Amex Platinum Card - How to get Free Reserve Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmison

Intern
Hi Guys,

I understand that with a Platinum Charge Card, I am entitled to get a Platinum Reserve Credit Card with the annual fee waived

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting this?

When I select apply for a supplementary card in my AMEX online services it doesn't let me apply for one as "self" it expects it to be for someone else.

thanks for your help!

I called them and they said "we'll get that out to you" unsure if they meant a FORM or the CARD?

I presume Form....

I've applied mine online straight after I got the plat charge, plug the plat charge number into the application and call them once the reserve card has arrived to make sure the fee is waived. Grab the Edge card too while you're at it, that thing is a nice little MR points earner.

I've applied mine online straight after I got the plat charge, plug the plat charge number into the application and call them once the reserve card has arrived to make sure the fee is waived. Grab the Edge card too while you're at it, that thing is a nice little MR points earner.

OP should note that the Edge isn't part of the deal and needs to be applied for, approved and paid for separately.... It does offer good value of you shop at those type of merchants so could be a good supplement to the Charge card of you have a lot of everyday spend with supermarkets etc

I got the Edge complimentary instead of Reserve - worked out to be a better card for me

The way I see it, grab the free Reserve (that's 1 domestic tix) and pay $149 for the Edge for the point earning potential (it's essentially my fuel and grocery card) plus 1 additional domestic tix.

Do you guys find value for the $900 annual fee for the platinum charge card after the first year? i.e. into the 2nd year...

What's the point in getting the Reserve card as the Charge is identical except being a charge card? Wouldn't getting the Edge make more sense for 100% of people?

What's the point in getting the Reserve card as the Charge is identical except being a charge card? Wouldn't getting the Edge make more sense for 100% of people?

For points earn yes, however the free flight with Reserve expands the amount of destinations and includes longer flights such as to New Zealand...

If you're just going to use it between MEL and SYD then Edge might make sense.

It is also worth noting that I don't drive so the Edge has limited value for me, and I have a Diner's card so already earn three points for my supermarket shopping...

For points earn yes, however the free flight with Reserve expands the amount of destinations and includes longer flights such as to New Zealand...

If you're just going to use it between MEL and SYD then Edge might make sense.

It is also worth noting that I don't drive so the Edge has limited value for me, and I have a Diner's card so already earn three points for my supermarket shopping...

Hadn't thought of it like that. Makes sense :)

I couldn't justify the $900 in year 2 - especially with the reduction in benefits. So I cancelled my charge - but kept the edge. Interestingly, i'm way past my 12 months on Edge and they haven't charged me a $149 for year 2....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back