Which is better to have: Regular Amex Platinum, or DJ amex platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coles525

Established Member
As per the topic heading:

I won't really use the $200ish amex voucher, nor do I often shop at DJ. I already have both cards, but wish to cancel one or both of them.

I've read there is also a virgin velocity amex card, with no annual fee. But also excludes other perks like insurance.

As per the topic heading:

I won't really use the $200ish amex voucher, nor do I often shop at DJ. I already have both cards, but wish to cancel one or both of them.

I've read there is also a virgin velocity amex card, with no annual fee. But also excludes other perks like insurance.

I guess that depends quite a lot on the type of places you spend at. The Charge rewards extra points for dining, bars, travel and foreign currency spend for example. The Charge also has a greater range of transfer partners to redeem the points with.

The Charge also has other benefits like lounge access, better insurance and a host of other features.

The two cards aren’t really that similar in a lot of ways - both are good though. Can you give us an idea of your typical earn pattern and preferred redemption options? It might help those giving advice.

My preference is for the Platinum Charge as that suits me better. Of course I’m very happy to oblige Amex and cycle the DJs card every ~18mths for the bonus points.

I use them both for basic spending, occasional online bills (optus, telstra).

- shopping (usually coles)
- fuel (BP)
- taxman (1/4'rly)
- Some types of insurance that allow amex.

Maby part of travel spending, but not overseas use.

Rewards programs I'm with are both QF & VA (kris flyer also), as well as some hotel programs like spg.

I think you are comparing the platinum edge card to the DJ platinum card.

In your situation the platinum edge seems better. It has better transfer ratios to VA and SQ than the DJ one.

Depending on how much you spend at the supermarket and on fuel, I too would definitely recommend the Platinum Edge. This is easily my favourite card as it suits my spend pattern well.

The Edge offers 3pts/$ on all supermarket spend, 2pts/$ on fuel and 1pt/$ elsewhere (excluding govt, ATO, and utilities). With the $200 travel credit, which offsets the annual fee I find it very hard to beat. You can buy gift cards at the supermarket for shops that would fall into one of the lower point earn categories too.

Transfer partners include Velocity, Kris Flyer, Asia Miles, but not Qantas (unless you have a Platinum Charge).

The "best" card(s) for everyone is going to be different, but for me the Edge is the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back