AMEX PLatinum card or edge card travel insurrance cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlg0606

In the card benefit, it says Complimentary travel insurance for you and your families when you pay with your card.

But when you to their terms and conditions:
it says:
Important: Supplementary Card Members are not covered for Travel Insurance benefits (see table below). If You are a Supplementary Card Member or a Supplementary Card Member is traveling with You on a Trip, You should consider whether these benefits provide adequate cover. The Supplementary Card Member may need to take out a separate travel insurance policy. The table below provides details of who is covered under the insurance benefits:

this Platinum card term and conditions is the most recent one.

Isn't this information contradictory to each other? or is there any misunderstanding?

Thank you.

Lee

It comes down to definitions...

> Definition of You:
You/Your means:
1. a Primary Card Member;

> Definition of Primary Card Member:
Primary Card Member means:
1. the person who applied for the American Express Platinum Card Account
and who is issued an American Express Platinum Card Account as the
primary account holder; and
2. their husband, wife, fiance(e), de facto or life partner with whom they have
continuously cohabited for a period of six (6) months or more; and
3. their legally dependent children (including stepchildren or legally adopted
children) who are twenty-four (24) years of age or less and wholly
dependent on them for financial support.

So your family is covered subject to them fitting the above definition (e.g. children over 24 or working full time are not covered).

Note this is from the Platinum Charge T&Cs - not sure if the same is true for the Edge, pls check the relevant T&Cs

Isn't this information contradictory to each other? or is there any misunderstanding?

I have gone over this T&C multiple times and it all just did my head in, so I gave up.

In the end I just decided to never use my AMEX for booking travel, instead I use one of the 4 other credit cards that I have that states it clearly covers my family and/or supplementary without any ambiguity at all. I nominated Citibank as my preferred choice as it covers supplementary cardholders on their own.

Not sure if I ever took into account what M@arcoPolo just wrote.

I think what its meant to mean is a primary card holders wife (in this instance) is covered when paid for and travelling with the primary card holder. If the wife is a supplementary card holder and uses the supplementary card to pay for her own trip, then she would not be covered.

That's my 2 cents from a non-legal/insurance expert. So please ignore my interpretation as its probably wrong.

I think what its meant to mean is a primary card holders wife (in this instance) is covered when paid for and travelling with the primary card holder. If the wife is a supplementary card holder and uses the supplementary card to pay for her own trip, then she would not be covered.

In the example you made, just to be safe I'd pay with the primary card holder's card, however there's no mention whatsoever in the T&Cs that the spouse / partner / children must be travelling with the primary card holder. I specifically called to verify this when my son went travelling to Europe on his own and they confirmed he would be covered. Of course just to be sure you should call them to confirm before you book for your spouse / children travelling on their own...

In the example you made, just to be safe I'd pay with the primary card holder's card

I wouldn't worry about which card was used (especially as the primary card holder may have more than one card.

The T&C for activation of travel insurance is very clear that it is the ACCOUNT, not any particular card which is relevant.

Cover is effective when You pay the full fare for a Trip:
i) on the American Express Platinum Card Account; or
ii) with American Express Membership Rewards points; or
iii) with any other travel rewards or frequent flyer points provided the
taxes and/or surcharges have been charged to Your American Express
Platinum Card Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back