AMEX Platinum vs Citibank Select

Status
Not open for further replies.

seritonin

Hi all,

I need a credit card upgrade and tossing up these two cards.
The main game is to get enough reward points for a Mexican trip for two end of next year. I have enough QFF for one way F but I need another way on either SQ or VA. Currently they both have these features:
Miles earning comparison
AMEX Platinum80K sign up bonus @ $900 per year fee = 0.01125 cents/mile
(using 1:1 transfer ratio)
Earning - 1 pt per $ domestic
2 pts per $ overseas
Citi Select60K sign up bonus @$700 per year fee = 0.0175 cents/mile
(using 1.5:1 transfer ratio)
Earning - 2 pts per $ domestic
5 pts per $ dollar overseas

I have 2 overseas trip coming this year and average monthly spending of $2K on the card. I'm wondering which one would get me more miles in a year etc. Any thoughts?

Hi all,

I need a credit card upgrade and tossing up these two cards.
The main game is to get enough reward points for a Mexican trip for two end of next year. I have enough QFF for one way F but I need another way on either SQ or VA. Currently they both have these features:
Miles earning comparison
AMEX Platinum80K sign up bonus @ $900 per year fee = 0.01125 cents/mile
(using 1:1 transfer ratio)
Earning - 1 pt per $ domestic
2 pts per $ overseas
Citi Select60K sign up bonus @$700 per year fee = 0.0175 cents/mile
(using 1.5:1 transfer ratio)
Earning - 2 pts per $ domestic
5 pts per $ dollar overseas

I have 2 overseas trip coming this year and average monthly spending of $2K on the card. I'm wondering which one would get me more miles in a year etc. Any thoughts?
things to consider:
Citi select converts to 3.33 pts/$ sq or va overseas..
Citi gets you 2 people entrance into lounges under priority pass.

don't forget Amex has worse acceptance than Visa, and that both charge high overseas transaction fees, so if you're not getting reimbursed for your overseas expenses they may be worth less than a no-rewards 28Degrees / BW Platinum card.

I cut up my Amex Plat Charge and went with Citi Select. You can get the fee down for $350p.a. if you are a Citigold member.

Overseas charges are a no brainer I think. You are going to pay a ~3% O/S fee regardless. So you can get 2 KF points with Amex per $ or 3.333 KF points with Citi. Or you can get 2 AM points with Amex or 2.5 AM with Citi.

Only advantage I can see with Amex is domestically, you could potentially get more points where it is accepted (need to optimise use of card over restaurants, shopping, travel etc). And option to credit to QFF in addition to other partners. But QF burn rates are so bad - may as well go with AM (not withstanding any status on QF which will allow you to request for award seats to be released).

FWIW, SQ don't fly to Mexico on their metal so can't redeem KF points apart from a more expensive *A award. I would be looking to maybe buy Lifemiles for that purpose. :)

hm, no, no need to pay the 3% at all, given 28Degrees and Bankwest Platinum exist. whether you value the point earn rate at more than 3% is different for everyone, I guess

Thanks for the replies guys...
I'm not really worried about overseas charges as I would get reimbursed for most of the trip costs.

FWIW, SQ don't fly to Mexico on their metal so can't redeem KF points apart from a more expensive *A award. I would be looking to maybe buy Lifemiles for that purpose
I would only use KF to get me to LAX or SFO and I have enough Lifemiles to get me to MEX or I'll just buy Volaris flight.

One question tho, how about customer service comparison between the two?

OP hasn't asked but Amex gets you into VA lounges...no guests though.

both.png

Especially if it's Citi Select, Amex Plat Charge & Amex Plat Edge.

$1600/year on CC fees is hard to justify unless you're putting six figures a year through them. If you are, though, what's the benefit of having the Platinum Amex, too? Citi Select is uncapped and will be accepted everywhere the Amex is, surely.

First year sign-ons make getting both worthwhile even if you kill the Plat Charge (and keep Plat Edge) after Y1.

I had a look at both these. I am a total noob, so take all this with a fistful of salt. I went with the Amex for the better sign-on bonus and more airline partner redemptions, as well as better points earning at supermarkets and dept stores (we are a family so lots of our $ goes that way). I plan to kill the Amex at month 11 and hold onto the ancillary Plat Edge. As I am targetting VA awards I signed up for the Virgin flyer with current 30K bonus and $130 fee, but also plan to ditch that in about six months and sign up for citi select then (if they are still offering reasonable sign-on bonus). Didn't go for the Citi Select initially due to not wanting to shell out an extra $600 upfront, and also not wanting to apply for too many cards at once. Will probably just hold onto Select after the first few years, or maybe recycle myself into Citi Emirates card, depends how I go getting availability for J award redemptions via Virgin either to US or Europe. Plat card no longer gives you Marco Polo Gold (you had to apply prior to Feb 13 2013 to get that, unfortunately).

Did you call up Amex to ask about the Marco Polo or you trusted the application form online?

Haven't called to ask them, but might give it a go, if you think it's worth it.

Haven't called to ask them, but might give it a go, if you think it's worth it.

I would definitely call them to see if the offer is still available or not. If you do call, let us know how you get on.

Quokka77 just be aware that Virgin points are second class for Singapore Air travel in J, First and Suites. SQ give clear favoritism to Kris Flyer points redemptions. I don't know about Etihad redemptions.
Citi Select gets a lot of my transactions as a Visa card is easier to use than an American Express but I still use Amex Ultimate for Australian transactions if it is taken without a surcharge.

Thanks cove, I'll remember to transfer direct from amex to Singapore if I need Singapore flights. Have followed your select ato adventures with interest, and quietly wishing you well in your quest for ato points ... I'm payg so can only be a spectator on that one. Have been racking up lots of points on my amex through judicious use of 10x points hotel stays, not entirely altruistic MS donation, a bing lee electrical purchase. Not sure how citi's bonus offers compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back