A railroad in search of a country (Canada 2022)

kileskus

Intern
20211205_120738.jpg
Parliament Hill, Ottawa

I spent several months last year travelling from Nova Scotia through to British Columbia. In this thread I’ll mainly talk about VIA Rail and the trips I had with them.

Although I did travel by air, and with Air Canada, Westjet, Air Transat and the budget airlines, I feel like you really need to travel Canada by rail first if you want to truly begin to understand it. I read somewhere that in the 19th century Canada was a railroad in search of a country. The first major cities of Montréal, Québec City, Halifax, Toronto, and Kingston came to be for their naval significance, and then the towns and cities that came after developed around the railway lines that were used to send wood and furs to those port cities. For example, Saskatoon and Moncton were really just major rail stations before they became the cities they are today. One of the conditions for the Maritime provinces to join the Confederation was that they would facilitate the burgeoning railway.

The Canadian Pacific Railway was the country’s largest operator of trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic steamships, creating a world-wide network of transport for mail, freight, and tourists. Those ships were later used as troop ships during WWI and WWII.

Canadian National gave Canada its first radio network, to provide entertainment for passengers and workers. That’s the CN in the CN Tower. The tower was built to facilitate the radio network.

20220419_060708.jpg

Many hotels in the country, and most of the well-known/prestigious ones, were originally railway hotels built for tourists on the trains and sometimes accommodating the employees as well. (Nowadays, as those hotels are mostly no longer operated by the railway company, the crews don’t necessarily stay there.) Think Château Frontenac in Québec City, the one that inspired the Disney castle logo. Château Laurier in Ottawa is also a railway hotel, and it, along with the old Ottawa railway station, forms the current temporary location for the Senate while Parliament Hill is undergoing renovations until 2023. The acoustics there are good, I'm told.

frontenac.jpg
An admittedly unflattering angle of the Château Frontenac, Québec City. Rates start at $400 AUD per night

I'll try to make this less of the monologue my other trip reports are. I'll talk a bit about VIA Rail and its loyalty program since I kind of think I enjoyed the end of an era with the now-axed rail passes, but otherwise it'll be mainly picture-based with some random facts and won't be in chronological order. I hope you enjoy reading this and that it gives you some new destinations to think about the next time you visit Canada. And forgive me if most of the photos turn out as dreary as this - I blame the climate:

20211205_112519.jpg

VIA Rail and VIA Rail Préférence

via-rail-map.jpg

Although I wax poetic about train travel, the truth is it's usually cheaper than flying in Canada and that was initially my main motivation.

I wanted to travel around the country. The coughulative prices for flights made my eyes water. I ended up tossing up between an Air Canada pass or a VIA Rail unlimited zone 6 (whole network) pass. The train pass seemed like better value - a two-month cross-country pass was $1500CAD before taxes, roughly $1800AUD.

In June 2022, VIA discontinued its rail passes. Apart from their network pass, there were also rail passes for specific routes, for example for the west, or the Windsor Corridor between Ottawa and Québec City, or for the Maritimes from Montréal to Halifax. You could get passes for a certain number of trips or for unlimited trips.

It makes me sad that the passes were axed. They were truly a good opportunity for tourists looking to spend a couple of weeks seeing what the country has to offer. When I talk to people who visit Canada, most usually name a city or two, usually Vancouver (or Whistler if they're a real cosmopolitan), Toronto, or Montréal. Those cities by far do not represent the country.

To be fair, a lot of Canadians also have not visited another province as it's more affordable to travel overseas than domestically. The loss of the rail passes makes cross-country travel even less of a possibility for the average Canadian. And I think that's terrible for a country which already has a lot of internal antagonism, west vs east and English vs French.

---

VIA Préférence is the loyalty program. It has three tiers, Préférence, Privilège, and Premier, which you can think of as bronze, silver, and gold respectively. Each tier has a spends and a segments travelled requirement, kind of like miles and sectors in an airline FF program. As part of the post-COVID recovery endeavour, during the qualification period from April 2021 to March 2022, the requirements were halved. A few days before the qualification period ended, I purchased my rail pass and took a few trips. Pre-COVID that would have made me a Privilège member, but with the halved requirements it bumped me right up to Premier until April 2023.

