Amex Platinum approvals time - take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
On 15 June I applied for the Amex Platinum Charge card. I met all the publically listed requirements etc.

Two weeks had passed and I hadn't heard a thing from Amex. Frankly, I was in two minds about the card anyways given it's annual but nevertheless.

I called the new accounts team yesterday who advised they are still processing the application and a decision hasn't been made and it would be another 4 to 7 business days.
Again, I don't care that much if I am approved or not, but has anyone else recently applied and had the approval take so long?

I have Veda alerts setup and they haven't even done a credit assessment yet.
On the plus side, I did confirm that given I have an Amex Velocity Platinum and I can simply convert that to a Platinum Reserve when/if approved for a Platinum Charge.

is this normal? Am I undesirable? Are Amex behind?

Last edited:
It's strange that it's taking so long. I got an answer on the spot. Are you self-employed? I'm PAYG employee so assumed I was quite straight forward.
Was also able to convert my Velocity Platinum to Platinum Reserve which is was quite impressed with - saved me another Veda hit.

No, not self employed. Been at this address for 4.5 years, same employer, who is a government organisation, for 7 years. Credit score (if they use it) is at about 900 odd with Equifax (Veda) and 775 with Experian.
I churn through around $4000 a month on my current Amex, paid is full each month.

I straight out asked if I was declined, and they just said "No, it's still being processed".

Maybe Amex doesn't want me hehehe

Amex probably has a large volume of applications due to the RBA changes and probably hasn't increase their staff level to deal with all those new applicaitons.
Mine was approved at end of the application page.. Albeit mine was AMA..

But when I tried to apply the AMA Plat Edge, boy oh boy it took me 8 applications and 3 months to get the application approved.

Mine was approved instantly online, and welcome pack (plat charge) arrived the same week.

Re: credit inquiries, when you get the Plat Reserve after the Plat Charge, they still do a credit inquiry, along with any increase limit requests. That being said, I've had 3 home and investment refinances in the last year and I've applied for 6 or 7 cards this year without even a 1 point change in my credit score (somewhere in the "Very Good" category),

Generally when they're processing your Platinum reserve application there will be another credit inquiry.was able to avoid it by convincing Amex to do a product transfer from Velocity Platinum. Never seen it happen before but saved me an unnecessary credit inquiry.

Generally when they're processing your Platinum reserve application there will be another credit inquiry.was able to avoid it by convincing Amex to do a product transfer from Velocity Platinum. Never seen it happen before but saved me an unnecessary credit inquiry.

Nice work - I tried to convince AMEX to transfer my Velocity Platinum to a Platinum Reserve a couple of months ago and failed. I tried the HUACA method three times, but failed each time.

Update:

I flipped a table as such, well not really, but I did email a complaint to Amex. Obviously not about whether the application was approved or declined but the lack of communication and follow-up.

Executive Relations called and explained there was a system issue and that a large batch of applications were stuck and required manual intervention. During the same call the consultant advised my application was approved. The consultant also offered 5000 points as an apology.

It it seems American Express didn't hit my credit file so this wait might have worked in my favour.

Just submitted the the paperwork for the Companion card, I specifically requested a conversation from Velocity Platinum don't think I'll be lucky twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back