Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_OC

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Does anyone have current information/experience on whether holding a Westpac Altitude Amex and/or a David Jones Amex prevents someone from availing of sign up bonuses with "mainstream" AMEX cards? It certainly used to be the case that you could get AMEX sign up bonues even if you hold one or both of those cards. For example, see here: Credit Card Sign-up Bonus Exclusion Periods

Does anyone know if anything has changed?

Background is that I plan to use the COVID-19 downtime as an opportunity to get rid of relevant AMEX cards so I'm in a position to avail of bonus points again in 18 months (assuming the world as we know it still exists by then). I currently hold the Plat Edge and Westpac Altitude Black.

I will cancel the Plat Edge anyway, as it's pretty useless now and the travel credit no longer serves much purpose, so there is no justification for paying a fee for it anymore IMHO. I'd keep the Altitude Black if it didn't adversely affect future bonus points potential, but otherwise not averse to cancelling it too. I've actually lost a lot of my ongoing points earning potential anyway, as a lot of it was work-related travel that I'd pay for myself and then get reimbursed for, and clearly that won't be happening again for a while.

The best way to get a definitive answer would be to call Amex, tell them that you only hold a Westpac card, and ask if you're eligible for a sign-up bonus.

The best way to get a definitive answer would be to call Amex, tell them that you only hold a Westpac card, and ask if you're eligible for a sign-up bonus.

Thanks, but right now I'm definitely not eligible until at least 18 months from now, as I currently hold the Plat Edge card too. I realise that it may not be a question that anyone can answer definitively, and of course the rules could easily change in the future anyway. I just wondered if anyone had any recent knowledge though.

TBH, I'm leaning towards just cancelling both AMEX cards and starting my first AMEX-free period in a very long time!

Holding a bank issued Amex does. Not disqualify you .

Thanks - sounds promising, but just to make sure we're on the same page here: the current version of the Westpac Altitude AMEX is not a bank-issued card, it's issued directly by AMEX. This is different to the way things used to be, when Westpac (and other big banks) issued AMEX cards as "companions" to their MC/Visa cards. The current iteration is a separate card managed by AMEX - I get a statement from AMEX, I pay the bills via AMEX, and it shows up on my AMEX account alongside my Plat Edge (none of that was the case with the old Westpac-issued AMEX cards - hence my concern).

Apologies if I'm telling you what you already know, but just want to make sure your comment relates to the current Westpac/AMEX situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back