Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Red
Ok perhaps I am being precious here but wonder what you all think of this service and what you would do about it

My partner applied for and received an ANZ FF Credit card. Upon receipt she went to her local ANZ branch and had the card activated and at the same organised Telephone Banking numbers.

She then two days later used the card (American Express) at both Coles and Woolworths using the pay wave system with no problem.

On the Saturday my partner and daughter went to Sydney where on several attempts to use the card it was refused. She was obviously highly embaressed and her daughter then had to use her credit card to make the payment. (And all of the establishments accepted Amex)

It appears that the bank had actually failed to activate the card properly. we discovered this after I amde a Phone call to ANZ, we also discovered that they had not set up the phone banking access properly either and we had to do that again.

After much discussion we were advised that some one would call us back. Received a text message on Monday AM advising that they would be in contatc with in 2 business days. Have just received a call today 6 days later, on a Saturday a non business day. Basically been told oh well we made a mistake and cant tell you why the card was able to be used when it wasnt activated due to security reasons?????

The first person at ANZ, told us that when you use pay wave it doesnt check with the bank hence why it is so quick whereas this person in Card Security didnt know how it worked and had to check with some one else who said it does check with the bank!

Seems to be abig hole in ANZ's security here........

The only comment was we will make a note of it have a good day. Oh and we will talk to the branch to get them to look at how they do activations.

Now given we are concerned about card security and all of the errors would you feel this to be an appropriate answer and answered ina timely manner?

My Concerns are

1) How can an unactivated card be used?
2) What stops some one intercepting unactivated cards in the mail and going on a shopping spree all be it all under $100.00 at a time.
3) How can a member of staff make so many cough ups? Seems training may be an issue here too.
4) We were advised on Monday they would be in contact with in 2 business days, it took 6 days.

Also wasnt looking for anything just a recognition of the error and a reassurance that it was a once off and there would be no further issues.

I am now thinking of changing cards as I no longer have confidence in ANZ to protect me and to get back to me in a timely manner regarding an issue relating to security. I have spent nearly $80,000 on the card in the last 8 weeks.

Not Happy

What would you expect and do?

Rant Over

Pay wave and pay pass are all the same for all banks. They seem to reduce security, actually that is obvious from the lack of pin or signature in using that option. So you don't have much option to complain about the lack of security unless you ask to disable pay pass/wave. Yes, I've heard this system works for inactivated cards. In fact, I recently had the situation of SWMBO's secondary card not working for a particular transaction when it had been used for purchases already. Turns out the secondary card needed activation, despite advice that activating the primary card was all that was required.

The activation thing is just a mistake. But you should expect them to retrain staff.

Enjoy making phone calls to discuss the problems with ANZ making sure that the calls are being recorded !

Pay wave and pay pass are all the same for all banks. They seem to reduce security, actually that is obvious from the lack of pin or signature in using that option. So you don't have much option to complain about the lack of security unless you ask to disable pay pass/wave. Yes, I've heard this system works for inactivated cards. In fact, I recently had the situation of SWMBO's secondary card not working for a particular transaction when it had been used for purchases already. Turns out the secondary card needed activation, despite advice that activating the primary card was all that was required.

The activation thing is just a mistake. But you should expect them to retrain staff.

Thanks Medhead I have calmed down now its also more the fact that they failed to meet the promise of calling with in 2 business days. I dislike businesses that promise something and fail to deliver.

This exact same problem happened to me several years ago, very embarrassing and Its interesting to see ANZ have not progressed from back then.

Thanks Medhead I have calmed down now its also more the fact that they failed to meet the promise of calling with in 2 business days. I dislike businesses that promise something and fail to deliver.

I forgot to say I completely understand how annoying it is, especially failure to call back as promised. I'm also amazed about the off handed comment about retraining the branch.

On the embarrassment front, I understand that as well. But I've trained myself not to care and just pull out another card.

I have this Problem also
but I have had the card for a while.

For me it happened when they sent me a new card. Was a nightmare. After 3 rreplacements including one lost in the mail, one lost being sent to the branch I lodged a complaint. Heaps of run around and conflicting stories about incorrect activation and stuff. Was finally told that it wasn't anz as it worked half the time I need to take it up with the merchant at the places it didn't work. Ie ask the store for details to contact the merchant that they use to troubleshoot. Very stupid.
i lodged an FOS complaint and the advanced customer service team at anz investigated it

Turns out the issue is the security chip in the new cards. Anz and others are required to implement the chip and pin numbers on all cards inc Amex. So they have rolled this out. While they have had to do it merchants ie stores haven't had to update their terminals. So some stores who haven't updated to recognise the new chips and pins system will fail.
anz gave me $200 to apologise saying they are sorry but it's not their fault it's merchants really and that in 1 month the problem should go Away. Well that was November and it hasn't. Going to contact FOS again to complain.
you should too it will increase chances of a proper fix. If only I had not destroyed my original Amex card with no chip i wouldn't have this issue

