Annual Fee - Prior to Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchy123

Hello All - I am a long time reader of AFF (great site with a wealth of information!), though this is my first post.

I am wondering if anyone knows if you apply for a card, and it is sent to you - will you be liable for annual fees if you dont activate the card? I have applied for an AMEX Qantas Premium (Ann Fee ~ $250), though I have been made a better offer with my main card issuer (CitiBank Plat), and I dont wish to proceed with the AMEX card.

This was a replacment/upgrade card from my AMEX Gold Charge card. I am hoping that AMEX will be reasonable on this, in light of the fact that no costs to them (admin expenses aside) will be incurred. Has anyone been in this situation?

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I couldnt find anything similar.

Many thanks

As long as you call to cancel as soon as your account is established they should refund the entire annual fee - the security activation of the card doesn't impact on the annual fee being billed.

Just recently, I decided to cancel my Amex Business Gold card. The annual fee appeared on my online statement so I telephoned them and told them I did not wish to use the card anymore. the charge was reversed out.
So call them.

Do read the T&C's but I would expect that if you do not activate the card, you will not be charged anything. Firstly, the card being sent out would be similar to an "Offer for Credit" and that if you do not accept the Offer, then you simply don't activate (accept) the card. On the other hand hypothetically, the card could have been lost in the mail ... thus you never bothered chasing them for a replacement hence never activating the card. Again, both scenarios I expect no fee to be charged.

hello all - tried to reply earlier over my e72 but didnt work for some reason.

As a follow up, I called AMEX, and after being transferred several times, they were happy to cancel the new card, fee free.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back