Westpac Altitude 80K bonus QFF Points- $195 fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apply for the Westpac Altitude Black credit card by 31 July 2017, choose Altitude Qantas as your rewards program and spend $5,000 on eligible purchases within 90 days of card approval*.
Then, you can to start enjoying the benefits, including:

• 1.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases using your Westpac Altitude Black American Express® Card†
  • 0.625 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases using your Westpac Altitude Black MasterCard†
  • 1 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent on selected Qantas products & services^
  • Two complimentary Qantas Club Lounge invitations every year after your first spend on selected Qantas products and services in Australia∆
  • 24/7 Platinum Concierge Service to help handle any request from restaurant bookings to ordering you a taxi#
  • Complimentary insurance cover, including Overseas Travel Insurance, Extended Warranty Insurance and Transit Accident Insurance, as set out in your policy++
It's simple to earn 80,000 bonus Qantas Points and enjoy all these benefits. Just apply by 31 July 2017 and spend $5,000 on eligible purchases within 90 days of card approval.*

no 12 month exclusion clause?

Looks like it I'm afraid;

"Existing Westpac customers who currently hold an Altitude Platinum or Altitude Black credit card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer."

So as I understand it...ANZ are cancelling the Amex, capping the VISA at 7,500 (1:1) then 0.5:1, and increasing the fee to $425 (reduced to $0 in the first year) and 75 status credits; while Westpac are keeping the Amex (reducing to 1.25:1 from 1/7), increasing the earn rate of the VISA from 0.5 to 0.625:1, both uncapped, and charging a fee of $395 (reduced to $195 in the first year). Different sign-on bonuses, although if you already have the card that's not available.

Interesting...

So as I understand it...ANZ are cancelling the Amex, capping the VISA at 7,500 (1:1) then 0.5:1, and increasing the fee to $425 (reduced to $0 in the first year) and 75 status credits; while Westpac are keeping the Amex (reducing to 1.25:1 from 1/7), increasing the earn rate of the VISA from 0.5 to 0.625:1, both uncapped, and charging a fee of $395 (reduced to $195 in the first year). Different sign-on bonuses, although if you already have the card that's not available.

Interesting...

Which Visa are you saying Westpac is improving? Altitude Black is AMEX + MC (no Visa), and already earns 0.625/$1 with Qantas or Velocity within Australia. If anything, Westpac is cutting the earn rate as the Mastercard currently earns 1.5/$1 overseas but will drop to 0.625/$1 as of July 1 to match the domestic earn rate.

(0.5/$1 earn would only apply if you were converting to SQ or CX as the conversion rate is different, and isn't being updated as part of these changes.)

Interesting...

Which Visa are you saying Westpac is improving? Altitude Black is AMEX + MC (no Visa), and already earns 0.625/$1 with Qantas or Velocity within Australia. If anything, Westpac is cutting the earn rate as the Mastercard currently earns 1.5/$1 overseas but will drop to 0.625/$1 as of July 1 to match the domestic earn rate.

(0.5/$1 earn would only apply if you were converting to SQ or CX as the conversion rate is different, and isn't being updated as part of these changes.)

You are indeed correct.:oops:

I had the Westpac Altitude Black until a few months ago; I cancelled it when the annual fee came due. I seemed to remember it was 0.5 points per $ but as you point out it was 0.625 on domestic spend. My apologies. And yes it was MC rather than VISA. My excuse is that I never used the Westpac MC, only the AMEX. For MC/VISA spend I mostly used other cards with higher earn.

Thus my use of the phrase '...as I understand it...' All these changes are difficult to keep up with and I appreciate you correcting my bad.

Question is, where to now. I will probably cancel my ANZ as well come annual fee time (unless they waive the fee which I think is less likely this year than in past years). If I get approved for a QF card I'll use that and my DJ Amex until the 12 month exclusion is over or something better comes along.

PS: As I noted previously, the earn rate on AMEX is also dropping from 1.5 to 1.25 per $ for QF points.:(

Altitude Business Platinum will still earn the equivalent of 1.5/$1 on AMEX with QF and VA as of July 1, but I'm hesitant to switch because they haven't announced any changes to this card yet, and the current sign-up promo which has been running since 2014 ends on June 30.

Advantage being that points can be manually converted to QFF or Velocity, plus SQ/CX but at lower rates. MH was also appealing until MH gutted its own Enrich program this month to make it crazy uncompetitive.

Biz Plat Visa also still gives extra points on international spend, but given that Westpac has removed this bonus across its Altitude/Earth/Amplify range I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from Altitude Biz too.

Looks like it I'm afraid;

"Existing Westpac customers who currently hold an Altitude Platinum or Altitude Black credit card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer."
Where did you find that Clause, I had looked previously for this and couldn't find, searched again just now and couldn't find?

Sorry if this is slightly OT, but I wonder if Westpac realise they're using a a picture of an Easyjet plane in their promotion of bonus Qantas points? :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 11.02.21 AM.jpg

Sorry if this is slightly OT, but I wonder if Westpac realise they're using a a picture of an Easyjet plane in their promotion of bonus Qantas points? :rolleyes:

View attachment 99155

Eagle eyes !

Amazing what you can copy and paste or photoshop these days isn't it?
#marketingfail101

Applied on Sunday, got conditional approval because they wanted me to show 2 payslips to prove income. Did that on Tuesday and got approval email Tuesday night. I have a westpac bank account but only part of my f/n salary goes into it, maybe they thought that is all I earn

Applied on Sunday, got conditional approval because they wanted me to show 2 payslips to prove income. Did that on Tuesday and got approval email Tuesday night. I have a westpac bank account but only part of my f/n salary goes into it, maybe they thought that is all I earn

No sign of the card yet I assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back