The benefits are as follows:

preference tiers.png

The most valuable benefit to me as a Premier member was the four coupons. Each coupon has four options that you can take, and usually the choice comes to getting a discount on a cash fair, a discount on a redemption, or a straight-up points bonus. To get the most value out of these coupons, you would compare the straight-up points to how much you would otherwise have paid in points for a redemption. For example, coupon 2, getting a 50% discount on a Sleeper Plus trip from Montréal to the east coast is worth more than the 1,125 points, so that’s what I did for my trip to New Brunswick.

I burned the rest of my points on business class along the Windsor corridor (Québec City – Ottawa), not the best value but I was leaving the country and didn’t have time for a long trip west. Lazy easterners who don't deign to step foot in the west also burn their points this way when the end of their period looms. Your tier resets to Préférence in April of the following year.

VIA is making changes to its loyalty program as we speak, with the changes to be rolled out in March 2023. While there are a few positive changes (not having to wait until the next qualification period for your benefits to come into effect), it sounds like they've gone the airline route, allowing you to waste spend points on add-ons and introducing dynamic pricing for reward redemptions (this is my interpretation, we'll have to see when it's fully rolled out).

Windsor corridor - business class

Québec City - Montréal - Ottawa. The scenery is fantastic, especially in winter, with picturesque snow-covered pine trees and the occasional fox and moose. You also avoid the heavy traffic in and out of Montréal. I drove once from Québec to Montréal and am not keen to do that again.

20221207_164741.jpg
Business lounge in Montréal

20221216_174836.jpg
20221216_183107.jpg
Business lounge in Ottawa

The lounges have different sections, there’s a TV alcove with national news, an area with tables and charging ports for working, and a general relaxation area with dimmer lighting. There used to be magazines but those are now digital because of COVID. The Ottawa lounge, which is quite large, also has a ‘kitchen’ area. Both lounges have a selection of non-alcoholic drinks and teas, plus a coffee machine and a fruit basket. I didn't go to the Québec one but I imagine it'd be the same.

Station announcements are turned down in the lounge and only turned up if the message pertains to the passengers in the lounge. For priority boarding, there’ll be an announcement or a staff member will come find you and direct you to a separate boarding gate.

If the trip is around meal times you’ll be given a meal, otherwise a cold plate of snacks/refreshments. As a Premier member, the car attendant would ask me for my meal preference while checking my ticket, and they set aside that meal for you during the service.

20221216_194834.jpg
Maple-glazed salmon with a Niagara white wine

On evening runs there's a drinks service at the start, with alcoholic and non-alcohol drinks, followed by disposable hot towels and then the meal service, with three meal options and more alcoholic drinks. After the meal service the drinks cart comes again. It was my birthday one of those days, so I was especially pleased by the amount of alcohol for what was a fairly short trip.

All in all, I think business is still good value even if you're paying cash. It’s often about twice the price of economy, plus or minus a little. For points redemptions, if the opportunity cost of visiting the Maritimes or the west doesn't bother you, then it's also good value. Just remember to try to get the dinnertime trips.

Attachments

• 20221216_174836.jpg
    20221216_174836.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 0
Québec City

One of the oldest cities in the country, chosen originally as a fort because of its strategic geography (along the St Lawrence River, hilly).
20211220_152259.jpg

You'll get plenty of exercise walking up and down the sloping streets, and if that's not enough try Nordic skiing or skating at the Plains of Abraham in winter.

If you're interested in Canadian history and especially the English-French relations, come here for a visit. The Plains of Abraham was a key battle site between the English and the French. It was in this battle that the British commander James Wolfe was mortally wounded. When he was told that the French had retreated, he said, "Now, God be praised, I will die in peace."

20211220_150216.jpg
The view from the Plains

20211222_114843.jpg
The Château Frontenac

20211225_175812.jpg
The Christmas spirit along the famous Little Champlain street

Half an hour's drive out from Québec City, you pass Valcartier, one of Canada's major military bases. It was one of the first bases, I believe, and most recently was used to train troops going to Iraq. And just past Valcartier is Jacques Cartier National Park, which is what we would call in English a provincial park. In French, 'nation' has a slightly different meaning. There are several such locations in and around Québec if you're into hiking and the outdoors.
20211229_143017 (1).jpg20211229_153134 (1).jpg

That's a great summary of Via's operations and practical how-to-use it. But poor Via. Kicked from pillar to post by the federal government in the 2010s when I spent a lot of time in Canada and had some dealings with mainly CP Rail for freight but as they owned (I think still do?) much of Via's tracks, they came into the picture as well. Hard to run a business when you are constantly looking over your shoulder at both your owner and (sort of) competition.

