10 MR Points per $ for Hotel Bookings through Kaligo-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spizz

Just thought I'd post this in its own thread so more people are aware. With HotelClub gone from earning 10 points per $ it is now possible to do the same with Kaligo.com. Here is a message from Kaligo-

Dear Spizz,Thank you for your email.
We have recently launched a partnership with American Express Australia, wherein if you pay using your Amex card issued in Australia, you will earn 10x Membership Rewards Points per 1 AUD spent. As this is a new partner that we have, it cannot be combined with our promotions with our other airline partners. If you wish to earn with any of our Airline Partners, you may do so by using an alternative credit card to book instead.
Thank you for your kind understanding and please feel free to let me know again if I can be of further assistance.

Always double check pricing with Wego.com, Trivago.com, HotelsCombined.com and the various 10%,15%,20% off coupons as I have found for overseas bookings it works out much cheaper booking elsewhere even when you factor in the points you earn. For Australian bookings I did one today where it was much closer. So YMMV.

As an aside looks like you can earn Commonwealth Bank points from Kaligo (for QF transfers I guess).

Just thought I'd post this in its own thread so more people are aware. With HotelClub gone from earning 10 points per $ it is now possible to do the same with Kaligo.com. Here is a message from Kaligo-

[/FONT][/I][/COLOR]Always double check pricing with Wego.com, Trivago.com, HotelsCombined.com and the various 10%,15%,20% off coupons as I have found for overseas bookings it works out much cheaper booking elsewhere even when you factor in the points you earn. For Australian bookings I did one today where it was much closer. So YMMV.

As an aside looks like you can earn Commonwealth Bank points from Kaligo (for QF transfers I guess).

Where do you typically find those discount coupons?

They don't seem to list Amex as a reward partner

Is it something where Amex provide the bonus points? If the cost of the extra points is < 2c it's not a bad way to boost points

They don't seem to list Amex as a reward partner

Is it something where Amex provide the bonus points? If the cost of the extra points is < 2c it's not a bad way to boost points

It comes up when you enter your Amex Card number (I'm assuming it is Amex that provides the points). It's 10 points per $1. I agree with you in regards to the cost of the extra points as <2c is my cut off to.

Last edited:
some info from kaligo

Hi

I was reading on a forum that you now have a partnership with American Express in Australia where you can earn 10 points per $ spent.

How would i set up my account to ear the Amex MR points?

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your email.

We do have a partnership with American Express Australia that card holders can now take advantage of. We have not formally announce the partnership yet as marketing is still in the final stages. However if you use your American Express Card issued in Australia on Kaligo, you will be eligible to earn 10X MR Points per every 1AUD spend. This will be valid for all MR earning credit cards. There is no dedicated promo page for this and you just need to enter your Amex Card number upon check-out and you will be prompted of the number of MR Points that you will be receiving.

Since this is a new partnership, this cannot be combined with any of our airline partners earning miles or promotions.
Hope this clarifies and should you require further assistance, please let me know.

Pia Tarrayo
Senior Manager, Customer Experience
Kaligo.com

A forum member received their points from this promotion back in late September, so it seems this has been available for a while now.

Example of where Kaligo is more expensive (Same Dates, Same Room Type).

- Bellagio Las Vegas 5 nights via Kaligo- $3402 (Doesn't mention if Resort Fee is included)
- Bellagio Las Vegas 5 nights via RTG- $2062.97 (Less CashBackRewards of $179.71) = $1883.26 add Resort Fee of $179.20USD ($257.30 AUD) Grand Total- $2140.56 AUD

34000 MR Points for the extra $1261 AUD is not even remotely worth it.

However another booking I did a recent booking at the Crown in Melbourne via Kaligo where it was around $33 more expensive but factoring in the 5130 MR points I would receive it was worth paying the $33 extra. YMMV.

Last edited:
34000 MR Points for the extra $1261 AUD is not even remotely worth it.

However another booking I did a recent booking at the Crown in Melbourne via Kaligo where it was around $33 more expensive but factoring in the 5130 MR points I would receive it was worth paying the $33 extra. YMMV.

A couple of bookings I've looked at were def not worth the extra points, but some others have been working out at 1c a point which I'd happily pay.

I'm wondering if the points post in the next 4 weeks (on booking screen) or if it's like the email from the booking that says up to 8 weeks after your stay?

From Kaligo about how long it will take for MR points to be credited

Please note that the MR points will be shown in your statement on the month of your Kaligo Charge within 4 to 6 weeks depending on the bank. For example, if you book on 1 November, in around December you will receive the MR points but it will be shown in your November Statement.

Just looking at booking a hotel in Singapore for next year where the cost of 4800 points is about $20 extra over the best rate I've been able to find. I'll happily pay less than half a cent for a MR point.

Will see if it's a normal time frame but bonus points from booking made on 17 Nov just posted today.

Tax deductibility also worth factoring in when doing the cent per mile calculation

This can be good!

So far this week:

-Aloft (SPG) in BKK for next month for a couple of dollars less than the Starwood site direct. Easy 2000 points that came through on Amex next day.
-Sokha Angkor Resort in Siem Reap for $10 p/n better than booking.com or directly with hotel. Easy 4000 points, again came through within a day or so.
- Not so lucky with Grand Hotel Saigon - Kaligo is $100 p/n dearer :-(

This can be good!

So far this week:

-Aloft (SPG) in BKK for next month for a couple of dollars less than the Starwood site direct. Easy 2000 points that came through on Amex next day.
-Sokha Angkor Resort in Siem Reap for $10 p/n better than booking.com or directly with hotel. Easy 4000 points, again came through within a day or so.
- Not so lucky with Grand Hotel Saigon - Kaligo is $100 p/n dearer :-(

Did you get any SPG status benefits at the Aloft (if you have status)?

I'm new to Kaligo, so was wondering if anyone could confirm that you can earn AA miles and Alaska at the same rate?
I'm looking to make a 5 day booking and it comes up as showing just over 10,000 miles. Now I presume I can convert these Kaligo miles to either AA or Alaska at 1:1?
If so, I'm feeling for me it might be more valuable than MR points.

They dont come as kaligo miles as such. At booking you need to decide which miles you take. Can vary depending on whether there is an offer on with each partner.

I'm new to Kaligo, so was wondering if anyone could confirm that you can earn AA miles and Alaska at the same rate?
I'm looking to make a 5 day booking and it comes up as showing just over 10,000 miles. Now I presume I can convert these Kaligo miles to either AA or Alaska at 1:1?
If so, I'm feeling for me it might be more valuable than MR points.

You would need to select the option of Alaskan Miles or AA miles earn.

If you use an Amex card that earns MR points then you will be told to use another card if you wish to earn another kind of miles through kaligo.

The main benefit of the MR route is you have the points within a few days. Airlines points post up to 8 weeks after your stay.

In your case you want miles with airlines that aren't partnered Amex in Australia. For my bookings I was able to get 10K MR points where the earn for krisflyer points was around the 1K mark.

Quite happy to be able to boost my points for some SQ J / F goodness :)

Good to know about the time period of points posting. It's a tough one. - We have a stash of velocity points and also a stash of alaskan points. IMO 1 Alaskan point is worth a lot more to me than 1 velocity point. I know I can also convert my MR & velocity to KF points. The value comparison between KF & alaskan points becomes more difficult. I guess MR points do offer flexibility?
Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the help anyhow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back