Where can I find the daily AmEx foreign currency exchange rate for cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsotm

Qantas
Qantas Club
I'm about to buy a camera part from the UK, and I'm just weighing up whether to use PayPal or my AmEx Plat Charge card. Is there a way I can find out the current exchange rate for card purchases? I know the real rate is a few cents below the official rate but on a few grand it can make quite a difference. Plus I think AmEx charge a percentage fee for OS transactions?

Amex typically 3-3.5% depending on the issuer. You can use oanda.com to get good idea of interbank rate and it has a credit card conversion option which I think adds 3% to save you the hassle.

Amex typically 3-3.5% depending on the issuer. You can use oanda.com to get good idea of interbank rate and it has a credit card conversion option which I think adds 3% to save you the hassle.

Thanks for that. I think I might be better with PayPal.

You're almost guaranteed to be worse off with Paypal rates. "All" DCC is a ripoff.

I made 2 x USD10 donations last week, 30 mins apart, on the Globalgiving website. One donation was made using Amex Amex and the other one using Citi Visa.

Amex came in at $11.10, while Citi came in at $11.12.

So there you go.

you can avoid the paypal exchange rates by choosing to pay in the foreign currency. Let whichever credit card you have linked on file to do the exchange rate instead.

The rates are better on credit cards than paypal.

If you can accept the idea of foregoing points, you can charge the amount to a Visa/MC card that has no FX charges. I'm sure if you are charging a large sum, you will save a considerable amount this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back