View attachment 318101
Parliament Hill, Ottawa

I spent several months last year travelling from Nova Scotia through to British Columbia. In this thread I’ll mainly talk about VIA Rail and the trips I had with them.

Although I did travel by air, and with Air Canada, Westjet, Air Transat and the budget airlines, I feel like you really need to travel Canada by rail first if you want to truly begin to understand it. I read somewhere that in the 19th century Canada was a railroad in search of a country. The first major cities of Montréal, Québec City, Halifax, Toronto, and Kingston came to be for their naval significance, and then the towns and cities that came after developed around the railway lines that were used to send wood and furs to those port cities. For example, Saskatoon and Moncton were really just major rail stations before they became the cities they are today. One of the conditions for the Maritime provinces to join the Confederation was that they would facilitate the burgeoning railway.

The Canadian Pacific Railway was the country’s largest operator of trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic steamships, creating a world-wide network of transport for mail, freight, and tourists. Those ships were later used as troop ships during WWI and WWII.

Canadian National gave Canada its first radio network, to provide entertainment for passengers and workers. That’s the CN in the CN Tower. The tower was built to facilitate the radio network.

View attachment 318102

Many hotels in the country, and most of the well-known/prestigious ones, were originally railway hotels built for tourists on the trains and sometimes accommodating the employees as well. (Nowadays, as those hotels are mostly no longer operated by the railway company, the crews don’t necessarily stay there.) Think Château Frontenac in Québec City, the one that inspired the Disney castle logo. Château Laurier in Ottawa is also a railway hotel, and it, along with the old Ottawa railway station, forms the current temporary location for the Senate while Parliament Hill is undergoing renovations until 2023. The acoustics there are good, I'm told.

View attachment 318104
An admittedly unflattering angle of the Château Frontenac, Québec City. Rates start at $400 AUD per night

I'll try to make this less of the monologue my other trip reports are. I'll talk a bit about VIA Rail and its loyalty program since I kind of think I enjoyed the end of an era with the now-axed rail passes, but otherwise it'll be mainly picture-based with some random facts and won't be in chronological order. I hope you enjoy reading this and that it gives you some new destinations to think about the next time you visit Canada. And forgive me if most of the photos turn out as dreary as this - I blame the climate:

View attachment 318105

Just stumbled on this TR. Looks good!

National legend and folk singer Gordon Lightfoot died recently. In the 60s through to the 90s he was a staple in Canadian households with his simple, slightly melancholic sound and songs that told stories about infidelity, nature, and shipwrecks. His most well-known songs are probably ‘The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald’ and ‘Sundown’, but the one I’m listening to now as I write this is ‘Canadian Railroad Trilogy’. It was commissioned by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (which was the successor of the network of radio stations that Canadian National ran for its employees) and tells about the romanticism and economic rationale for building the railroad, but also about the travails of the workers, and it speeds up after the start and slows down before the end, kind of like a train on its journey.

The Canadian

There’s no continuous cross-country train service. Vancouver connects to Toronto, Toronto to Montreal, and Montreal to Halifax. The Vancouver-Toronto line is called the Canadian and the whole trip takes four days. I did it in economy class.

The old-style rail cars are used, each named after some prominent person/executive in VIA’s history. I was told by one car attendant that the windows are bulletproof. The other attendants I talked to could not corroborate this and no one shot at us for me to find out.

7_1.jpg

The segment from Toronto to Winnipeg takes us through the Canadian Shield, with its boreal forests, muskeg (swamps), and limestone hills.

Winnipeg, the capital of Manitoba, is the base of VIA Rail operations and connects the east to the west. It is where rail crews who work the Vancouver-Toronto and Winnipeg-Churchill routes live.

