Amex Platinum Charge - 50000 points for 1st $5000 spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

edman

Noticed an ad today that led to the link below, seems like Amex are fairly agressive atm considering all the promos they are running. 50000 points for the first $5000 spend for the charge card, seems like the terms of the card are as per normal apart from the initial bonus points.

American Express Platinum Card

There is another thread that mentions this card....and while the 50,000 sign on points would be great...note that a yearly Card Fee of $900 applies!!!

So you would need to value more than the points for it to be a good card for you (say compared to the cheaper Plat CC which also has a domestic flight for half the cost at about $395ish..and where you can get a 30K bonus at present):
  • Airport Lounge Access
American Express Platinum Card
  • Concierge Service (I assume this ata higer level than just the CC plat...but maybe not???)
With Charge Card you can earn 1.5 points/$ for your first $200,000 spend at then at the rate of 1.0 thereafter.

Last edited:
Remember when the Plat card was invitation only.. Now any Tom, **** and Harry can sign up for it... :(

AMEX must have a lot of spare points up it's sleeves to be able to run these massive point promotions currently...

Plat Charge includes the Plat CC for free, so you can have the flight as well.

Does anyone here actually have both and use both, apart from using the charge card and getting the credit card just for the free flight? I'm just curious as I can't see the benefit, so would be happy to be enlightened to the benefits. I guess having the two accounts and therefore the higher points threshold before it scales back to 1 point per $ is one advantage...

$600 difference in the fee over the credit card means you have to get a lot of value out of the free flight/hotel night

Does anyone here actually have both and use both, apart from using the charge card and getting the credit card just for the free flight? I'm just curious as I can't see the benefit, so would be happy to be enlightened to the benefits. I guess having the two accounts and therefore the higher points threshold before it scales back to 1 point per $ is one advantage...

$600 difference in the fee over the credit card means you have to get a lot of value out of the free flight/hotel night

Well i spend over $250,000 p.a. so the points is an important factor when deciding to get the Charge.

I always pay full balance on due date so thats not a problem.

I like the fact that i have "unlimited" spend on the charge card... they have let me go up to $160,000 when required... and the max credit limit on the credit card is $100,000.

I also like cherrypicking which card to use. E.g. Credit Card statement cycle ends on 4th of the month... So from the 5th - 22nd i use that card. The charge card statement cycle ends 21st .. so from th22nd - 4th i use the charge card.

I enjoy maximising the interest free days... actually that pays for the $900 over the year 3 times over or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back