Would you recommend becoming a cardholder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theevilmuppet

Hi all,

Given the current options for someone seeking to maximise their Velocity points earn, would you recommend including a Diners Club (or Diners Club and associated MasterCard) in one's wallet?

At present, I've aimed to maximise my earn through a Velocity High Flyer Visa, American Express Velocity Platinum and American Express Platinum Edge and am reviewing those arrangements.

Short of somehow getting a Citibank Prestige card, I seem to be at the upper limit for Visa/MC earn. Given the level of Diners Club acceptance, levels of earn, fees and supplementary services, what do AFF members have to say about the current offering from Diners Club?

Thanks to all who read and all who reply.

Not sure about points earning but there aren't many places that accept Diners anymore and those that do always have a huge surcharge.

Can't really justify the cost for Velocity collection over the alternatives (Edge, NAB, Citi). For AA AS and JL (via SPG) the sums will work for some

You'll earn 0.833 VFF for every dollar spent on the Mastercard. You'll do better with your Visa or a Citi Prestige.

Given the limited Diners acceptance, it's basically an expensive Mastercard with patchy international airport lounge access and less than smooth redemption.

It might work for you if you're after SPG points, but with the recent troubles Starwood is experiencing, I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket.

I agree if you can justify Prestige annual fee with your spend & you're after Velocity points, Prestige will work better with full acceptance and lower incidence of surcharges.

If after SPG points, DC is best card on the Australian market for SPG.

I agree if you can justify Prestige annual fee with your spend & you're after Velocity points, Prestige will work better with full acceptance and lower incidence of surcharges.

If after SPG points, DC is best card on the Australian market for SPG.

How many SPG points per $? I guess the same would be true for those wanting AA points also.

SPG are 2:1 so 1.5 ppd on DC transactions (Amex gets to this level only for supermarkets with platinum edge) and 0.625ppd on MC which beats Amex everywhere spend at 0.5 ppd.

Haven't researched AA points but I think transfer rate is 2:1.

The Diners earns 3/$ the MC 1.25/$

This converts to SPG at 2:1, so Diners 1.5/$, MC 0.625/$
AA also converts 2:1 directly from Diners but the trick is to take advantage of the 5K bonus miles that SPG give you for every 20K you transfer to an airline program via SPG.

This gives an effective AA earn with Diners of 1.875/$ and the MC of 0.78/$, (AS and JAL are similar. VFF is better to transfer directly from Diners)

Taking aside the customer service issues, getting 0.78 AA miles per dollar spent even with the MC is better value IMO than any QFF earning card in Australia.
If you are only chasing AA miles, the earn rate with the Diners in a supermarket (fully accepted in the majors) is the same as with a Platinum Edge
Nearly all airlines accept Diners so comparable with a Platinum Charge
A nice bonus is double DC points (3.75 AA miles/$ ) at IHG hotels

Not a good couple of days for DC with the Marriott SPG buyout and the AA devaluation :(

Have SPG been devalued already? Just waiting for my SPG points transfer to arrive so I can book accommodation.

I would recommend Diners to anybody. The first 3 months was frustrating, as it takes a long time to even get your card, and then you don't get your points until 2 months after you've spent the money

SPG is definitely worth it, and it's saved me a tonne of money when I book reward nights during peak times (for example during Oktoberfest in Munich)

The ability to transfer to AA is the other big plus. Other Airlines not really worth it.

Even with the big AA devaluation, there is still value for Asia and Europe I think. AS is the other SPG partner that is currently good, largely because of lack of surcharges (and can book PE if needed). However, an AS devaluation must be round the corner-it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst US programmes now

I have the combination with an MC so the pair are universally accepted. I tend to 'think' of the MC as standard and the DC as bonus points.
(My spending patterns justify me having an Amex Plat Edge and a Business Accelerator too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back