20220509_205524.jpg

Union Station is located in The Forks, so named because it’s where the Red River meets the Assiniboine River. This made it a good location for fur traders as they could easily have furs transported here, and was the reason the railroad came here several decades later. French traders came to Manitoba first and mixed with Native American women to form what is now recognised as a distinct ethnic group, the Métis.

Then the British came, Manitoba was ceded to Hudson’s Bay Company after the Seven Years’ War, and then the Canadian government bought the land and made it a province. A Métis rebellion led by Louis Riel failed, but he did manage to negotiate conditions for Manitoba entering the Confederation and is considered the father of Manitoba. He fled to the US after the rebellion, but returned to Canada to help the Métis in Saskatchewan with another rebellion – this time he was caught, tried (many would argue unfairly), and executed for treason.

His execution has caused a lasting divide in Anglo-French relations in the country. He has been upheld as a model in Quebec independence movements, including by the terrorist organisation Front de Libération du Québec.

riel.jpg
Another cultural landmark in Winnipeg/Saint-Boniface (the French side of the city) is the childhood home of Gabrielle Roy. While she's best known as the author of The Tin Flute, a novel about working-class Montrealers in WWII that gave rise to a nascent understanding of Quebec national identity, many forget that she was from Manitoba and that her formative experiences were from Saint-Boniface and teaching in northern Manitoba.

From Winnipeg onwards the landscape gradually flattens out into the badlands of eastern Saskatchewan, where you’ll occasionally see carcasses of tractors and deer.

20220412_101623.jpg
Saskatchewan is the wheat basket of Canada, with a large proportion of its population (which is less than that of Adelaide’s) engaged in the agriculture industry. The Saskatchewan Wheat Pool was a farmers’ cooperative that bargained for a fair price for wheat and handled its collection and shipping. Every couple of kilometres along the railway line, wooden grain elevators were built where the wheat would be stored for when the freight train came to pick it up. A few can be seen along the way.

20220412_121659.jpg

These wooden grain elevators used to be centrepieces of their towns but are now fast-disappearing symbols of the traditional way of life that had built the province.

The train stops in Saskatoon. The city feels a bit like a country town. It has a Western Development Museum that describes the history of Saskatchewan and has some preserved train models and the world's largest collection of tractors.

20220511_174804.jpg
The Broadway Bridge over the South Saskatchewan River, with the château-style Delta Bessborough hotel visible. This was one of CN's last grand railway hotels. Before Winnipeg, Saskatoon was the main hub city for passenger and freight transport between the east and the west.

I took the bus down to Regina to visit the Royal Saskatchewan Museum, which has the world's largest T-rex skeleton, Scotty.

20220517_164606.jpg

On the border between Saskatchewan and Alberta is a town called Lloydminster that is split in half by the border, which is marked by these red poles.

20220515_144854.jpg
Because Alberta's legal drinking age is 18 and Saskatchewan's is 19, if you're an 18-year-old from Lloydminster you would only be able to get booze in one half of the town.

Eastern Alberta is also prairie land but halfway through the plains give way to mountains and soon we arrive at Jasper. The Canadian stops here for about two hours so you can get off and wander around town.
20220413_112155.jpg
The Canadian actually does not pass much through the Rockies - there is another train from Jasper to St Rupert that is much more scenic.

Then, soon after crossing over into British Columbia, hills, forests, and lakes become features of the landscape.

20220413_211056.jpg

-
I think taking the Canadian the whole way is an essential part of seeing Canada, but better in sleeper class or only once in economy. If in economy I would recommend sleeping in dome car as there are fewer people around and you can awaken with the sunrise. (In economy on the Montreal-Halifax line you can sleep in the diner car where there are benches, but I don't think we were given access to the diner car on the Canadian.)

There is a 'guide' who will give you a few facts about some places along the way, but it's not a hop-on-hop-off service - if you want to stop along the way, you'll have to wait three days for the next train. There is no wi-fi onboard and it's often hard to get connection with cellular data. Meals are included in sleeper class while light meals like sandwiches/wraps/burgers can be purchased in economy.

Sleeper passengers have access to showers, economy don't, but the train stops for about four hours in Winnipeg and one could find a place to shower or take a dip in the river with the beavers. One of my fellow passengers said he’d taken his first hot shower in 10 years in Toronto before boarding. He normally lived in the forest on Vancouver Island, sleeping in a hammock and bathing in the lakes.

