Downgrading from Centurion to Platinum

bluemelbs

Hi AFF Community,

I've been an Amex card holder for 20 years - and currently hold a Centurion card.

In that time, I have seen the gradual decline of service and benefits. I asked my RM what are the differences between Plat ($1.45k) pa and Cent ($6.5kpa) and was told the following:

Centurion
Dedicated Centurion Relationship Manager
Access to Assistance 24/7
By Invitation Only Events
Centurion Only Events
Exclusive access to restaurant/events/concerts
Complimentary Partnerships with Hotels Memberships
IAP Fares
Enroute Benefits
Exclusive Lounge Access
Cruise Line partnership benefits
Blacklane Centurion benefit
Langtons Centurion Benefit
+++ Many More

Platinum
$450 Travel Credit per year
$200 Intl +Dom Dining Credit per year
Dedicated 24/7 Travel team
Priority Pass Lounge Access
Amazon Prime Benefit
Langtons Platinum Benefit
Complimentary Partnerships with Hotels Memberships
Full benefits can be found here -
American Express

Please note, if you choose to apply to Centurion again, you will have to go through the Expression of Interest channels and will be required to pay the Joining and Annual Fee upfront.

I can categorically say the 'Centurion Only' and 'Invitation Only' events are expensive - and cheaper just to buy the experience yourself.

What exactly are the difference that the $5k per annum get you? Now that everyone pays everything using contactless the phone - even the slight wank factor of the titanium card is irrelevant.

I feel I am missing something - why doesn't everyone downgrade to Platinum? Amex are clearly a successful company - I'm sure there is something I am missing.

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers,
BM

I feel I am missing something - why doesn't everyone downgrade to Platinum?

One of the key things missing in your list is earn rate. The Platinum earns 2.25 MR per dollar, and I believe the Centurion earns 2.5 MR per dollar. If you're pushing millions of dollars through the card each year that additional 0.25 MR per dollar adds up, and for some, that alone makes the Centurion worth the fee.

There's also some benefits missing in your list around status (Hilton Diamond instead of Gold, Emirates Gold, possibly others) and Qantas Club membership from what I've read.

I don't know what strings the Centurion concierge is really capable of pulling - but based on my experience with the Platinum concierge I can't imagine it's anything like the rumours and folk tales from years past.

IAP is also available on Platinum by the way, but I'm not sure whether Centurion gets different/deeper discounts.

One of the key things missing in your list is earn rate. The Platinum earns 2.25 MR per dollar, and I believe the Centurion earns 2.5 MR per dollar. If you're pushing millions of dollars through the card each year, that additional 0.25 MR per dollar adds up, and for some that alone makes the Centurion worth the fee.

There's also some benefits missing in your list around status (Hilton Diamond instead of Gold, Emirates Gold, possibly others) and Qantas Club membership from what I've read.

I don't know what strings the Centurion concierge is really capable of pulling - but based on my experience with the Platinum concierge I can't imagine it's anything like the rumours and folk tales from years past.

Thanks Sudoer - I push around $50k a month through the card. Issue i'm facing now is using the points... I have 2m+ MR points, and as a family of 4 - we struggle to get 4 reward seats. Since the SQ devaluation - its even worse.

I normally book Business class seats anyway - as I imagine most Centurion holders do... so the airline status doesn't mean much.

Hilton Diamond has actually been an excellent perk - I've got close to 100% success rate for room upgrades. I will miss that.. but I think I might get that from VA Platinum status? I usually do a business class ticket to Fiji for 4 people - family pooling - which gives me platinum each year.

Centurion concierge pulls zero strings - and is frustratingly incompetent. I asked them to source a timepiece for my wife's birthday, they couldn't. I asked them to organise restaurants in Thailand - they couldn't. Simple google searches obtain much better outcomes than the concierge/RM. Also, they are only available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.... which is pretty useless. Outside of that, you are dealing with the Platinum team anyway (usually from the UK). I find the dedicated RM is actually a hinderance versus dealing with a team.

Please keep the ideas coming! I hope someone can tell me about any Centurion benefits they are receiving and finding valuable.

I've gotta say, I'm wondering the same. There is a "wank" factor to the card - even if we're no longer flashing it at the checkout as we all use mobile wallets.

For me, what keeps me renewing is the expectation that my "shadow" limit won't be as high with Platinum. I think I spend enough to make the points difference cover more than the extra $5K AF - having said that, with reasonably pedestrian point value assumptions, I calculate, you need to spend $1m before you get to breakeven on the AF.

This is a travel service. All the urban legends we hear about this card are just that. There is nothing other than some mystique to outsiders. Google is just as likely to have the solution to your problem. I made what I thought were not unreasonable requests during my last trip only a few weeks ago:
  • Source me my prescription medication which I didn't have enough of for the whole trip - declined as it was "medical advice."
  • Make representations to CX on my behalf to get my points back and compensation when they refused to honor ticketed award seats recently and I needed to buy new tickets if I wanted to get on that flight - even though they're by their own account - an extremely important and skillful travel agent, they weren't interested in making representations on my behalf - it's up to me - blaming "privacy" issues.
Are my expectations too high?

Everything else is much as has been reported elsewhere. I hear the Accor Platinum status benefits are honored - I can say that's likely correct. I hardly ever stay at Accor properties though. Hilton and Marriott (I'm Platinum, Centurion gets you to Gold) I don't think I've had any significant upgrades - if everyone staying has "status", they can't give us all an "upgrade".

You get Hilton Diamond easily by getting the US Amex Hilton Aspire card, US$450 fee with 1 free night certificate can be worth the $450 or more.

