Amex Platinum rewards credit card $0 annual fee for 1st year

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtormey

Hi everyone,
I was just browsing the Amex website when I came across the "Platinum rewards credit card", I have never seen this card before today and I have been frequenting the Amex website quite a lot lately due to wanting to change cards.
The promotion is $0 annual fee for the first year and $80 thereafter. It has complimentary MR membership and points earn is decent; 2 points per $1 at major supermarkets and petrol stations and 1 point for everything else except ATO etc of course. The picture of the card on the website is exactly the same as the Platinum Edge so I'm guessing it's basically a budget version of that card without the free flight and less potential for points earn?
I was just wanting to get some feedback as to what everyone thinks of the offer? I have a gold charge now and I'm thinking of switching to a different card, would I be better off spending the extra and going for the Edge?
I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this!
Cheers!

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/platinum-rewards-credit-card/?filter=currentoffers

Looks pretty competitive. Slightly lower earn that the Edge at supermarkets, but if you want a pt/$ Amex that doesn't go to Amex it could be an option.

Gold charge card probably has more benefits but some people may prefer the credit nature of this one.

Sent from my iPhone using AustFreqFly

Looks like quite a decent card for those that don't need the flights, shame no sign up bonus though and watered down super market spend.

Looks like it's short the travel insurance?

I saw this card on the website this morning. Seems they have discontinued Platinum Reserve card.
This seems like a good card to begin with as Membership Reward points definitely have better value that any other credit card points scheme that I know of.

I'm using an Affinity AMEX Platinum Edge with $99 p.a. annual fee (when I signed up back in 2010, now it's $149 p.a.). If for any reason that I have to cancel this card (e.g. buying a home), this would be my Amex replacement card at $80 p.a. (since the Affinity has up their annual fee). I like the option of transferring the MR points to MH Enrich and Velocity FF.

I think this card is great for people looking into dipping there toe in the rewards credit card market. The earn rate is very good as a entry level card.

Plus you get it free for the first year. It is even decent for people that want a bunch of rewards cards but don't want to pay $150 plus for each one to earn some rewards.

This card and the free Citibank offer is a really solid base.

The platinum reserve is still available.
Difficult to say whether this would be better than the free gold ascent (via association) (or bmw for everyone else), it's obviously better in its first year, but ongoing people would have to weigh up whether the extra point at supermarkets/petrol stations is worth the $80 to them.

True - I could go back to Gold Ascent Affinity AMEX ($1:1 MR). Then I could not justify signing up with Amex again as I have the Citibank Visa Signature fee free for life which is $1 for 1.5 Citibank Rewards which equates to 1 Velocity Point... Downside I lose being able to transfer to MH Enrich (limited to Westpac Alitude, St George and AMEX Membership Rewards). Hopefully Citibank introduces Premier Miles for AU and include MH Enrich in their list...

Dilemma... Don't like paying annual fees out of principle... but Amex do have promos for existing card members from time to time which is a great incentive for loyalty as oppose to other banks who just rope you in and do nothing to keep one interested.

I know how you feel, since getting my citibank signature card my CBA visa & amex have gathered dust and are awaiting cancellation.
At the same time, swiping a visa at a place that accepts amex without surcharge grinds my ocd core. Unfortunately most amex issued amexes only give 1 MR point per dollar, resulting in 1 mile per $, the only value proposition being transfers to enrich and access to statement credits.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) being a young couple with no kids, our weekly supermarket spend is < $50, and all my fuel goes onto my motorpass.

If only they had a card that offered 1.5 MR points everywhere (something like the westpac altitude black amex) and i'd be sold.

Yep - closed my CBA Platinum card due to expensive annual fees (used to work there so got it for free) and got refund on annual fee paid. Use all your CBA award points before closing and you can have pro-rata refund when you cancel the cards.

I too have paid with Citibank Visa Signature when Amex sign was up due to the fact that to do transfer of Citibank Reward points require 15k points (too high $10k spend locally and annoying) minimum to Velocity. I know that Velocity has 15% bonus transfers twice a year (Mar/Apr and Sept/Oct) which I aim to get to that minimum before transferring. I have an OCD of using Amex where places accept Amex except the 0.5 MR points earn (gov, insurances, utilities). My Amex MR points are reserved for transfer to MH Enrich (during their 15% bonus once a year or when I need to use MH to fly as Enrich miles have 3 year expiration).

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts guys! Likewise, I have been thinking of cancelling my CBA awards cards for a while now and getting the Citibank Signature which sounds great and possibly switching to a different Amex, it's going to take me forever to decide which one is going to work best for me though. May end up sticking with the Gold Charge as I recently found out that it actually comes with a free Platinum Edge companion card which means I can take advantage of the 3 points per $ on that card. However, I don't use many of the benefits of the Gold which comes in at $210 annual fee and like @aerotravel I don't like paying fees either so the Platinum rewards could be a good option!

