Amex Points - Velocity Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiddy

Hi AFF'ers,

I have a question that I'm hoping the experts can help me answer.

For the sake of clarity let's say my credit limit is 10K and I have nothing owing on the credit card.

Now I'm thinking about buying something for 20K and would like to use my Amex to pay for it.

If I xfered 10K from my bank account to AMEX - so effectively 20K available on the card and purchase said item would I receive the points for a 20K purchase or 10K as per my credit limit?

Should work. Check your card doesn't have a monthly points cap. Also may need to ring the card issuer and tell them your plan to spend overlimit, they should be able to disable the limit for a day or two when you make the purchase (otherwise the 10k limit might block the 20k spend even if your account is in credit). Key figure is Available Funds in your online bank view.

Should work. Check your card doesn't have a monthly points cap. Also may need to ring the card issuer and tell them your plan to spend overlimit, they should be able to disable the limit for a day or two when you make the purchase (otherwise the 10k limit might block the 20k spend even if your account is in credit). Key figure is Available Funds in your online bank view.

Thanks OzEire

Just pay in two instalments a couple of days apart and it will be ok. American owned banks like American Express seem to have rules on accounts going into credit so do try to avoid that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back