What`s the best Amex earning value for money card? Is it David Jones card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonF

I suspect it might be a toss up between the Edge and David Jones but welcome your thoughts. I`m exploring another option with my earning (vs going down the DJ route) where I want as many Amex reward points as possible to transfer to SPG to transfer to an airline program that no other company partners with in Aus. Crazy i know but let`s entertain the idea for a moment with my goal of getting the best bang for buck Amex card that gets the most Reward miles. Also i`m not really interested in the Amex plat so rule that out.

Am I correct in what I read that the David Jones card gets better point accumulation than Edge then you can change the David Jones points to Amex reward points and redeem for SPG points in 1 k increments?

There has to be something i`m missing here.

*Edit* now appears maybe getting a diners card might be the way to go too given $1 = 1.5 SPG miles vs $1 =0.5 Spg points.

Last edited:
I suspect it might be a toss up between the Edge and David Jones but welcome your thoughts. I`m exploring another option with my earning (vs going down the DJ route) where I want as many Amex reward points as possible to transfer to SPG to transfer to an airline program that no other company partners with in Aus. Crazy i know but let`s entertain the idea for a moment with my goal of getting the best bang for buck Amex card that gets the most Reward miles. Also i`m not really interested in the Amex plat so rule that out.

Am I correct in what I read that the David Jones card gets better point accumulation than Edge then you can change the David Jones points to Amex reward points and redeem for SPG points in 1 k increments?

There has to be something i`m missing here.

*Edit* now appears maybe getting a diners card might be the way to go too given $1 = 1.5 SPG miles vs $1 =0.5 Spg points.
The Edge over the DJ card, you may get lots of points on the DJ card but maay of those points are worth half if you send them to FF programs. If you want SPG points then a good deal for the DJ card.

The Edge over the DJ card, you may get lots of points on the DJ card but maay of those points are worth half if you send them to FF programs. If you want SPG points then a good deal for the DJ card.

That is a good point I`d failed to consider. Thanks.

Diners Club / Mastercard combo for sure. For places which don't accept Diners, you have the Mastercard which earns you 0.625 SPG points per dollar, better than the standard MR earn, and allows you to earn at places which don't accept either Amex or Diners.

Thought so. Only Diners and Amex have possibility of turning their reward points into SPG points right?

I heard that the ratio for DJ card going to SPG is 2:1 though which is not bad at all considering you get a 25% bonus for transferring 20 000 points.

I heard that the ratio for DJ card going to SPG is 2:1 though which is not bad at all considering you get a 25% bonus for transferring 20 000 points.

Yep but you have different point earning depending on what you purchase in edge vs DJ card so i guess how your spending is to which is best.

It depends on where you spend, but outside of DJs, petrol stations and supermarkets, the card earns only 1 point per $1 (or 0.75QFF points if you're not crediting to SPG). Very poor value in that regard, IMO! :)

As ChrisCh mentions, it all depends on where your greatest spend is. Supermarkets and petrol then Edge wins hands down imo, especially when combined with gift cards, targetted offers and the like. Look at the wonderful BP bonus offer last year where it was possible to earn 7 full points per $ spend. A year or two back I was earning 6 points on Vintage Cellars purchases. There are DJ's (and Myers, DSE etc) gift cards for sale at woolies. Buying one of these at woolies for your DJ's purchase will earn you 3 full points per $. Do you want a referral now? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back