A back up points earner to AMEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith009

Established Member
Hi everyone,

As much as I love AMEX, I am getting increasingly frustrated at the lower functionality of AMEX compared to VISA and MasterCard. I have several large bills in the coming months that can't be paid with AMEX and I hate to see all those points going down the drain. :(

Currently I have an AMEX Platinum credit card, and a NAB Gold Visa Debit (very handy for OS ATM withdrawals - fee free!). I would like to pay everything I currently use the Visa Debit for with a secondary credit card. Ideally this secondary account would also stop me from being tempted into paying silly surcharges when merchants charge extra for AMEX. I'd also pay off the bill in full every month like I currently do with the AMEX.

Ideally I'm looking for a card with the following features:
- 1:1 QFF transfer ratio, to enable me to top up my QFF points balance for flight upgrades (since i can't do MR to QFF on the AMEX); a partner other than QFF would be a bonus but not necessary since MR points can be used on quite a few airlines

- Lowish annual fee (not more than $250), preferably one that's possible to waive in future

- Frequently offers good promos

- Good, efficient service

I was thinking that the Commonwealth and Citibank Platinum cards seem decent value, especially as you get the concierge service at a fraction to the cost of an AMEX Platinum charge card. I'm not expecting the CBA/Citi concierges to be as resourceful though!

I have a savings account and a few large term deposits (including one that holds a deposit guarantee) with Commonwealth, so they "know" me and should approve a useful credit limit. The companion air fare deal sounds attractive though it remains to be seen what kind of fare bucket the tickets book into (ie not much of a deal if full fare). The annual fee is also lower at $200. I already have a transactions account with them (though i don't really use it) with the monthly fee waived given my combined balances with them qualify for the Waiver and the rep at my local branch keeps pushing their cards under my nose - what's the chance that they might offer to waive CC annual fees too hey? :p (hahaha)

OTOH I also read of special fee-free offers thrown out by Citibank from time to time, and I'd also have the option of transferring Citibank points to SQ. I'm however wary of the service levels at the offshore call centre, going by the horror stories on here and the frustrations expressed by the other half who has an account with them. The annual fee is also a bit higher, for seemingly lower levels of service?

I also considered the Westpac SQ Platinum and almost applied for it, but decided not to at the last minute as I can already convert MR points to SQ and want something that can top up my QFF points balance.

So I was hoping to hear what everyone else thinks. :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
getting Qff 1:1 is going to be the sticking point.

I am using Westpac Krisflyer for visa 1:$1, Amex 3:$1 for SQ pts. I've transferred all of transferred my spend onto those cards until the end of the intro triple Amex of offer.

I'm doing sums at the. Moment on paying some of the Amex merchant transactions while the intro rate accelerator is in place.

Given your relationship with CBA their Platinum card might be a good option for you as it earns 1:1 for QFF points and the point don't appear to have a monthly cap. I am currently using ANZ QFF Platinum for non Amex spends although there is a monthly cap on points. This usually isn't too much of a problem, as it is only used for bills/services that can't be paid for on Amex, but I have had some larger purchases this year, and have lost points due to the cap. :evil: It might be worth swapping the CBA Platinum, or at least upgrading from the Gold I have (but don't use, due to not being 1:1).

Hi everyone,

- Frequently offers good promos

This is the deal breaker.

As far as I am aware Amex is the only CC that frequently (at least once a year) offers a promo which makes a sisgnificant impact on ones points earn (I have quessed that is what you mean as a "good promo" ???).

Even though Westpac KF is currently my card of choice, this "promor" reason is one reason I will hang onto to my Amex for the time being. Even ignoring the magnificent mistake promo (The Everday) the Amex has been quite generous since I took it out just over two years ago.

Other cards often have good sign-on bonii...but little beyond that.

Yes I am hanging on to my AMEX which will continue to be my main credit account whenever possible. However there's a not insignificant amount of transactions that I still have to get a VI/MC for.

Other cards often have good sign-on bonii...but little beyond that.

