Amex Rewards Choices program to Krisflyer points

Status
Not open for further replies.

xt_20

Hi all,
I have had my Amex Gold card (via the Australian Computing Society) for over 2 years and pay no annual fee on it. I wanted to transfer some Amex points to Krisflyer points, but am unable to do so, apparently because I am on the Choices program, as opposed to the Ascent program.

I am very sure that I was able to do this a while back (probably a year ago) when I checked. I even remembered that I need to transfer points in increments of 5000. However, when I called them up, I was told that it was never possible.

Naturally, I'm disappointed, having 'saved' over 40000 points for a flight to Singapore during Christmas which is worth over $1000 if I were to buy the flight from sq.com now.

1) Was this an option previously, or was it a glitch in the system at that time? I even have an email from them on 5th May 2009 welcoming AirNZ to Membership Rewards... what's the use of this if I can't transfer my points anyway?

2) Is there any way around it? I was given a few options, none of which are good:
a) Convert my points to Ascent points, paying $5 per $1000 points. (and also $80 per year, which I don't mind)
b) Book my flight from Webjet or Flight Centre and claim $400 in vouchers using my points (can I use the Jetstar price beat guarantee this way??)

Thanks all!
AR

Hi all,
I have had my Amex Gold card (via the Australian Computing Society) for over 2 years and pay no annual fee on it. I wanted to transfer some Amex points to Krisflyer points, but am unable to do so, apparently because I am on the Choices program, as opposed to the Ascent program.

It seems very weried that Amex associate card combines CHOICE program instead of Ascent. In my memory, it should be always ascent program and free of charge. At least I know CPA Amex get free ascent program.

It seems very weried that Amex associate card combines CHOICE program instead of Ascent. In my memory, it should be always ascent program and free of charge. At least I know CPA Amex get free ascent program.

+1 I've never heard of any of these Gold 'Affinity' Cards being enrolled in anything but Ascent...try calling back and asking someone else to check.

I've already spoken to 2 people so far, might try a 3rd :)

Aargh that doesn't bode well, your card may have been enrolled in MR incorrectly - can you login to the ACS website and confirm the offer definetely mentions Ascent?

Aargh that doesn't bode well, your card may have been enrolled in MR incorrectly - can you login to the ACS website and confirm the offer definetely mentions Ascent?

I've stopped becoming a member of the ACS since, but I found an ad online:
acs.org.au/iage/ia200706-07.pdf
(page 69)

I have to say, my card doesn't have the ACS logo on it though :( I got it via a different promotion.

2) Is there any way around it? I was given a few options, none of which are good:
a) Convert my points to Ascent points, paying $5 per $1000 points. (and also $80 per year, which I don't mind)
Rules change all the time but from memory one could never transfer from Choices to airline programs.

I know someone who was in Choices and in 2004 changed over to Ascent. All the MR points came across to Ascent without having to pay anything. Perhaps it has changed since. By the way I did not expect, oops, I mean my friend did not expect the points to be transferred to Ascent but it was a nice bonus. ;)

Yes one of my card is Choices only, and definitely cannot transfer to any airlines. I am looking at an attractive Amex ascent offer and do a switch in the future.

Rules change all the time but from memory one could never transfer from Choices to airline programs.

I know someone who was in Choices and in 2004 changed over to Ascent. All the MR points came across to Ascent without having to pay anything. Perhaps it has changed since. By the way I did not expect, oops, I mean my friend did not expect the points to be transferred to Ascent but it was a nice bonus. ;)

Haha I'm sure many were never charged - it was a pain in the neck to process it.

I've stopped becoming a member of the ACS since, but I found an ad online:
acs.org.au/iage/ia200706-07.pdf
(page 69)

I have to say, my card doesn't have the ACS logo on it though :( I got it via a different promotion.
If you're no longer a member of the ACS and it isn't branded with the ACS logo, it doesn't sound like you've got the ACS deal or it was changed after you stopped being a member. The ACS Amex definitely gives you the choice of MR Ascent or Qantas Direct with no annual fee for primary or supplementary cards whilst you're a member of the ACS.

Thanks Mick. I'll attempt to dig out my application form if I still have a copy of it.. or ask them for a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back