Where are all the USEFUL Amex offers this time of year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legoman

You know the ones I'm talking about. The offers for statement credits for using your Amex to purchase Xmas presents at the likes of Dymocks and Dan Murphy's etc. The big stores that actually have things you want that are useful as opposed to obscure single premise high fashion boutique vendors, ridiculously overpriced cosmetics, scented candle suppliers and wellness retreats with yoga classes where you can pay some hippie to sit around a camp fire and sing Kumbaya while contemplating the lint in your navel.

In past years, the Amex offers have been complete cough all year, but then come good at Christmas time and you can stock up at Dan Murphy's for the first 3 months of the new year, but this year there's been nothing useful all year and no change into Christmas.

I had to finally give up waiting yesterday and bought my Xmas booze with only the 5% discount via a Woolies gift card + 1.5% Cashrewards cashback.

I've been pretty happy with all the offers lately, and there were some great Christmas ones like Myer and T2 available.

Dymocks??? Well that surprises me as anything you can get there you can get way cheaper online delivered to your door anyway.

Useless offers? Each to their own I guess, but new tyres from Bob Janes (adding to a buy 4, pay for 3 tyre offer), heaps fro HN, Shop Small, 7/11, BP, online retail offer, Speccsavers, various hotel offers, Agoda as well...are but just some that come to mind that I have used this last 2 months.

Dymocks??? Well that surprises me as anything you can get there you can get way cheaper online delivered to your door anyway.

Useless offers? Each to their own I guess, but new tyres from Bob Janes (adding to a buy 4, pay for 3 tyre offer), heaps fro HN, Shop Small, 7/11, BP, online retail offer, Speccsavers, various hotel offers, Agoda as well...are but just some that come to mind that I have used this last 2 months.

Your comment about oline shopping is even more valid about Harvey Norman as it is Dymocks. Don't wear glasses, don't need a hotel, BP are always a rip off regardless of discount offers. Even more true of 7/11. As for tyres, I always buy second hand Continentals at half price since a used Continental with 90% tread left is still a way better tyre than any other manufacturer brand new!

There was a First Choice online offer a few weeks ago.

The yoga, cosmetics etc ones that you've pointed out are not unusual ( anyone?) but in all honesty I've been reasonably content with the recent offerings. September through November was fine pickings. I would've liked a BCF offer like there was last Christmas though.

Harvey Norman's considered efforts to deliberately spoil the party has put me off from ever shopping there. Hopefully amazon might sharpen their attitude towards customers a bit.

Your comment about oline shopping is even more valid about Harvey Norman as it is Dymocks.

I don't follow.

1/You just get HN to price match a cheap price from elsewhere and so you then save 25%
2/ There are actually some deals that are cheaper than elsewhere. ie I bought a gaming laptop with VR headset about 30% cheaper than elsewhere BEFORE the cashback. Save the difference and the 25%.
3/ You buy the visa cards if you were quick enough So you make $$$.

Personally I always find enough superior deals in store that beat buying VISA etc and so it is 1 or 2 for me. TIP: is knowing you that you have 3 months to only buy clearance or super-special items or price matched items.

Each to their own of course.

Last edited:
Harvey Norman's considered efforts to deliberately spoil the party has put me off from ever shopping there.

Admittedly I do not seek to buy the Visa GCs etc, but I have never had a problem using multiple Amexes to buy larger purchases at HN. I just used 5 yesterday to purchase an almost $2000 gaming laptop and no one even blinked.

Admittedly I do not seek to buy the Visa GCs etc, but I have never had a problem using multiple Amexes to buy larger purchases at HN. I just used 5 yesterday to purchase an almost $2000 gaming laptop and no one even blinked.
I used three cards to buy a phone during the previous deal, no issues.

Even more true of 7/11.

How so?

Myki top ups = 33% saving
Petrol. My local 7/11 is only slightly more expensive than my next cheapest option which is my local Woolworths with 5% off and 4cent per litre off. So at pay $10 for $15 of fuel at 7/11 I am still appreciably in front.

The BP Offer which if you put $20 in was $10 back and again at a per litre cost only marginally above the cheapest other options.

Last edited:
I guess Amex can't please everyone....we have saved hundreds (even possibly 2-3 thousands as haven't added them all up;) ) of dollars from Amex offers in the last few months...

Your comment about oline shopping is even more valid about Harvey Norman as it is Dymocks. Don't wear glasses, don't need a hotel, BP are always a rip off regardless of discount offers. Even more true of 7/11. As for tyres, I always buy second hand Continentals at half price since a used Continental with 90% tread left is still a way better tyre than any other manufacturer brand new!

No one can disagree with you about BP and 7/11 being a rip off with their pricing, BUT with the Amex offer discounts it's heaps of saving. Unless you don't know how to do basic maths - which I would expect anyone who interacts in this forum should be savvy about points and maximising discount utilising basic maths. Maybe I'm assuming too much about the average users here?

I bought a new 3500 fridge at HN same price as elsewhere used 8 cards the HN gave me 280 card and lg gave me 400 then it got a tiny dent in the side and they refunded 340 so cost me
1800 im Happy

Last edited:
You know the ones I'm talking about. The offers for statement credits for using your Amex to purchase Xmas presents at the likes of Dymocks and Dan Murphy's etc. The big stores that actually have things you want that are useful as opposed to obscure single premise high fashion boutique vendors, ridiculously overpriced cosmetics, scented candle suppliers and wellness retreats with yoga classes where you can pay some hippie to sit around a camp fire and sing Kumbaya while contemplating the lint in your navel.