Yeah by good promos I meant those of the AMEX variety. Seeing that other cards don't do such things that's one factor out of the equation.

High levels of service and support are also v important for me, and on the basis of overwhelmingly negative reports of Citibank's offshore call centre I'm rather wary. Do Platinums get an Australian call centre? I banked with HSBC in a past life and their shoddy customer service rendered by the offshore call centre was why I finally canned my bank accounts with them. Never wish to go there again.... Dealing with the BMI ICC by itself is quite enough. :shock::D

Think I'm leaning towards Commonwealth Platinum now... unfortunately their current 4.99% purchase rate promo does nothing for me as I do not intend to accrue interest. I might just wait for a couple of weeks to see if they come up with bonus points or fee discounts. :p I also read on another thread in the CBA forum that I can ring up to get a Visa rather than Mastercard? The concierge service provided by Visa is meant to be better than the CBA inhouse one (MC doesn't have its own concierge IIRC).

Last edited:
As far as I am aware Amex is the only CC that frequently (at least once a year) offers a promo which makes a sisgnificant impact on ones points earn (I have quessed that is what you mean as a "good promo" ???).
I would not be relying on Amex having any regular (even annually) promo that you will actually be targeted to join. Expect that all future Amex promotions will be tightly targeted to groups that meet the marketing campaign objectives. I have not been directly targeted for any worthwhile Amex promotions in the past. The only ones I have been directly targeted for have been useless to me.

Consider getting the ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa card. I use it for the exact purpose you're looking for - a supplementary card to my AmEx, for when AmEx is difficult or expensive to use.

On the positive side you get good customer service when you need it (I think the longest I've waited to speak to someone is maybe 2 minutes), on the negative side there are monthly points caps to keep a track of - but I never spend enough on the card to actually hit the points cap anyway.

on the negative side there are monthly points caps to keep a track of - but I never spend enough on the card to actually hit the points cap anyway.

That's a good point. My problem is that the bills aren't spread out monthly but come in fits and spurts. Even with the Platinum the 1:1 to QFF ratio is capped at $2500/month and no points at all after $10k so I'd lose quite a bit of value each time I pay. So it'd work out better if the points capping was annually rather than monthly. However yes I agree that ANZ phone service in general is probably the best of the lot that I've dealt with (only big 4 I've yet to touch is Westpac).

I would not be relying on Amex having any regular (even annually) promo that you will actually be targeted to join. .

I agree...and I don't.

As an avid Points Runner I have my fingers in many Pies.

Preferably free or discounted ones. Key is magnifting my points earn.

Amex has always been fee free for me. So has been great to hold.

However yes they are not the only game in town.

Expect that all future Amex promotions will be tightly targeted to groups that meet the marketing campaign objectives. I have not been directly targeted for any worthwhile Amex promotions in the past. The only ones I have been directly targeted for have been useless to me.

Again I agree.

But so far I have been targetted for most of their promos.

I have my theories on this and engineer my spend deliberately to encourage my being targetted. ie I make myself "attractive". Maybe I am lucky...or maybe I am right...or at least part right.;)

Consider getting the ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa card. I use it for the exact purpose you're looking for - a supplementary card to my AmEx, for when AmEx is difficult or expensive to use.

On the positive side you get good customer service when you need it (I think the longest I've waited to speak to someone is maybe 2 minutes), on the negative side there are monthly points caps to keep a track of - but I never spend enough on the card to actually hit the points cap anyway.

I spoke to some of my billers today to discuss my situation and they mentioned that they'll allow the bills to be paid in several installments (funny how it's not mentioned anywhere on the bills). Meaning the basic or Gold ANZ FF card might suit my needs after all, given that when split the bills are well below the points cap. The lower monthly fee AND 1:1 ratio makes it interesting, compared to other credit cards where I'd have to pay for the top tier card to get 1:1 QFF. I thought it wasn't worth it paying the fee for the CBA Platinum (cheap as a Platinum card as it is - unless their fee free offer comes around again) given my total yearly spend will be rather low on a non-Amex.

Cheers guys. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back