AMEX Platinum Charge / 100,000 bonus points / $1000 spend / New card members

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottlu13

The bonus points have been upped to 100,000 for new card members, could be tempted to get back on one of these...

https://www.americanexpress.com/australia/platinum-charge/rwd/?sourcecode=4C00009151&cpid=100152063

Few questions:
1) How's peoples experience with the Sydney international AMEX lounge?

2) Can AMEX Platinum Edge be the companion card or do they only allow the Reserve, I've heard mixed reports.

3) Platinum Charge cardholders, happy with their cards current benefits?

Thanks guys!

Luke

The bonus points have been upped to 100,000 for new card members, could be tempted to get back on one of these...

Actually 120,000 Bonus Points by using a referral in the referrals section of AFF HERE

That's enough for a one-way First Class / Suites flight to Europe with Singapore Airlines or a return First Class to Tokyo with JAL - really a no-brainer even considering the $1200 card fee.

1) How's peoples experience with the Sydney international AMEX lounge?

It's pretty good especially considering you can get two guests in with you for free!
You will find a detailed review of the lounge with pics HERE.

2) Can AMEX Platinum Edge be the companion card or do they only allow the Reserve, I've heard mixed reports.

Normally it's the Reserve but quite a few people managed to talk AMEX into "downgrading" to Edge. Do keep in mind the Reserve comes with better options for the free flight (e.g. destinations include NZ)

3) Platinum Charge cardholders, happy with their cards current benefits?

Personally I'm very happy as I make use of most of the perks that come with it - e.g. $200 travel bonus, Accor Plus, Elite status with hotel chains, Priority Pass, access to Virgin Australia domestic lounges, access to AMEX Lounge at SYD, Travel insurance, etc.
In my opinion, if you travel a lot internationally and stay at major hotel chains you can get a lot of value out of the AMEX Charge Platinum, on the other hand if you don't travel much it's probably hard to justify the $1200 yearly fee. Having said that it's really a no-brainer in the first year once you take the 120k bonus points into account!

Last edited:
Wouldn,t it be nice to give something to long standing card holders,all these offers to attract new card holders .Having had an Amex since 1977 I have never had any offers like this.I bet if I wanted to cancel they wouldnd,t care.the philosophy these days get new clients,p...s off the old ones.

I've had my charge card for 7 months, and in that time I've gotten about $900 of solid tangible value (travel credit, free flight, statement credits, Accor night) plus other tangible benefits where the value depends on your perception (e.g. lounge access). I'd say it has been worth it even ignoring the signup bonus, but I'm not sure about next year when I'll be overseas a lot in places where Amex is even less well accepted than Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back