CX Asia Miles (conversion rate 3:1) or Velocity (rate 2:1).
For SQ, regular spend on the Amex gets you 1 KF mile per dollar and on the Visa 0.42 KF miles per dollar.

The above internet banking link gives you no annual fee for the first year but to get the 75k bonus, you need to spend $2500 in the first 3 months.

The public link currently on the ANZ website gives you the 75k bonus without waiving the $375 annual fee but you only need to make one qualifying purchase - ie. no minimum spend requirement.

As usual the ANZ 12 month exclusion clause applies - this is for any ANZ Rewards card, which are a different card type to the QFF ones.

In case anyone is looking at some free VA/KF miles, this offer is still going (has been for some time).

Rewards Black credit card | ANZ

The 75k bonus posted in the first statement for me - 2.5k spend met within a week - and I used the current 30% bonus (15+15) for this month when transferring to VA.
A bit has changed since the last post with ANZ dropping Amex due to interchange regulations changing.
For the first 5k spend per month, 2 ANZ rewards points are earned per dollar which convert to VA at 2:1 and to KF at 3:1.
Then if converting from VA to KF, you are still better off than by converting to KF directly - 0.66 KF per dollar directly vs 0.75 KF when going via VA.
The promo gave 0.97 KF per dollar which is good for any Visa/MC card.

Two telephone reps told me to wait for 13 months since last cancellation before reapplying 'just to make sure to get the sign on bonus'. Bit annoying as I have some bills to pay before Christmas. Applying tomorrow.

Two telephone reps told me to wait for 13 months since last cancellation before reapplying 'just to make sure to get the sign on bonus'. Bit annoying as I have some bills to pay before Christmas. Applying tomorrow.
Are you applying with less than 12 months since cancellation to take a punt and see how it goes?
Or are you in possession of intel that shouldn't be made public ;)

No nothing special or tricky. I last cancelled in Nov 16, so would normally look at reapplying 366 days later. But, for what ever reason, they seemed to want me to wait for 13 months to ensure the bonus. Anyway, I applied tonight.

Are you applying with less than 12 months since cancellation to take a punt and see how it goes?uld normally
Or are you in possession of intel that shouldn't be made public ;)

Applied at around 7.30 pm last night and approved at 10am this morning - just in time for Christmas.

I didn't get a Veda enquiry. That's good news so I may be able to apply for another card sooner rather than later. ;) I wonder which other credit checking company ANZ might use.

Applied at around 7.30 pm last night and approved at 10am this morning - just in time for Christmas.

I didn't get a Veda enquiry. That's good news so I may be able to apply for another card sooner rather than later. ;) I wonder which other credit checking company ANZ might use.

I applied on Tuesday and got approved today, and I just got an Equifax (Veda) alert. The enquiry was performed on Tuesday though, so it seems to take a couple of days for the alert to show up. I have also had a Veda enquiry on every previous occasion that I've applied for an ANZ card, so I'm pretty sure they do use Veda/Equifax routinely. if you didn't get an enquiry, had you also applied for another card from ANZ recently? I wonder if they don't do a new one unless a certain period had elapsed since the last one.

I activated it today and rang up to order the QF passes (wait a week). They are referring to it as a replacement card. I think it is a quirk. But it means I could apply for something else sooner.

I applied on Tuesday and got approved today, and I just got an Equifax (Veda) alert. The enquiry was performed on Tuesday though, so it seems to take a couple of days for the alert to show up. I have also had a Veda enquiry on every previous occasion that I've applied for an ANZ card, so I'm pretty sure they do use Veda/Equifax routinely. if you didn't get an enquiry, had you also applied for another card from ANZ recently? I wonder if they don't do a new one unless a certain period had elapsed since the last one.

I was lucky as they gave me this as a 'replacement' card and did not charge a fee. I got the 75K QF bonus on a $7500 tax payment, but no points for the tax amount itself. Bonus paid after I paid the 2nd statement (early).

The 1:1 QF points (<$7500 per statement), means I may possibly keep this card till the next pa fee.

