Altitude points - upgrading flights - I'm confused..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb0078

Hi there,

I'm very new here this being my first ever post ans so far I'm loving reading through all your posts,very interesting.

I'm hoping you can help me please ? really just to clarify a few questions that I can't seem to get answered...:confused:

We prefer to fly Qantas.

We have 2 black Westpac CC - Amex earning 3 points per $1 and MC earning 1.5 per $1 that go to Altitude points..We have currently around 190,000 and then my partner has also about 80,000 in QFF points (I don't have many about 20,000)

1./ So we are wanting to know do we put all daily purchases etc through these cards to bump up the points will it be worth it ?

So we are planning a trip to Europe early next year...

The main flights will be Adelaide/Melb to Rome , then small flights and trains through Europe then ending up in Spain (Madrid) to fly back home to Melb/Adel.

2./ Can someone please clarify if we just buy our economy flights lets just say Adel/Melb to Rome flights just on the net or even with a travel agent ...can we later then upgrade our flights using our Altitude points..?

3./ Do you think Altitude points are worth it ?

4./ Also our flight from Madrid to Melb/Adel we were thinking of using Qantas/Emirates but now I have been reading on here ..that maybe we would convert some points to KrispFlyer to Singapore airlines...if so will it work just to upgrade the flights..? Do you like flying with Singapore airlines ? Is it better than Qantas ?

I really would value and appreciate any opinions you would like to reply ....was trying to get through to Altitude Travel yesterday I gave up in the end...

Thanks so much I look forward to your replies please :D
Sherrie

Hi Sherrie, welcome.

To try to answer your questions:
1. Accruing points being "worth it" - I think it's actually hard for anyone else to decide this for you. You could accrue these points, register for upgrades, and then not have the upgrades come through. But they might come through. It's best to think of points upgrades as a lottery; don't count on them.

2. You will need to convert your Altitude points to the appropriate Frequent Flyer points. Altitude points I believe can be used to redeem for flights, but not for upgrades. Most airlines will only let members of their Frequent Flyer programs request upgrades on points. And then typically only for flights on their "metal", so for Qantas, you can only register for upgrades on QF coded flights that are being flown on Qantas planes. You cannot attempt to upgrade on points on QF codeshares that are actually operated by British Airways or Emirates, for example.
The ability to request an upgrade also depends on the fare type you book. Some cheap economy fares are not upgradeable (occastionally if the flights are lightly loaded, promotional emails will be sent before the flight enticing you to upgrade even if your fare wouldn't allow it).
If you are flying with a carrier like Qantas and flying to Rome, your easiest routing options are MEL-Dubai-Rome or MEL-Heathrow-Rome. The Dubia-Rome or Heathrow-Rome legs would be operated by a partner carrier and would not be upgradable on points.

3. I don't know. I don't have an Altitude card, but others on the forum do, and hopefully they will chime in.

4. I'm a fairly loyal Qantas passenger, as I have status with them and can get into fancy lounges and have more luggage without being charged for it. So, I like Qantas, and would tend to fly with them or Emirates where possible.
That's just my opinion though, I don't think badly of Singapore, and have heard many great things about them. Whether Singapore ir better than Qantas or any other airline is completely subjective. We all have our own opinions on that, and it depends on what you value - comfort, meals, connection times, service, lounge access, extra fees for items, etc, etc - as to which airline is "better".
That might not help very much, but I can't make the decision on better for you - I live in Queensland, and think wooden houses with wrap around verandahs are better than brick homes. Others would disagree with me. We're both right, to ourselves. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back