In past years, the Amex offers have been complete cough all year, but then come good at Christmas time and you can stock up at Dan Murphy's for the first 3 months of the new year, but this year there's been nothing useful all year and no change into Christmas.

I had to finally give up waiting yesterday and bought my Xmas booze with only the 5% discount via a Woolies gift card + 1.5% Cashrewards cashback.

'Where are all the USEFUL Amex offers this time of year?' Staring you in the face! All you have to do is the look at this page regularly and you'll seems some very generous offers from AMEX have been made recently:

New [Amex] statement credits

Whilst we would all like more, I have to say that the offers in the last 2 months from major retailers via AMEX in the lead up to Christmas have been very good. I certainly am not complaining.

Perhaps you've lost track of the very significant savings available via offers from: Bob Jane, Harvey Norman, McDonalds, Best and Less, Harris Scarf, Shop Small, Aussie Farmers Direct, Seven Eleven, BP, Menulog, First Choice Liquor, Myer, Qantas, Event Cinema, Rebel Sport, Hertz, David Jones online, Nando's, Flower Power, Apple Pay, Expedia, Merivale and Specsavers to name just a few of the offers I have taken advantage of. I would not view these as 'obscure single premise high fashion boutique vendors'

Over my 24 AMEX cards I have saved more than $5000. Once again I am not complaining.

But if AMEX isn't working for you then I'd suggest you cancel your card without delay.

Last edited:
I was specifically referring to the Visa and gift cards. Pulling them from the shelves and/or introducing arbitrary AmEx payment bans is just arrogant.

I bought a fridge last year and split the payment several ways, but even my little tackle store guy happily splits payments so HN doesn't get any special kudos for that. Maybe I'll darken their doorstep if I need a big ticket item and there's a AmEx deal on. Maybe.

How so?

Myki top ups = 33% saving
Petrol. My local 7/11 is only slightly more expensive than my next cheapest option which is my local Woolworths with 5% off and 4cent per litre off. So at pay $10 for $15 of fuel at 7/11 I am still appreciably in front.

The BP Offer which if you put $20 in was $10 back and again at a per litre cost only marginally above the cheapest other options.
I'm in Perth. MyKi doesn't exist. 7/11 are almost non-existant. Almost. They do technically exist, but they are very uncommon. The only one I know of is in a suburb about 10km away from me. BP stations similarly are not common out West and even if you do find yourself in one, you'll be paying at least 14c/litre above the going rate everywhere else.

Bob Jane, Harvey Norman, McDonalds, Best and Less, Harris Scarf, Shop Small, Aussie Farmers Direct, Seven Eleven, BP, Menulog, First Choice Liquor, Myer, Qantas, Event Cinema, Rebel Sport, Hertz, David Jones online, Nando's, Flower Power, Apple Pay, Expedia, Merivale and Specsavers
I don't do fast food, so that's McDonalds, Nando's and probably Menulog out (though I'm not entirely sure what Menulog even is TBH)
I would only buy something from HN if a gun was held to my head - Personal rule due to Harvey's war against the public with his lobbying for more GST and his toxic advertising.
Bob Jane have scratched too many expensive wheels during alignments that I would never go back again. Use a very good independent Tyrepower now where all the Ferraris, Aston Martins and Lamborghinis go.
Don't use glasses, cinemas (seriously?... I have the internet, what do I need a cinema for?), florists, Apple Pay and I haven't needed to travel recently to make use of any hotels, airlines or hire cars. The only thing is that long list of marginal interest is First Choice Liquor, but it would have needed to be a kick cough deal because Dan Murphy's is always a cheaper starting point to begin with and has greater range.

Over my 24 AMEX cards
8-o Has anyone ever suggested you might have a problem?

I don't do fast food, so that's McDonalds, Nando's and probably Menulog out (though I'm not entirely sure what Menulog even is TBH)
I would only buy something from HN if a gun was held to my head - Personal rule due to Harvey's war against the public with his lobbying for more GST and his toxic advertising.
Bob Jane have scratched too many expensive wheels during alignments that I would never go back again. Use a very good independent Tyrepower now where all the Ferraris, Aston Martins and Lamborghinis go.
Don't use glasses, cinemas (seriously?... I have the internet, what do I need a cinema for?), florists, Apple Pay and I haven't needed to travel recently to make use of any hotels, airlines or hire cars. The only thing is that long list of marginal interest is First Choice Liquor, but it would have needed to be a kick cough deal because Dan Murphy's is always a cheaper starting point to begin with and has greater range.

8-o Has anyone ever suggested you might have a problem?
So many problems with your response (eg. I did not mention anything about a florist), but it does seem AMEX offers are not for you. You seem determined not to appreciate any of the offers that AMEX have made available and have an excuse for everything. Some people just can't be told, cancel your AMEX account now to save yourself any more disappointment.

Last edited:
So many problems with your response, but it does seem AMEX offers are not for you. Cancel now to save yourself any more disappointment.
Really? I've got the problems and yet you're the one suggesting I should cancel two perfectly good direct-earn, fee-free credit cards for simply having 5h!t, useless bonus offers attached which are not their primary purpose for existing in the first place anyway?

I think you might wanna lock yourself in a room full of mirrors for a while so you can have a bloody good hard look at yourself.

I thought the Amex offers were pretty ordinary the first 9 months of the year but they have definitely picked up last 2 months. Just between small shop, Vogue offer and HN deals, I have already covered my annual fees for the year. But I guess my spending overlaps well with their offers and you can't please everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back