Thank you @newformula, your thread is actually where I found out about it not long ago! I checked out your website too, great job! Cheers!

Thanks for your thoughts guys! Likewise, I have been thinking of cancelling my CBA awards cards for a while now and getting the Citibank Signature which sounds great and possibly switching to a different Amex, it's going to take me forever to decide which one is going to work best for me though. May end up sticking with the Gold Charge as I recently found out that it actually comes with a free Platinum Edge companion card which means I can take advantage of the 3 points per $ on that card. However, I don't use many of the benefits of the Gold which comes in at $210 annual fee and like @aerotravel I don't like paying fees either so the Platinum rewards could be a good option!

The free edge is good, but you're still paying $210 for the gold charge to get it. Probably still worthwhile to downgrade to either the edge (and save $15) or the plat rewards (and save $130)

Sorry to bring this up again as it's in another thread, but I posted this article up last week - a free companion Platinum Edge card with the Gold Charge potentially solves your problem.

Well as it was another forumite visable v that first alerted us all to this opportunity, you could just quote them...and indeed credit them in your blog, rather than indicating it was something you realised....

I would go for the platinum edge, more points in the long run. Or you can just get the gold charge for the initial points and then get yourself the platinum edge as a companion card for free and use that for purchases.

AMEX charge cards have companion cards free of charge. Prior to upgrading to the platinum charge I had the gold charge and called them up to ask if I can get the plat edge as a companion card, they sent me out all the info for it and it's free as long as you hold your gold charge.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I was just browsing the Amex website when I came across the "Platinum rewards credit card", I have never seen this card before today and I have been frequenting the Amex website quite a lot lately due to wanting to change cards.
The promotion is $0 annual fee for the first year and $80 thereafter. It has complimentary MR membership and points earn is decent; 2 points per $1 at major supermarkets and petrol stations and 1 point for everything else except ATO etc of course. The picture of the card on the website is exactly the same as the Platinum Edge so I'm guessing it's basically a budget version of that card without the free flight and less potential for points earn?
I was just wanting to get some feedback as to what everyone thinks of the offer? I have a gold charge now and I'm thinking of switching to a different card, would I be better off spending the extra and going for the Edge?
I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this!
Cheers!

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/platinum-rewards-credit-card/?filter=currentoffers

Hi - you should do some research because I believe you can get a free/included Edge card with the Amex Gold card. I think Keith at Point Hacks has written about it. If I didn't already have the Edge I would have gone for the Gold with this feature!

Oops clearly should have gone through all the posts first! Edge as companion card to Amex Gold as mentioned above on here too! :)

Well as it was another forumite visable v that first alerted us all to this opportunity, you could just quote them...and indeed credit them in your blog, rather than indicating it was something you realised....

I didn't credit by forum name, but both AFF threads are linked to in that post, and thanked. If I gave the indication that I discovered this off my own back, I didn't mean to.

As for having the Edge only to save $15, why would you as a new cardholder when you can get 30k MR points (vs 15k) as a signup bonus for taking up the Gold?

As for having the Edge only to save $15, why would you as a new cardholder when you can get 30k MR points (vs 15k) as a signup bonus for taking up the Gold?

I am not sure why you are directing that question to myself???

If you go back and read my earlier post, which was before your blog on it, and my advice in the original thread you will find my answer to your question:

Visible v is actually correct that a referral for Gold is better (lower $ cost plus more referred points) if it gets free companion Edge card...rather than Hummels recommendation to be referred for the Edge directly.

I would just check that you can still get a free Edge Card on it.

Last edited:
I didn't credit by forum name, but both AFF threads are linked to in that post, and thanked. If I gave the indication that I discovered this off my own back, I didn't mean to.

I was the one that said to get the edge to save the $15 because I was replying to the OP (mtormey)
The 30k signup bonus, while wonderful doesn't help the OP any as they already hold a gold charge. Their options are either to take the edge as a supp, and keep paying the $210/yr. Or cancel the gold and just get the edge outright and save $15/yr ongoing.

Hi - you should do some research because I believe you can get a free/included Edge card with the Amex Gold card. I think Keith at Point Hacks has written about it. If I didn't already have the Edge I would have gone for the Gold with this feature!
Holy moly.
Had no idea. I have a no annual fee Gold+Ascent credit card through my professional association.
I just clicked through and ordered myself a no annual fee Platinum Edge as a supplementary card.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back