I applied for this card on Tuesday 13/3 as I was wanting a Visa card (for access to presale tickets) and it seems to have the best Qantas points earn at 1:$1 (for a non Amex card) and seems to be the only card waiving the first year fee at the moment. And of course can totally use the 75k bonus points.

I found the application process very convoluted compared with my recent application for Amex Qantas Ultimate which was simpler and approved immediately.

Got sms and email requesting proof of income straight away but then heard nothing. Being impatient so called them today 16/3 and the guy is like yeah all fine was approved on 14/3 - I queried why I wasn't notified via sms or email and he was like dunno probably computer glitch.

Not sure when to expect the actual card, given it has to be collected in person I hope they bother to tell me when it is there.

I have applied for this one too, the ANZ black, I applied a week ago and besides an email requesting another income document (as I am self employed) I have heard nothing. Our business accounts are ANZ so the history is available.
Is this radio silence usual?

Is this radio silence usual?

I'm unimpressed with the lack of information and customer service. I still have no welcome email, just the sms which was resent after I called them last week.

Im travelling Tues/Wed, but if I haven't been notified my card is there by Wed arvo going to head to the branch it was supposed to be delivered to on Thursday and ask what si going on.

Id call up and quote application reference number to find out what is going on.

I'm unimpressed with the lack of information and customer service. I still have no welcome email, just the sms which was resent after I called them last week.

Id call up and quote application reference number to find out what is going on.

Oh really? Well it's not just me then, sadly...

I will leave it until Wednesday and then call.

Still no email or sms to say my card is ready for collection.

At lunch I called up and was told my card was at the branch ready for collection.

Later I went to the branch and they didn't have it and couldn't check where it was because all their systems were down.

Needless to say i dont have warm and fuzzy feelings about ANZ customer service.

Last edited:
I applied for this card on Tuesday 13/3 as I was wanting a Visa card (for access to presale tickets) and it seems to have the best Qantas points earn at 1:$1 (for a non Amex card) and seems to be the only card waiving the first year fee at the moment. And of course can totally use the 75k bonus points.

The Qantas Premier Platinum is another card to look at. Mastercard though but the same 1:$1 earn and a cheaper yearly fee after the first year if you plan on keeping the card.

I’ve got the following cards Amex Explorer/Edge combo, ANZ Travel Rewards VISA (which I may get rid of after the first year, but I like the extras ie Virgin Lounge Pass, Free flight, and no fee International Transactions) which help offset the yearly fee, and just gotten the Qantas Premier Platinum for the 75,000 Qantas points and to have a 1 point per $ Qantas earning card.

These cards I might keep long term with the reports of the Credit scores on Credit Savy taking a battering on multiple credit card applications. YMMV.

Card was in my PO Box on Friday night, so finally got it activated today. Surprised to learn I have to fill in a manual form to authorize direct debit (no way to do in online banking). Anyway I can finally start transacting to get the 75k points.

The Qantas Premier Platinum is another card to look at. MasterCard though but the same 1:$1 earn and a cheaper yearly fee after the first year if you plan on keeping the card.

I have a Westpac Earth Black MasterCard (0.65 points per $) at the moment which is free free as I have mortgage with Westpac and am also ex-staff so get no fees for life as long as account remains open. I currently have hotel bookings guaranteed on this card, but will reassess what MasterCard best suits my needs when I return from those travels, in the mean time its going in a drawer, unless there some Qantas bonus points for using it at a particular retailer.

For the time being, aiming to use my Qantas Amex Ultimate (as long as no Amex surcharge) as first preference, then the ANZ Qantas Rewards Black Visa.

I'm finding transactions very slow to post on this new card, on average taking 5 days for spend to go from pending transaction to a transaction - never experienced this n Westpac or Amex issued cards. I paid for lunch last Tuesday (27/3) and its still pending, yet a purchase at same shop on Thursday (29/3) on a different card has posted.

Making me a little concerned that I will need to hit the spend to trigger bonus points 2 weeks before real deadline to make sure there are no issues.

Definately dont think I'll hang onto this one past the first year, the NAB Visa looks to be next years visa choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back