I am planning a cross Canada trip in October for 6 weeks, will start in Vancouver and hope to do the Rocky Mountaineer, maybe hire a car as well for BC and Alberta...and then generally head East, but I cant find much info on what to do between Calgary and Torronto. I will be by myself and dont mind the remote areas but am usually driving a car...like you I agree you cant see a country without going across it.
I expect it will start snowing and I dont want to be driving on icy roads, even IF I can find an affordable one way hire car, so I will probably end up on the train across at some point.
I am not sure about 4 days straight on the train but. I was thinking of getting off at Saskatoon and Winnipeg at least...wasnt aware it would be for 3 days but!
If it turns too snowy I will bail out and head back to the USA...but I hope to get right across to Nova Scotia etc and then down into New York that way.
Thanks for the info.

We travelled the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver about 5 years ago and enjoyed it a lot. It was during winter and -15C in Winnipeg but we enjoyed the tour of the city. We travelled sleeper and found the meals on a a par with the Indian Pacific.

@jastel I hope kileskus doesn't mind a small diversion (if you want more info/follow-up, maybe start a new thread on Destination Guides or somewhere), or PM me.

Def hire a car between Vancouver and Calgary - Kamloops (there isn't much before this), Salmon Arm, Revelstoke, Golden, Lake Louise - diversion up Highway 93 to Saskatchewan Crossing and back - Banff, Calgary. The Rocky Mountaineer tends to keep low in the valleys compared to the highways and of course you get the flexibility of stopping and exploring where you want.

Then the train to Winnipeg. Then, my own choice would be (and has been) Winnipeg to Toronto by car, via the USA, south of the Great Lakes. Time-wise its about the same as going north of the lakes, but so much more varied and interesting (I have a limit on the amount of pine forest I need to see :(). You would still have seen more of Canada than most Canadians!

Winnipeg - Churchill

Churchill is a sub-arctic town in northern Manitoba that has been dubbed the polar bear capital of the world. It's best to visit from late September to November if you want to see the bears. I could only go in May so I don't have pictures of bears or even of the northern lights, which are typically a daily spectacle in Churchill but I happened to catch some overcast days.

The trip takes two days. The train was nearly empty. Only myself and three other passengers went all the way to Churchill. One of them was a piano tuner who worked across the province, another was a National Geographic photographer going to catch the northern lights.

The train stops briefly at Dauphin, which is apparently the most beautiful station in Manitoba. There's also a rail museum there, but we didn't stop long enough for me to visit.
20220503_170102.jpg
This train is the only land route to and out of Churchill, and also the only land route for many of the towns and villages along the way - as there are no roads they use this train and snowmobiles for travel.

20220504_113531.jpg
Thicket Portage, a community of population 109, was one of the main stops and I feel like half the population and all their rowdy little kids got on. They were going to Thompson - the largest town in northern Manitoba and a few hours away - to do their weekly grocery shopping and then would return home on the next train back. More than half the population in northern Manitoba are Indigenous, and the unemployment rate is high. The lack of tourism from COVID didn't help, so they're pretty keen to welcome visitors to Churchill right now. The University of Manitoba's faculty of social work is based in Thompson.

20220504_202226.jpg

The rail station houses Parks Canada's visitor centre. Because of COVID admittance is by booking only. I was probably too late to book a visit but I met another tourist who had made an appointment in advance and she invited me along. She was a bear researcher who was investigating the presence of grizzly bears in the region. Grizzlies were eliminated from Manitoba over a century ago, but have been increasingly spotted in northern Manitoba where they are disrupting the ecosystem, as they have no competitors, and are eating polar bear cubs.
The visitor centre goes through the history of Churchill and the Hudson Bay area, and has some animal pelts that you can touch. Beavers are much softer than they appear.

We're welcomed to Churchill by an inuksuk and a statue of a polar bear.
20220505_092301.jpg

I booked a room at the Iceberg Inn. The room was cosy and the proprietor is very friendly and helpful, I'd recommend if you're planning on visiting as there are pretty limited accommodation options. You can also do learning vacation at the Churchill Northern Studies Centre, which covers accommodation and takes you on tours to see the northern lights, polar bears, and beluga whales.

