Alternatives to Centurion / Plat Amex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmone

Given the downgrade in the MR earning (esp for ATO & Utilities) and the bump in fees, there seems to be a swell of existing Amex using looking for alternative products from other financial institutions. So what are the alternatives that offer both similar levels of service but maintain a good points prog? I read the Citi was offering a swap prog for Centurion members to convert but when I called them their call centre had no clue.....

I should mention that some of my pet peeves with Amex include (apart from the recent changes):
1) Can't do a cash advance for the Credit Card (must be the only one in the world)
2) OS transitions cost a fortune with fees and the double conversion rate from Local --> US --> AUD (love the cheapie 28 Degrees Card when travelling, costs sod all and just works for cash adv and purchases....we just charge it up before we leave)!

You would think a premium card (that you pay a premium membership fee for would be “better” than the cheapies)…..

I should mention that some of my pet peeves with Amex include (apart from the recent changes):
1) Can't do a cash advance for the Credit Card (must be the only one in the world)
2) OS transitions cost a fortune with fees and the double conversion rate from Local --> US --> AUD (love the cheapie 28 Degrees Card when travelling, costs sod all and just works for cash adv and purchases....we just charge it up before we leave)!

You would think a premium card (that you pay a premium membership fee for would be “better” than the cheapies)…..

Amex isn't the only one that does the double conversion... There are Visa cards out there that do the same thing, although I think some like Citi directly convert certain currencies and the others all go via USD...

Every bank issued Amex has the same conversion method also, so you might find it difficult to find a 'full service' card that meets all your needs if this is an issue.

Agree 28 Degrees is good for OS use, however is certainly no match for domestic spend or anything you purchase where you want extended warranty, purchase protection etc etc

Agree 28 Degrees is good for OS use, however is certainly no match for domestic spend or anything you purchase where you want extended warranty, purchase protection etc etc
And totally useless OS if you want to earn FF pts of any breed size shape or description - cash out only use IMHO.

And totally useless OS if you want to earn FF pts of any breed size shape or description - cash out only use IMHO.

Exactly - however I use mine for purchases that would otherwise be paid for in cash as I'd rather just use the card and worry about payments later etc.

For the small amount of foreign cash that I do use I withdraw from a Citibank Plus account.

The Amex gets used for overseas hotels where booking through Amex and when they want to take a pre-auth as I find it easier to use a charge card for this... Doesn't mean I always pay through that method though.

The only other time it gets used overseas is if I want some kind of insurance protection that is built into the card and in these instance I'll earn 2 points so that softens the blow slightly.

I'm don't have any business expenses or tax to pay so the Select card isn't quite fantastic value for me given I prefer QF points at the moment and am just shy of the $120k requirement!

I find my CitiBusiness card is quite good and will be getting a heavier workout for daily transactions where I'm not stuffing my face (because I'll be getting 3 points via Amex to reward that) or when I'm staying awake for hours on end (2 points for flights) or shutting my eyes after an exhausting flight (2 points for sleeping)...

Qantas purchases will be directed towards my ANZ FF Platinum (2.5 points), along with any other basic spend that doesn't make its way onto the Citi card.

Believe it or not I will have the Plat Charge, Plat Reserve CC, Plat EDGE CC and Westpac Altitude Plat AMEX and Mastercard (from home loan).

I think I will just carry the plat charge and plat edge and the Westpac Mastercard (if no AMEX accepted).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back