You think that's bad - you'll like this:

I recently applied for plat card under no fee for first year 50k points. I did this over the phone as I had probs with the online application. Anyway I receive the card activate it no probs use for a month then bang get the annual fee charged. I call up and ask why and explain what I applied for and get told that they have me on the BT offer but I haven't used the balance transfer offer at all. Anyway I say not what I have applied for etc. can't help you someone will call you back in 48 hrs. No call. I call back explain. Terribly sorry someone will call you back in 48 hrs. No call. I call back today. Someone should have called you back sorry I can't help you but someone will call you back in 24 hrs. Well unless they call me while I'm asleep it looks like they are going to disappoint again. What do I do?

I've had so many rejections in use of certain cards that I don't get embarrassed when they don't work. Actually, especially when overseas I'm more surprised when they do work flawlessly.

As far as service goes, I never expect prompt call backs or even timely email responses. It's usually a case of one section promising the timely service of a completely different section of the bank.

Banks are Banks.

You think that's bad - you'll like this:

I recently applied for plat card under no fee for first year 50k points. I did this over the phone as I had probs with the online application. Anyway I receive the card activate it no probs use for a month then bang get the annual fee charged. I call up and ask why and explain what I applied for and get told that they have me on the BT offer but I haven't used the balance transfer offer at all. Anyway I say not what I have applied for etc. can't help you someone will call you back in 48 hrs. No call. I call back explain. Terribly sorry someone will call you back in 48 hrs. No call. I call back today. Someone should have called you back sorry I can't help you but someone will call you back in 24 hrs. Well unless they call me while I'm asleep it looks like they are going to disappoint again. What do I do?

That is poor service suggest you contact the Financial Ombudsman and make a formal complaint. Alternatively go and see your local branch manger and discuss with them and get the manager to sort it out

I am now thinking of changing cards as I no longer have confidence in ANZ to protect me and to get back to me in a timely manner regarding an issue relating to security.

Every now and then I forget what a PITA dealing with ANZ is and make a mistake, usually prompted by a decent points offer. This is usually followed very shortly after by a long sigh and a comment to self... "oh, I remember now, this is why I don't deal with them".

Its sometimes hard to put my finger on, but in general, I find them 'difficult'.

I probably live in a bubble of self delusion, but by and large I don't worry overly much about the security aspect of card transactions - I assume the bank will deal with it one way or another and as I spread my love around a break down in understanding over this with any one institution won't usually be more than a minor inconvenience. I can't really see the overall point of paypass or similar non authenticated systems - despite the mass advertising around it. If the banks want to put this functionality on all their cards then I don't care - its their risk.

As you say in a later post, my decisions these days are strongly swayed by customer service, so fully understand your annoyance at promises made and not delivered on, doubly so when it comes to security/finance/card and the inconvenience that can be generated.

I had a similar issue with Amex last year. I was pretty sure I activated the card online and already used the card many times with no issue. One day I tried to pay for something over $500 but the card didn't work. Call center told me that the card wasn't activated. Small transactions were fine but it wouldn't take bigger transactions. Maybe the card was activated in some way but not fully or something.

I must have been very lucky with ANZ. Alwasy found them the easiest to deal with, though when CB and Amex are my main comparisons I suppose the bar is not set very high.

Applied for the ANZ Black on the 14th and approved on the 16th.

Only cancelled my plat card with them a couple of months ago after they gave me 32K of points a couple of years ago and the second year fee waved with just the $55 QF rewards fee.

So far having a good run with them in terms of rewards vs pain.

Enjoy making phone calls to discuss the problems with ANZ making sure that the calls are being recorded !

18 months ago I changed all my banking, including the business' to the ANZ. Just changed it back to CBA after a string of service hassles ( and their internet banking is cough).

Twice I complained and was told I was in the wrong, both times I asked for my calls to be retrieved and reviewed, and both times I was vindicated. Their complaints dept are the weakest part of the organisation.

One issue was serious enough that I reported it to ASIC - and they took up the complaint.

Back on topic ( sort of), I recently got a new CBA AMEX posted to me, with a chip, replacing the non chip version.

There was no need to activate it - it was ready to go! Which means, through the post they had sent a live, pay wave usable card. No security whatsoever.

... though when CB and Amex are my main comparisons I suppose the bar is not set very high.

Won't comment much on CBA, I find them ordinary without being terrifically good or bad.

Amex however, despite having had several oddities which happen to one in the world of travel have always come through for me and I find their ability to not only make you feel secure during initial telephone contact but to also actually come through with their assurances to be very good. If I found a bank who treated me half as well I'd never move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back