RooFlyer

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Star Alliance
Silver
I just used my 28 Degrees card on-line for an o/s purchase.

Immediately got an SMS from "28 Degrees Fraud" saying there had been 3 transactions on the card, totalling about double the authorised amount. SMS back 1 for OK, 2 for not. I hit 2 and immediately called them.

Turns out that the 3 transactions with the large total were three legitimate ones I did over the past week, including today. Two had been confirmed by the merchant, the other - the one I just did - was still pending. As it happens, these three transactions do not add up to the amount in the text. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, when I went in to check the account, I noticed NOT INCLUDED in the total they reported to me were two transactions of about $1.38 - US$1.00 - which is the classic sign of a fraudster 'pinging' the account to see if its an open account. These were transacted in-between the first 2 - a week ago - and today's transaction and do not add in to the total in the SMS.

So, good one, 28 Degrees - you flag possible fraud by totalling up 3 transactions over the past week, and then get the figure wrong. Then you ignore the actual fraudulent (or pre-fraudulent) ones.

Freak'n useless. :mad:

I just used my 28 Degrees card on-line for an o/s purchase.

Immediately got an SMS from "28 Degrees Fraud" saying there had been 3 transactions on the card, totalling about double the authorised amount. SMS back 1 for OK, 2 for not. I hit 2 and immediately called them.

Turns out that the 3 transactions with the large total were three legitimate ones I did over the past week, including today. Two had been confirmed by the merchant, the other - the one I just did - was still pending. As it happens, these three transactions do not add up to the amount in the text. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, when I went in to check the account, I noticed NOT INCLUDED in the total they reported to me were two transactions of about $1.38 - US$1.00 - which is the classic sign of a fraudster 'pinging' the account to see if its an open account. These were transacted in-between the first 2 - a week ago - and today's transaction and do not add in to the total in the SMS.

So, good one, 28 Degrees - you flag possible fraud by totalling up 3 transactions over the past week, and then get the figure wrong. Then you ignore the actual fraudulent (or pre-fraudulent) ones.

Freak'n useless. :mad:

I hear Ya. I was receiving texts at 4am and for amounts that had been converted to AUD when I had just done some USD transactions a few days prior. Of course I couldn’t call their number until the morning so I just stewed for a bit. Called them and they said they couldn’t tell me the original USD amount and nor the merchant. I told them what a waste of time it was and not to text me at 4am ever again. I got rid of the card. It was eventually compromised but not this time and they detected that themselves and didn’t ask me to verify and they just called to cancel the card.

I received a SMS from 28 Degrees last night wanting me to enter a six digit code to authorise a purchase of over $2000! When I logged in, I saw that there were two pending transactions, one for $7 and another for $2170. Phoned 28 Degrees to check what they were for and was told for a Telco and the other for Vet fees! They could not tell me where the purchases originated from nor the name of the businesses.

I cancelled the card and was told to get back to them when the business names show so that they can investigate, however, I cannot see any of my card details now that the card has been cancelled. I will have to wait until I receive my new card. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back