Which credit card would be best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schebesta

Hey guys,

Which credit card would you recommend for someone who will be doing 26 international flights this year.
What card would be the best card for rewards? My visa is capped at 2,000 rewards per month

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

The citibusiness gold card is capped at 80K points a year with 1.25:1 earn rate. Only $130 a year which is pretty good value.

If you think you will spend more than 60K for the year then a platinum card may be the way to go.

If you're booking with QF then the QF Amex may help out as you get a bonus point per $ when spending with QF.

Selecting card is very dependant on your annual spend.

For high spend, have a look at NAB Qantas Platinum Card. This card will cost $290 a year, but is uncapped and gives you a Visa Card and an Amex Card. Visa will earn 2 QFF points per $3 spend and Amex will earn 1.5 QFF points per $1.

If Amex is not going to be a big part of your spend, then a previous post suggested the CitiBusiness Card. My brother in law ,, got one for himself and one in my sisters name - costing him a total $260 a year. This maximizes the points earn at 1.25 points per $1.

Citi Plat card only earns 1 point per $1. and points can only be sent to Qantas,whereas the CitiBusiness Card , from memory can be sent to Virgin as well as Qantas ( I amy be wrong on this bit)

Last edited:
@Jeffrey - Thanks for the reply.

The citibusiness is superb with the $130.

Are the Citibank caps as follows: 40,000 for the silver, 60,000 for the gold and 120,000 for the platinum?

Which Platinum card would you recommend?

I believe the standard CB gold is 60K points, Citibusiness is 80K and platinum is 120K

Which is best will really bet determined by a number of factors:

* How much of your spend can be directed via an Amex card
* How much of your spend will be with QF
* Which FF program do you want to earn points in
* Which airline will you be doing most of your travel with through the year
* How much do you want to spend chasing points

The Citibussiness card is about the only card I know that still allows you to credit to QFF when you want, as well as to Velocity and Krisflyer.

Direct Amex cards are either QFF only or MR which let you choose from about 8 diff airline programs.

Schebesta, I agree with Jeffrey that there are a number of factors, however, I would definitely recommend going with an Amex card and enrolling in the Ascent MR program, because you have a wide variety of airlines/hotels to transfer your points to.

If you are planning on flying emirates, I would go with the CitiBank Emirates Platinum Mastercard, which earns 1.5 points per dollar spend and is capped at $100 000, which means you can earn up to 150 000 points with the skywards program.

Re: Which credit card would be best? Qn about Citi Visa Platinum?

can anyone help me pl? i have a Citi Platinum Visa and a Citibank Diners Club. I cannot log on to check what rewards i could be getting as all passwords provided to me by them do not work! i call them and we go around in circles!
Do these cards allow me to gain points that i can direct to other airlines? (I seem to remember being asked if i wanted to opt in to qantas and i did not on the CitiVisa as i already have a Qantas Amex).
I would like a card that would give me flexibility to gain points on many other airlines (as i am also with JAL mileage bank and Virgin Atlantic) .Which card do you experts think would be best?

lili2, i cannot help you with the citibank problems unfortunately, but if i were you, i would go with an amex platinum or gold and enroll in the ascent membership rewards program. With this membership program, you can transfer the points you earn (1 point per dollar) to any of 7 different airlines (malaysia, singapore airlines, qantas and virgin are included) or other hotel partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back