AMEX plat reserve not crediting double points correctly for travel spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgwells01

I have just gone thru my statements back to Oct when they changed the crediting rates on this card, have discovered most of my travel (Hilton, Hertz, Thrifty) have only been crediting one point per dollar spend instead of two. Rather annoying since I just trans all my points to benefit from the 15% Velocity transfer bonus that just finished. Charming man on the ph is now going thru my records back to Oct to check every transaction to make sure they get credited. I suggest you all check your membership rewards points actually earned for your spend and start making those calls, I'm pretty sure since we found about 10 on a couple of statements incorrect its going to be a considerable amount of points they are crediting and I don't think I'd be the only one that's missed out!

I have just gone thru my statements back to Oct when they changed the crediting rates on this card, have discovered most of my travel (Hilton, Hertz, Thrifty) have only been crediting one point per dollar spend instead of two. Rather annoying since I just trans all my points to benefit from the 15% Velocity transfer bonus that just finished. Charming man on the ph is now going thru my records back to Oct to check every transaction to make sure they get credited. I suggest you all check your membership rewards points actually earned for your spend and start making those calls, I'm pretty sure since we found about 10 on a couple of statements incorrect its going to be a considerable amount of points they are crediting and I don't think I'd be the only one that's missed out!

Are you sure that Hertz/Thrifty are 2:1 ?? I would double check that, as I don't believe that "car hire" was ever included under the 2:1 earning. Prove me wrong and I have a lot of emailing to do to my Centurion account manager !

Cheers.

I also checked my recent car rentals. They come in at 1 point, even though it's listed as 'Travel & Transport"

It is

2 points[SUP]2[/SUP] per $1 spent on:

• Airlines, accommodation, major cruises and tour operators paid directly or through
    travel agents listed here

Hilton should be 2pts/$1 though.

Hmmm, wasn't me that picked it up was him, found the first Hilton stay that hadn't credited correctly and then he said oh the Hertz and Thrifty ones are wrong too, said he would go back thru the statements, find all the ones that were incorrect and then get them corrected and someone would call me next week about it, but yes when you look at the t & c's it doesn't say car hire but the Hilton ones should definately be double points. Did notice the dining ones were crediting correctly as triple as well, just the travel ones had errors, will let you know when they ring next week, but it seems the car is 1 for 1.

Chase them up. I booked a hotel last year overseas at the Sofitel - only got the standard points. Sent them an email and they said that that particular hotel chain was not part of the deal or some other rubbish like that. But they said they will give me the extra points as a good will gesture. But then I blasted him as the spend was in Euros (which means anything you buy in foreign currency will get you double points - but also cost 3% commission), so he said he will investigate why that happened and get back to me. He never did. Anyway, moral of the story is always check your points. I make a habit of checking it once a week.

JFYI: I'm on the Edge which is supposed to award 2 Points per $ at "major petrol stations." But I noticed that I was credited 1:1 for filling up at BP Bowen Hills. Not a little independent - but BP, which is indeed defined as a "major petrol station" by AMEX's own T&Cs. The merchant is identified as BP on the Statement as well. Anyway, going through my MR entries very carefully with a fine tooth comb now rather than assuming. On the plus side, after sending a 'please explain?' via the online Secure Messaging facility on Saturday evening, I had a response on Sunday morning - the missing Points bonus has been credited to my account and they'd come back "within 7 business days" with an explanation as to why said Points had failed to credit in the first place. Colour me impressed.

I just found a strange one too. Spent $5.95 at a KFC outlet. Got 10 points only rather than 15. The thing is, I've always got 3x points from that outlet in the past. Just sent a secure message to Amex.

Ok, more transactions have come through. They are all at 2x points but the insurance still is 0.5. Looks like a glitch in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back