What spend category are Square Payments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

albyd

Established Member
Hi,

Did some search and couldn't find a thread this fit into. Thought this wouldn't hurt as the current points regime is about to change anyway. I made a payment to a Square merchant yesterday and noticed the below. Have gone back through my statements and noticed the same thing with other Square merchants I've used - it comes through as "groceries". Does anyone have experience of this coming through as "supermarket" spend even though it's clearly not with a supermarket? Thought I'd check before doing a 'tester' myself.
upload_2019-3-19_13-14-39.png

I seem to recall that at least some (but maybe not all) of my purchases through Square terminals, code as Square initially and then later when they post they show the underlying merchant. I think I also observed the "Retail and Grocery" on something (maybe not Square) that wasn't in fact a supermarket, and when I tried the Platinum Edge on that merchant I only got 1ppd.

Thanks for your feedback @twiningb. Had a few more payments before D-Day was hoping to put them through Edge but I think I'll keep using Explorer. Would hate them to go through at 1ppd (trying to get 3ppd) when they can easily go through at 2ppd.

Square payments go through as all sorts of different merchant categories. None of them that I have seen are in the right category for the bonus points categories.

Yeah quite annoyed my regular coffee shop has switched to Square, as Amex no longer sees it as a restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back