What to do with millions of MR points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpokeyTokey

Hi,

I'm hoping that people on this forum could tell me how I can make better use of my points.

I have heaps and counting.

At the moment, it's just accumulating and I've been transferring them to SQ when required.
Sometimes I transfer them to Starwood, but the transfer rate is not good. I'm starting to think I'm better off paying for my hotel stays, rather than using points.

I'm also a member of QFF, Velocity and Virgin Atlantic.

I mainly travel around Asia. I don't really go to the US or Europe.

Any tips?

Much appreciated.

MrSpokeyTokey

I am using them for J and F flights to places I need/want to go.
Currently that is US and Europe for the family but really you can go anywhere unless you are feeling burnt out.

I am using them for J and F flights to places I need/want to go.

I was going to say that I have two words to describe what to do with millions of MR points. First. Class.

Are they points that have a limitation as to where they can be transferred as this may or may not limit your options :?:

I would use them for an around the world trip in business or first. Whether to transfer to an airline or use them directly is a question that only you can answer, as is which airline you transfer them to if that is the way you decide to go.

I also have a lot of points to play with and so I'm interested to see what other 'interesting' ideas that people may have.

Are they points that have a limitation as to where they can be transferred as this may or may not limit your options :?:

I would use them for an around the world trip in business or first. Whether to transfer to an airline or use them directly is a question that only you can answer, as is which airline you transfer them to if that is the way you decide to go.

I also have a lot of points to play with and so I'm interested to see what other 'interesting' ideas that people may have.

Hi,

The points don't have limitations. I can even transfer them to QFF if I wish. But from what I've experienced with QF, it's near impossible to get J or F class classic award seats.
That's why I love using SQ. They have more J & F class seats available on most flights.

I guess what I'm hoping for is advice on which rewards programs I should be using with my points.
Are some better than others?
Are there loop holes in which you join one rewards program, but have access to another rewards program, but it costs you less points for the same reward (I hope that made sense!) :)

I look forward to any ideas.

Thanks.

MrSpokeyTokey

Hi,

The points don't have limitations. I can even transfer them to QFF if I wish. But from what I've experienced with QF, it's near impossible to get J or F class classic award seats.
That's why I love using SQ. They have more J & F class seats available on most flights.

Sounds like you need to get up to speed with the QFF program, with the anyseat awards now earning points and SCs and some pretty good redemption levels about, they are now a very good alternative to cash, and there are no availability issues, and the SCs count towards status of course. I would say QF have gone form bad availability to fantastic availability, and even if you do fly a lot of J & F, if you have not had status then you would not have had the benefit of better availability of those classic awards.

Programs change form time to time, and to get the maximum value you need to keep abreast of the changes, today was a classic example with DJ announcing their AirNZ tie up, with the current 25% bonus offer for credit card transfers that could also be a good use of points, time will tell.

Every time I look up Any Seat it takes 1.7 million QFF points to get where I have booked for 288,000 in First.
Does anyone really do this?
I just switch to the Kris brand when I get stuck and do it on modest points plus a larger cash component for taxes.

Every time I look up Any Seat it takes 1.7 million QFF points to get where I have booked for 288,000 in First.
Does anyone really do this?
I just switch to the Kris brand when I get stuck and do it on modest points plus a larger cash component for taxes.

Have another look, things change, for instance as a Perth based FF you can grab a J flight to SYD for 40K direct or via Mel, depending on your travel needs the value may be there, for those with a lot of domestic travel there are some bargains that dont eat too much into the million points too much.

Thanks Markris10 for advising ANY SEAT is worth taking the occasional re-visit.
I have never used it due to the points being ridiculous for close to flying date longhaul.
On domestic flights I use Classic at least 2 weeks ahead so 90 percent of the time I am burning 36,000 points each way out of Perth and back so it really costs about $300 each way on the points I pay a surcharge on.Typically PER-SYD costs about that so I am not costing the business more and it is more comfortable.
Shorter flights to ADL and MEL are harder to justify going business.

Dont forget the anyseat awards also earn points, so their real cost is less than what you pay up front. Some of the flights have significant points differentials in the costs, so I cannot be sure that 40K will get you PER-SYD forever, grab them while you can if they make sense, sure beats spending real money.

Don't forget Travelscene Amex - 10,000 points = $100 - spend it on anything you want there. Easy - saves converting them to miles

Hi,

I have heaps and counting.

At the moment, it's just accumulating and I've been transferring them to SQ when required.

As someone else with a few million in MR points I had a look around as to where to best use my points.

Now for each of us this can be different. Where you live, where and what class you want to fly, whether it is just you or a family you are redeeming for, what status you have in airline/hotel programs etc..

While availability is important to me, so is a good burn rate as I had gained a bit of a windfall, and so my current large balance is not likely to reach it's current levels again.

Best Value for me is:

• SQ. Particularly it's J or F Savers (though destinations are limited). *A redemptions(ie ANZ, Thai etc) via SQ are a good option. ie 150K J return MEL-Europe. Availaibity has been far superior to QF in my experience.
  • QFF - for a Oneworld RTW ticket. Other redemptions on QFF generally havea realtively poor burn rate. However I am not currently using this as for me a RTW ticket means a trip longer that I can currently take. I am keeping and aquiring more QFF points (those that cannot go to SQ that is) for the time when I can indulge ina longer holiday.
  • While I do check-out QF ANYSEAT AWARDS whenever I have looked for long-haul international in J the point costs have been horrendous. CLASSIC in J are normally not anywhere near as attarctive as on SQ/*A Awards.
  • SPECIALS: While I have not yet booked one several airlines such as SQ, Malaysian or Virgin Atlantic do have discounts on certain times. Can be worth looking out for though.
Note as I now only redeem for long-hail glights and only occassionaly fly for business domestically or pleasure in Oz, I have no status in any airline program. I do maintian cheap corporate Qants Club Membership which gives me some of the benefits of status while beinga NB flying on cheap Y specials.

Internationlally as I only reddem now in J or above i autimatically get the various status benefits via the class I fly.

Hotels:
I have had a bit of a look at this. However business wise my hotel stays are normally complimentary and so I have no status in any program. Looking at what I could get point wise seems to not offer anywhere near the value of a J flight on SQ or *A.

Further I can generally find via the internet accommodation very econmical options which suit my tastes/ needs (ie my recreational travel is normally 4/5 people in a family and say a two bed partment can be great value) and location requirements for me 5* hotels can often be in locations where I am not wanting to be).

At some loactions where I know the accommodation market is competitive and I have the time I will just secure on the spot by "dealing". ie Hanoi lasy Xmas.

Don't forget Travelscene Amex - 10,000 points = $100 - spend it on anything you want there. Easy - saves converting them to miles

True.

But that is only 1 cent per point.

My current batch of mixed J/F redemptions on SQ to Europe realised about 8 cents per point (after deducting taxes). Now admitedly if I had to buy J tickets to Europe I could get them cheaper on another airline than "full-price" SQ. But it would still be at much better rate than 1 cent per point.

Last Xmas's 4 J's SQ to Vietnam/MEL return, realised about 6 cents per point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back