20220506_130505.jpg
The local weather station

20220505_104434.jpg
Hudson Bay, frozen over. During polar bear season it is not advised to walk around the bay. Polar bears will usually leave you alone, but if they've had a bad summer hunting season, then you could be on the menu. There are guided tours and some guides are also polar bear monitors, which means they are trained to 'stare down' the bears. In town residents leave their house doors unlocked so you could have somewhere to shelter should a bear come after you.

A little way out of town is the polar bear holding facility, colloquially called the polar bear jail where bears who make it into town are caught and put into for a few days to deter them from returning.

20220507_102506.jpg

20220507_102535.jpg

There's also the wreck of a Curtiss C-46 Commando, which was used as a transport plane for the US military in WWII. This plane was called Miss Piggy and she crashed near Churchill from overloading and the wreckage has been left there.

20220507_101011.jpg
You can climb inside and have a look.

I also went to the post office and got a passport stamp, which was put on the page dedicated to Canada's north.
20230612_183404.jpg
The lady working at the post office was from the Philippines and had moved here with her late husband for his work. She stayed because Churchill is a lovely place, but she plans to leave upon retirement due to the high cost living. From eyeballing the store shelves it looked like items in Churchill are at least 20% more expensive than what I was used to in Montreal.

-
If you're thinking of visiting Churchill, I would recommend coming in polar bear season (obviously) and staying for at least three days. There's a lot to do here, northern lights, polar bears, beluga whales, dog sledding, as well as the Inuit museum and the Parks Canada centre. Westjet and some smaller northern airlines offer service to Churchill if the rail timetable doesn't suit.

Yes I found Churchill, I will be there in Polar Bear season but all trains booked out on several dummy bookings I tried. Planes are $2000 or so from Winnipeg, the Polar Bear tour is $500 and Hotels were almost full. I have seen the lights and a Polar Bear in a zoo so I have let it go for now....seems to be all booked out by $10000 tour packages.

@jastel I hope kileskus doesn't mind a small diversion (if you want more info/follow-up, maybe start a new thread on Destination Guides or somewhere), or PM me.

Def hire a car between Vancouver and Calgary - Kamloops (there isn't much before this), Salmon Arm, Revelstoke, Golden, Lake Louise - diversion up Highway 93 to Saskatchewan Crossing and back - Banff, Calgary. The Rocky Mountaineer tends to keep low in the valleys compared to the highways and of course you get the flexibility of stopping and exploring where you want.

Then the train to Winnipeg. Then, my own choice would be (and has been) Winnipeg to Toronto by car, via the USA, south of the Great Lakes. Time-wise its about the same as going north of the lakes, but so much more varied and interesting (I have a limit on the amount of pine forest I need to see :(). You would still have seen more of Canada than most Canadians!
Yes I think I read your trip report...have seen a bit of northern USA so wanted Canada in this trip but if I get snowed up I will head south.

I am planning a cross Canada trip in October for 6 weeks, will start in Vancouver and hope to do the Rocky Mountaineer, maybe hire a car as well for BC and Alberta...and then generally head East, but I cant find much info on what to do between Calgary and Torronto. I will be by myself and dont mind the remote areas but am usually driving a car...like you I agree you cant see a country without going across it.
I expect it will start snowing and I dont want to be driving on icy roads, even IF I can find an affordable one way hire car, so I will probably end up on the train across at some point.
I am not sure about 4 days straight on the train but. I was thinking of getting off at Saskatoon and Winnipeg at least...wasnt aware it would be for 3 days but!
If it turns too snowy I will bail out and head back to the USA...but I hope to get right across to Nova Scotia etc and then down into New York that way.
Thanks for the info.
RooFlyer seems to know a lot more than me about western Canada so I would go with what he says. I would also recommend train to Winnipeg, but you have to go to Edmonton from Calgary first. Edmonton is the gateway to northern Alberta and BC and the Peace River region, which is very beautiful but difficult to traverse in winter, so you could try to visit there or just head to Saskatoon from Edmonton. Three days in Saskatoon is probably overkill but you could drive down to Regina or visit some surrounding towns like North Battleford.

I'm a little mixed on Winnipeg to Toronto. I did like the scenery on the train, it was kind of quintessential Canadian scenery, but that said I haven't done that trip any other way so can't comment on driving south.