With the Centurion exclusive invites to events, can you name some events that you have been invited/ get invited on annual basis? I'm expecting a free tickets to Australia Open (for at least 4th round, QF or SF premium experience that includes ticket, food and beverage at one of those suites like Mastercard, Emirates, Rolex, etc.), Formula 1, etc.

As Myer Platinum for 2 years, I got invited to Melbourne Cup 2022 and Aus Open 2023 experience (ticket and F&B), Aus Open 2024.

For mine, there have been invites to things, but they've all cost and the few that I've gone to that were of interest, wasn't much of a networking opportunity. I agree with @bluemelbs I'm sure you can pay less for them yourself.

I've gotta say, I'm wondering the same. There is a "wank" factor to the card - even if we're no longer flashing it at the checkout as we all use mobile wallets.

For me, what keeps me renewing is the expectation that my "shadow" limit won't be as high with Platinum. I think I spend enough to make the points difference cover more than the extra $5K AF - having said that, with reasonably pedestrian point value assumptions, I calculate, you need to spend $1m before you get to breakeven on the AF.

This is a travel service. All the urban legends we hear about this card are just that. There is nothing other than some mystique to outsiders. Google is just as likely to have the solution to your problem. I made what I thought were not unreasonable requests during my last trip only a few weeks ago:
  • Source me my prescription medication which I didn't have enough of for the whole trip - declined as it was "medical advice."
  • Make representations to CX on my behalf to get my points back and compensation when they refused to honor ticketed award seats recently and I needed to buy new tickets if I wanted to get on that flight - even though they're by their own account - an extremely important and skillful travel agent, they weren't interested in making representations on my behalf - it's up to me - blaming "privacy" issues.
Are my expectations too high?

Everything else is much as has been reported elsewhere. I hear the Accor Platinum status benefits are honored - I can say that's likely correct. I hardly ever stay at Accor properties though. Hilton and Marriott (I'm Platinum, Centurion gets you to Gold) I don't think I've had any significant upgrades - if everyone staying has "status", they can't give us all an "upgrade".
I wouldn't worry about the shadow limit with platinum. It all goes by history. Currently I put on min $200k per month and only recently got an SMS (declined transactions) once it hit close to $260k

I am only interested due to extra points

Hi bluemelbs,

You raise good points, and I ask myself this same question every year.

I've been an Amex member since 2018. I got the Plat Charge and Plat Reserve. I've been Centurion since 2021/22. I was 28 when this happened. This was all the "it" factor for me. They declined the fee waiving.

I have two clients who I am close enough with that I know they have centurion, and they know I am centurion. One has cancelled. He had been centurion for 20 or so years. No waiving of the fee, he just did not see the value point blank. He is now Plat Charge. This is all the data i know.

The other has been American Express member for who knows, and Centurion for longer than he can remember. I found out recently he refuses to pay the annual fee every year. They waive it for him. He puts through $5mil+ per year.

I can tell you from my experience, and both of theirs. It's purely a "do I care, or do I not". It's why the Centurion card exists.

Hi @Quattro thanks for sharing your experience. Interesting to hear about fee Waiver at $5m. Might there be any particular type of spend that would meet that criteria or does your client use the card for business spend? $5m is a fair amount of spend - I'm nowhere near there at this stage but something to aim for I'm sure.

Hi @Quattro thanks for sharing your experience. Interesting to hear about fee Waiver at $5m. Might there be any particular type of spend that would meet that criteria or does your client use the card for business spend? $5m is a fair amount of spend - I'm nowhere near there at this stage but something to aim for I'm sure.
"Fair" is a huge understatement. Surely from that insane amount of spending, the merchant fees from $5m worth of transactions more than easily covers the $5k annual fee.

I would hope the merchant fees on $5m spend should cover it. Having said that, there likely will be a fair amount of give back of these merchant fees through MR points it generates. I’m sure Amex still make a substantial profit from him nonetheless.

Hilton Diamond has actually been an excellent perk - I've got close to 100% success rate for room upgrades. I will miss that.. but I think I might get that from VA Platinum status? I usually do a business class ticket to Fiji for 4 people - family pooling - which gives me platinum each year.
You get Hilton Diamond with VA platinum, but that is a once-off redemption for life. You don't get another go when your VA Plat is renewed (or even if you go down to gold and back up to platinum).

You get Hilton Diamond with VA platinum, but that is a once-off redemption for life. You don't get another go when your VA Plat is renewed (or even if you go down to gold and back up to platinum).
Sorry so it VA plat for 1 yr only or as long as you hold the cent card?

yeah thats my understanding.

VA plat gets you 1 yr of Hilton Diamond (no matter how long you are VA plat for)
Amex Centurion gets you Hilton Diamond for as long as you are centurion (until Amex changes the rules I guess)

To be clear, they're talking about VA Platinum granting you a (one time) upgrade to Hilton Diamond, whereas the Cent card gives you Hilton Diamond for the life of the card. The Cent card doesn't grant you VA Platinum.

That’s right Hilton Diamond for as long as you keep the Centurion. Apparently, 10 years of Diamond gives you lifetime status. I wonder if you still need to actually meet stay requirements. Doesn’t appear so according to this article:

Though can 2m base points come from credit card redemptions (as poor as they currently are compared to airline redemptions).

I’m going to try for Marriott lifetime Platinum - can’t split my stays to get there on both loyalty schemes.

Marriott does have a stay requirement:

To be clear, they're talking about VA Platinum granting you a (one time) upgrade to Hilton Diamond, whereas the Cent card gives you Hilton Diamond for the life of the card. The Cent card doesn't grant you VA Platinum.
Yes sorry I am a little slow on this holiday :)

Yes primarily running a business on an international scale.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back