Amex Platinum Charge Card 75,000 Bonus for New Approvals (valid to March 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashback

Enthusiast
American Express®

Why wish upon just one star? The American Express® Platinum Card can make more of your wishes come true, day or night.

24/7 Personal Assistance¹ on a level all of its own. Whether it's reserving a table at that impossible to book restaurant6, finding that hard-to-get item, or arranging that extra-special birthday, our dedicated Platinum Card Concierge1 staff are always on hand to take care of all your lifestyle needs.

You'll also be immediately elevated into Ascent Premium, our premium Membership Rewards program. As a member, you'll be able to transfer points directly into the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, as well as seven other leading airline rewards partner programs5.

And, as a special introductory offer, apply and be approved before 01 March 2011 and you'll receive 75,000 Membership Rewards Points2 when you spend $500 in the first two months. That's enough for $750 worth of Travel Agency Gift Vouchers7 or a return flight from Sydney to Hong Kong3.

A great promo - sad that current members dont get similar benefits...

Not a bad deal at all - I signed up a few months ago and only got 50,000 pts....sheesh!

A great promo - sad that current members dont get similar benefits...

Marketing 101 - Blah blah blah, always harder to get a new customer.

Regardless I will give them a call and see what they will do to retain a customer :D

Please let us know how you get on. ;)

Have had success in the past with promotions and not being targeted!

20,000 and 30,000 points given previous due to my "disappointment" with not being able to take part in various promotions. Nothing to do with the 5000 for 5 promo either :D

Annual fee was paid a few months back, need to ask about that as well, not sure why I need to pay $900 per year when my Commbank card nearly offers me the same as Amex :rolleyes::p..... You know the story

Will report back!

I agree Amex should have some kind of loyalty scheme for good long term clients when they have a promo like this. I got my fee reduced by half to $450 as they were offering this to new card members for Plat charge cards a few months back. I also have an NZ issued Gold credit card that I have held for over 10 years, and as a 'member since 1999' they give me this card fee free, but there are really no benefits other than membership rewards which cost me $50 NZD per year. I did get the 10k bonus just before Christmas on my Aust Plat card last year which was nice, but it took about 2 months to post on my rewards account, I think I had to call them up to chase the points. Anyway I would like to see if Amex give anything to the loyal clients. Oh and Medibank Private have ceased to take Amex for premiums which annoyed me .....

Hmm, I don't see the complimentary Platinum Credit Card benefit mentioned anywhere on the promo site? :shock: It's still listed on the iplatinum site but that's not been updated (it still mentions the free QF domestic flight as a benefit of the Plat credit card).

So will the complimentary credit card benefit still exist? And if so, which of the 2 new Platinum credit cards will charge card holders be comped with?

Hmm, I don't see the complimentary Platinum Credit Card benefit mentioned anywhere on the promo site? :shock: It's still listed on the iplatinum site but that's not been updated (it still mentions the free QF domestic flight as a benefit of the Plat credit card).

So will the complimentary credit card benefit still exist? And if so, which of the 2 new Platinum credit cards will charge card holders be comped with?

Spoke to AMEX yesterday. Apparently all existing Plat Credit holders who had it as a companion card to the Platinum Charge, have been automatically rolled over to the Reserve card. I asked them "what I am gonna do with 2 Priority Pass memberships? Can I give one to my supplementay?".

After a LONG LONG LONG time, and a few extra phonecalls (due to my gut feeling I was given wrong info and wanted to speak to another person to check for consistency), I was told that using Reserve as a companion card, we don't get another PP card. I asked whether i could swap it to the Edge, but advised against it as the Reserve is a better product due to the free flight being trans-tasman.

Maybe i should take up the extra Edge on its own. I think the extra points on supermarkets and petrol would be useful, and another extra domestic flight, for $149 p.a. Any comments from anyone?

And i do agree about the loyalty bonus thing. When i signed up there was nothing. Now there's 75k points. No effort on their part to look after the existing members?

Thanks benhadi. :)

I don't particularly care about the TT flight, as it's often more expensive to get a domestic flight to certain destinations. There are plenty of good TT deals floating around to AKL/CHC. Given the other benefits of the 2 Platinum credit cards are largely the same or inferior to the Charge card itself, I actually prefer the Edge myself for the superior earn rate on groceries and fuel. I wonder if they'll let me have the 'downgrade' to the Edge if i ask. Though I'd have a different opinion if they'd added DPS (Ex-MEL) to the Reserve's free flight benefit.