I like the idea of driving but practically due to the lateness of the trip I'm sure it will be snowy and I'll be on the train...everyone says you need 2 trips to see Canada in summer and winter.
I had found out about no trains in Calgary...seems silly but...

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I had found out about no trains in Calgary...seems silly but...

Very large freight lines though (rumble right through the edge of the centre of the city!).

I think you may be a little pessimistic about the snowfall & road conditions in October, although its a big expanse!! Leaves will be turning then, though and it will be very pretty, especially in the east. They keep the Trans Canada pretty well ploughed; I did a lot of driving in the west even through to December. Also, there are some very good web resources on traffic conditions, with live webcams; the ones in the west I used were BC: DriveBC Road Conditions and Events and Alberta: 511 Alberta

Again, apologies to kileskus for the diversion.

Did the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive one year to see the Fall leaves...one week after Hurricane Sandy hit...saw 500miles of sticks and twigs...lower Manhattan New York was underwater...certainly a different view to what I was expecting. You wont stop the weather doing what its gonna do hence why I am a bit hesitant to lock something in for past Calgary this faraway.

Good to know about the roads Roo, maybe I have been watching too much Ice Road Truckers.

And yes, sorry Kileskus, please post some more!

Winnipeg - Churchill

Churchill is a sub-arctic town in northern Manitoba that has been dubbed the polar bear capital of the world. It's best to visit from late September to November if you want to see the bears. I could only go in May so I don't have pictures of bears or even of the northern lights, which are typically a daily spectacle in Churchill but I happened to catch some overcast days.

The trip takes two days. The train was nearly empty. Only myself and three other passengers went all the way to Churchill. One of them was a piano tuner who worked across the province, another was a National Geographic photographer going to catch the northern lights.

The train stops briefly at Dauphin, which is apparently the most beautiful station in Manitoba. There's also a rail museum there, but we didn't stop long enough for me to visit.
View attachment 333449
This train is the only land route to and out of Churchill, and also the only land route for many of the towns and villages along the way - as there are no roads they use this train and snowmobiles for travel.

View attachment 333451
Thicket Portage, a community of population 109, was one of the main stops and I feel like half the population and all their rowdy little kids got on. They were going to Thompson - the largest town in northern Manitoba and a few hours away - to do their weekly grocery shopping and then would return home on the next train back. More than half the population in northern Manitoba are Indigenous, and the unemployment rate is high. The lack of tourism from COVID didn't help, so they're pretty keen to welcome visitors to Churchill right now. The University of Manitoba's faculty of social work is based in Thompson.

View attachment 333452

The rail station houses Parks Canada's visitor centre. Because of COVID admittance is by booking only. I was probably too late to book a visit but I met another tourist who had made an appointment in advance and she invited me along. She was a bear researcher who was investigating the presence of grizzly bears in the region. Grizzlies were eliminated from Manitoba over a century ago, but have been increasingly spotted in northern Manitoba where they are disrupting the ecosystem, as they have no competitors, and are eating polar bear cubs.
The visitor centre goes through the history of Churchill and the Hudson Bay area, and has some animal pelts that you can touch. Beavers are much softer than they appear.

We're welcomed to Churchill by an inuksuk and a statue of a polar bear.
View attachment 333455

I booked a room at the Iceberg Inn. The room was cosy and the proprietor is very friendly and helpful, I'd recommend if you're planning on visiting as there are pretty limited accommodation options. You can also do learning vacation at the Churchill Northern Studies Centre, which covers accommodation and takes you on tours to see the northern lights, polar bears, and beluga whales.

View attachment 333457
The local weather station

View attachment 333459
Hudson Bay, frozen over. During polar bear season it is not advised to walk around the bay. Polar bears will usually leave you alone, but if they've had a bad summer hunting season, then you could be on the menu. There are guided tours and some guides are also polar bear monitors, which means they are trained to 'stare down' the bears. In town residents leave their house doors unlocked so you could have somewhere to shelter should a bear come after you.
And on the Griff Rhys Jones program that went to Churchill no one locks their cars for the same reason. If you need to get out of the way of a bear you can hop in a car
View attachment 333460

View attachment 333462
You can climb inside and have a look.

I also went to the post office and got a passport stamp, which was put on the page dedicated to Canada's north.

Back