advice for citibank newby

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg1111

Hi, would appreciate advice re best use of ~300,000 citibank gold points. Last time (2006), just did a take flight $1 for $100 reduction on Harvey World ticket costs. Seems that this is no longer available etc. I'm currently not a Qantas ff member. Where to go from here?

Check the rewards store to see what interests you...

Whatever the case, these points have obviously taken you many years to build up (given the points cap), and I would be looking to move them out of citibank fairly quickly.

Move to Singapore Krisflyer where that will be enough for two Saver Awards in Business Class to Euope from selected cities (ie Manchester, Amersterfam, Rome, Athens, Freankfurt, Instanbul).

One Saver J = 127500 (if booked online to gain the 15% discount) points plus fuel fines and taxes for Europe return.

Vietanam return is 87,500.

Points transfers at about 0.67 from memory. QF is at 1/1..but gives less value after transfer.

To build up think about swapping toa Westapc Krisfluer Amex/Visa
10000 points for signing on.

Amex earns at 1.5 Krisflyer points per $ and Visa 1.0 point per $

Caveat: look at where you want to fly and in what class before deciding.

Recently converted 180,000 Citi reward points into A$1500 worth of MEL-DAR-MEL airfares. Very poor conversion rate. Immediately changed to having my Citibank points going into my QFF program every month where I'll get much better value. I could have got three MEL- SIN-MEL for 180,000 QFF points!

THis may not help your current dilema, but sugest you joing QFF and tip yout points into it each month.

Thanks for those suggestions.
Krisflyer or Qantas is the question then ...

And, just how do you go about transferring accrued points across once I've joined one or other of them??? Is that from within the citibank website that you do that?

Thanks again.

Thanks for those suggestions.
Krisflyer or Qantas is the question then ...

And, just how do you go about transferring accrued points across once I've joined one or other of them??? Is that from within the citibank website that you do that?

Thanks again.
Qantas is out.If you switch to a citibank QF earning card you lose the points you have.So switch those to Krisflyer and then think if you want to keep your citi card and whether QF might be the way to go.
From the citi website-
"To earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points

If you are already a Platinum Cardholder, you will simply need to opt-in to Citi Qantas Rewards by calling 1800 818 008.
If you are not yet a Platinum Cardholder, you will need to call 13 24 84 to request an upgrade3 to a Platinum Card and then opt-in to Citi Qantas Rewards.

Any Citi Rewards points remaining at the time you opt-in will not be transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account. You will need to redeem these points before you opt-in to Citi Qantas Rewards otherwise they will expire"

So, Krisflyer then. I've just had a look through the citibank cardservices site & can't see how to transfer points to Krisflyer, which I've now signed up for.

Anyone know how that's done?

Thanks.

I agree with Dr Ron's (the C210 pilot) advice. You can only use KrisFlyer for what you want/need to do. Be aware however that KrisFlyer points time expire after five years from memory, where as QFF points don't.

So, Krisflyer then. I've just had a look through the citibank cardservices site & can't see how to transfer points to Krisflyer, which I've now signed up for.

Anyone know how that's done?

Thanks.

Be careful about limited availability on Krisflyer.

Check some flights out before you hit transfer!

Re: advice for citibank newby - again!

Still haven't done anything about those Citibank points!! - & I need to - for a trip to HK in Jan.

Is KrisFlyer still the best advice re Citibank, given my card isn't connected to Qantas FF (however, I do have QFF membership)?

I looked at Take Flight & they want to use up ~170,000 pts (incl taxes) for a HK return to Melb! KFlyer transfers at 2/3? How will that compare (they don't cover taxes)??

Thanks.

I can't help you re Kris Flyer, but I got out of the Citibank rewards scheme a couple of years ago. I used a truck load of points to purchase Melbourne-Darwin-Melbourne airfares and the conversion rate was appaling. If I'd had my card linked to QFFF I could have purchased a ticket to London. I burned up the points and then linked my card to my QFFF program.

You may not have the flexibility you get with Citi points but the dollars spent/points earning ratio is much much better. Since then I've get a Citibank Emirates Platinum card and the points earning ration is even better.

Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back