Amex Ultimate moving to qantas voucher....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The link doesn't seem to work.

Do you know when this will take effect? Right now Amex is still advertising the free annual return flight.

From another Australian frequent flyer forum page :
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....ns/qantas-amex-ultimate-100k-bonus-84166.html

Thanks to slinky123
"*Note: On 31 October 2017, the complimentary domestic flight will be replaced with a $450 Travel Credit. The Travel Credit can be redeemed for any eligible Qantas flight booked and paid online through American Express Travel in a single booking. The Travel Credit will be available each year of Card Membership, as long as you have paid the annual fee and your account is current and in good standing."

Based out of Sydney, this seems like a positive change to me. The fare bucket which Amex used previously meant selecting flights where the pricing for a return trip to Melbourne was around $300-$350.

The voucher would mean the benefit could cover more expensive fare buckets, as well as flights to other destinations. I assume this could be used for both international and domestic flights?

The fare bucket which Amex used previously meant selecting flights where the pricing for a return trip to Melbourne was around $300-$350.

It had to be O class which is just about the lowest it gets without getting into the sale bucket (E).

I think this is a good thing. The last time I tried to redeem the free flight I just couldn't get a usable day or time at all, and I had time and flexability on my side. Being able to use the $450 on international flights is also a definite plus!

I received my letter from Amex regarding the change last Friday. I see it also includes free membership of epiQure Premium. All takes effect 31 October.

Well I got a letter about this, the Epiqure membership and so on. But nothing about the annual charge. Anyone know what that will become?

Given that it wasn't mentioned, my take is that it will be unchanged (for now at least...).

That was Australian Business Traveller's take also. Time will tell.

Cheers skip

Looking through the possible threads to use on the Ultimate card, this seems the most relevant.

For anyone going to use their $450 voucher which is active from today - Amex Travel allows you to do multi-city flight pairings Qantas does not.
(i.e. you can go back to your (origin) home port).

So for around $80'ish out of pocket I was able to book:

MAR BNE-SYD
MAY CBR-BNE
AUG BNE-SYD
AUG SYD-BNE

Looking through the possible threads to use on the Ultimate card, this seems the most relevant.

For anyone going to use their $450 voucher which is active from today - Amex Travel allows you to do multi-city flight pairings Qantas does not.
(i.e. you can go back to your (origin) home port).

So for around $80'ish out of pocket I was able to book:

MAR BNE-SYD
MAY CBR-BNE
AUG BNE-SYD
AUG SYD-BNE
Did you book these online or phone?

Does anyone know if the flights booked using the voucher earn points and SCs? I need two more qualifying QF flights for status retention.

Cheers skip

Does anyone know if the flights booked using the voucher earn points and SCs? I need two more qualifying QF flights for status retention.

Cheers skip

They most certainly do. You're still purchasing the flight, the voucher just offsets the cost of it (to a degree of your choice depending on the cost of the flight you choose).

Along with the change to the $450 travel credit rather than a complementary return flight, we've all been emailed an Epicure premium membership code.

The last new benefit of the card that became applicable to current members was the granting to 2 Qantas electronic lounge passes on first Qantas spend each Amex "subscription" year.

All purchases before 31/10 on our accounts did not activate this offer as it was not available to us.

So a purchase of carbon offsets now does.

I tested this out as my subscription/membership/annual period ends on the 11/11.

I used BNE-HVB return as I wanted to see it would work and it was just over $1. I would have chosen somewhere longer if I knew it would work.

upload_2017-11-4_11-10-2.png

Qantas Future Planet

Thank you for the reminder michaelk - I just 'donated' $1.04 (SYD-BNE one-way) on Mrs 2tall4Y's Qantas Amex Ultimate :)

Along with the change to the $450 travel credit rather than a complementary return flight, we've all been emailed an Epicure premium membership code.

The last new benefit of the card that became applicable to current members was the granting to 2 Qantas electronic lounge passes on first Qantas spend each Amex "subscription" year.

All purchases before 31/10 on our accounts did not activate this offer as it was not available to us.

So a purchase of carbon offsets now does.

I tested this out as my subscription/membership/annual period ends on the 11/11.

I used BNE-HVB return as I wanted to see it would work and it was just over $1. I would have chosen somewhere longer if I knew it would work.

View attachment 109578

Qantas Future Planet

Well I booked my free flights BNE-SYD and return, and they booked into Q class, so looks like a SC earner to me.

$450 worth of travel for a $450 annual fee looks like a bargain to me :)

Now to cash in the free Epiqure membership

Cheers skip

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back