Advice Regarding Travel Benefits for Amex Platinum Card vs Commbank Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLY

Hi,

This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it correctly.

Could I please get some advice from others regarding my situation.

My family and I are moving to the US (for 1 month) followed by the UK (6 months) next year.

I was looking at getting either the Amex Platinum Card or Commbank Diamond Awards Cards for the potential benefits they have.

Does anyone know how the travel insurance compares in terms of details and policy?
I know the diamond card covers for 12 months, but don't know how much the platinum card covers.

The other advantage to the platinum card I notice, is the priority pass and international lounge access.
Has anyone used this before? Are they good lounges or cough ones? Do I have to fly the airline affiliated with the lounge or can I fly another airline and get access to the lounge.

The major difference is the annual fee 1200 vs 395.

Therefore, I wanted to get peoples opinions as to whether it is worth getting any of these cards.

Thanks

JLY

Hi,

I was looking at getting either the Amex Platinum Card or Commbank Diamond Awards Cards for the potential benefits they have.

JLY

Welcome to AFF JLY

Depends on what you want to achieve - assuming it's more than just insurance. What FF scheme do you have or want to build status with?

I've got CBA Dia and only use the AMEX because it's fee free and still pays 1.5x for ATO and all other charges - the MC is pathetic for QF points.

I also use QF Ult Amex for hotels, restaurants, airfares and foreign spend as the QFF point payout is 2x and 3x.

Both have insurance which we rely on. Luckily, no first hand experience to advise which is better.

For me - it's a mixture of both because of the higher foreign, etc point earn with Ult and the local benefits of ATO points with Dia. If I was with a different FF scheme....I would probably use completely different cards.

Last edited:
Hi,
Does anyone know how the travel insurance compares in terms of details and policy?
I know the diamond card covers for 12 months, but don't know how much the platinum card covers.

Travel insurance only covers trips that return back to Australia. So i assume that when you say relocate, you will come back to Australia again within the covered period.

From Commbank:

Complimentary International Travel insurance is extended to all eligible CommBank Gold, Platinum or Diamond credit card holders who before leaving Australia simply:

• Spend $1,000 or more on prepaid travel costs listed below by redeeming your CommBank Award points and/or using your active, eligible CommBank Gold, Platinum or Diamond credit card; and
  • Have return overseas travel tickets.
If you’re eligible as outlined above, then your spouse and dependent children who travel with you for the entire journey on the same itinerary will also be covered, provided that before leaving Australia they have a return overseas travel ticket and you spend on each $1,000 or more on their prepaid travel costs by redeeming your CommBank Award points and/or using your active eligible CommBank Gold, Platinum or Diamond credit card

Hi,

This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it correctly.

Could I please get some advice from others regarding my situation.

My family and I are moving to the US (for 1 month) followed by the UK (6 months) next year.

The other advantage to the platinum card I notice, is the priority pass and international lounge access.
Has anyone used this before? Are they good lounges or cough ones? Do I have to fly the airline affiliated with the lounge or can I fly another airline and get access to the lounge.

The major difference is the annual fee 1200 vs 395.

Therefore, I wanted to get peoples opinions as to whether it is worth getting any of these cards.

Thanks

JLY

I've had both cards. Stick with the Diamond - especially if you can get it at a discount - which is a lot easier with the CBA than the Platinum Charge nowadays. Better insurance, better earn rate - and a third of the price. I would't bother with the Priority pass - unless you are going to be doing a lot of travelling. The lounges are really poor - basically as poor as you can get. And any family memebers (any guests) will be charged $US27 per visit. Certainly not worth shelling out for the Plat Charge.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Yes, we are coming back to Australia after 7 months overseas.

I thought the priority pass may be beneficial with the travel to the US followed by UK (and the transits in between) particularly with 2 young children, but it sounds like its not worth the effort or cost.

The only concern, I have with the COmmbank insurance is that you need a return ticket, which is not possible as you can only book 1 year in advance.

JLY

Thanks to all for the replies.

Yes, we are coming back to Australia after 7 months overseas.

I thought the priority pass may be beneficial with the travel to the US followed by UK (and the transits in between) particularly with 2 young children, but it sounds like its not worth the effort or cost.

The only concern, I have with the COmmbank insurance is that you need a return ticket, which is not possible as you can only book 1 year in advance.

JLY

Both cards require you to book a return ticket on the card to be eligible for travel insurance. It's become a standard on all credit cards.

With the recent change in the Platinum Charge card fee, they now let you apply for two priority pass access. One for your yourself and one for your supplementary. And each priority pass member can bring a guest in free.

The priority pass access they enrol you into onto the Platinum Charge is the highest membership level with unlimited access and one free guest for each member.

Both cards require you to book a return ticket on the card to be eligible for travel insurance. It's become a standard on all credit cards.

With the recent change in the Platinum Charge card fee, they now let you apply for two priority pass access. One for your yourself and one for your supplementary. And each priority pass member can bring a guest in free.

The priority pass access they enrol you into onto the Platinum Charge is the highest membership level with unlimited access and one free guest for each member.

In addition to this remember that you get access to many airline lounges in the US just by having the Platinum charge. You will need to be flying that airline but im pretty sure US Airways, American and Delta are all included...

If you're doing a lot of travel it would be most beneficial to pay on your platinum charge for flights and hotels (assuming paid when you book) as you'll get more points. If you've already paid then this diminishes the benefit you can gain from this card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back