Last edited:
Hi! Was a lurker but found this forum quite useful for a lot of things and decided to post my experience re this offer...

Spoke to Amex over the past few days - am currently a plat credit card member and they advised i will roll over to the Reserve. I saw the ad for the platcard and 75k points and wanted to get one but was disappointed at first when I read this forum which said it was only for new-new customers.

In any case i called them up and got conflicting stories - one customer officer said I couldn't get the points as was existing amex customer. I spoke to another one who gave the new accounts department a call and she said that I could get the following offer as i was an existing member:
i. Annual fee of $600 for the first year and
ii. They would give me 75k points if spent $500 p.m. by December

I got them to reassure me repeatedly and she documented this on my file. Also had a voicemail from them advising this so hopefully they will come good on it. She was relatively confident that I will get the above offer - as she said was automatic for existing customers. I will reconfirm with them before activating my card.

As an aside, I called in Aug on another method pre the promotion to get my Plat CC fee waived when it is next renewed ($349 p.a.) and they agreed apparently due to my good spend history (which I don't think it that flash ~$2-3k pm?). Will be able to keep the flight as well.

Hope this helps and maybe can help with negotiating with amex - ask them to speak to new cards...

Hi! Was a lurker but found this forum quite useful for a lot of things and decided to post my experience re this offer...

Spoke to Amex over the past few days - am currently a plat credit card member and they advised i will roll over to the Reserve. I saw the ad for the platcard and 75k points and wanted to get one but was disappointed at first when I read this forum which said it was only for new-new customers.

In any case i called them up and got conflicting stories - one customer officer said I couldn't get the points as was existing amex customer. I spoke to another one who gave the new accounts department a call and she said that I could get the following offer as i was an existing member:
i. Annual fee of $600 for the first year and
ii. They would give me 75k points if spent $500 p.m. by December

I got them to reassure me repeatedly and she documented this on my file. Also had a voicemail from them advising this so hopefully they will come good on it. She was relatively confident that I will get the above offer - as she said was automatic for existing customers. I will reconfirm with them before activating my card.

As an aside, I called in Aug on another method pre the promotion to get my Plat CC fee waived when it is next renewed ($349 p.a.) and they agreed apparently due to my good spend history (which I don't think it that flash ~$2-3k pm?). Will be able to keep the flight as well.

Hope this helps and maybe can help with negotiating with amex - ask them to speak to new cards...

That sounds like a good result !! I will also try the same and see how I get on.

Hong Kong here I come with all those bonus points :mrgreen:

R

Just wondering, if you are a new customer, would you get the Reserve Card for free when getting this Platinum Charge Card? The ad does not mention this.

Have had success in the past with promotions and not being targeted!

20,000 and 30,000 points given previous due to my "disappointment" with not being able to take part in various promotions. Nothing to do with the 5000 for 5 promo either :D

Will report back!

Any update to this lovestotravel?
I am a Platinum Charge Card holder and wasn't able to squeeze any more points out of them :-(. Mind you it was a general call so I hadn't revealed anhy personal details.

Might try again after I hear back from you. I think I need some tips on what to say, etc! :)

Hello kort, I like to ski down various ski slopes :D for your information :cool:

Haven't hard a chance to call them yet! Will be calling them next Monday as I am about to put on about $20k of new charges this week, so that will help :)

Will report back here or on that other thread :mrgreen:

I have been looking at applying for one of these cards so this promo has arrived at a perfect time.

However, nowhere can I find any mention of the 4 free supplementary cards as has been advertised previously (which I require).

The only detail is as follows:
"Platinum Card Service - The Card Service is here to help whether you need emergency assistance, your account balance, Membership Rewards point's redemptions or additional Supplementary Cards".

You'll also be immediately elevated into Ascent Premium, our premium Membership Rewards program. As a member, you'll be able to transfer points directly into the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, as well as seven other leading airline rewards partner programs

I'm an existing Amex cardholder with enrolment in the normal Ascent program. If I apply for this charge card, will points earned on the Platinum be kept separately from my existing points earned within the normal Ascent program? Or are the pooled together, distinguished only by the points earning capacity?

Also, anyone know the estimated card application turnaround time, from submission date to receiving the card in the mail?

After takinf close to a month to finally register a new card for this promotion, I'd encourage anyone who receives the offer to complete the paperwork. I had the misfortune to start the process over the phone with the Aegis Global call centre and it took them close to 4 weeks to realise a problem with their SMS gateway was holding up my application.

AMEX themselves were great, however could only provide limited support :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back