Advice on booking flights PER-HKG-PER

Status
Not open for further replies.

IainBinnie

Hi,

long time lurker, first time poster.

I am looking to book 2 return flights from Perth to HK around the middle of November this year and wanted some advice on the most efficient way to utilize the points I have spread around the place (don't expect to use them all).

AMEX MR:61,500
Asiana: 24,000
Skywards: 13,250
QFF: 20,000

Asia Miles / QFF is 45,000 for a return ticket

Whats are people's thoughts on how to maximise the points:?:

Hi,

long time lurker, first time poster.

I am looking to book 2 return flights from Perth to HK around the middle of November this year and wanted some advice on the most efficient way to utilize the points I have spread around the place (don't expect to use them all).

AMEX MR:61,500
Asiana: 24,000
Skywards: 13,250
QFF: 20,000

Asia Miles / QFF is 45,000 for a return ticket

Whats are people's thoughts on how to maximise the points:?:

As always it is useful to have some further details...

As this is an Amex thread I'll focus on your MR of which you have more than other rewards programs. Of the rewards programs you are a member of, do you fly with that airline regularly? Do you have status? Do you want to earn status?

I'm assuming you're ok with flying Economy (which many here will argue is the worst possible flight redemption option amongst many airlines...), however when I do a search on QF I see Perth to Hong Kong return in Eco (on Cathay) as 70,000 points.

You'll find that Asia Miles and Qantas have different burn rates regardless of the fact that they are in the same alliance... was the 45k from Cathay's website by any chance?

If you are looking at QF economy then you will need 140,000 QF points plus a cash component to pay the taxes etc

Therefore if you are looking to book soon I'd suggest you might need to do a points ticket plus a paid ticket by the looks of it...

Something of a left field suggestion, have you thought about an award to TPE, then grabbing a J flight ex TPE to PER return for around $2000 which will earn quite a bit of points, its not a bad way of doing it if you intend to return to Asia on a regular basis, if its a one off trip its probably not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back