Wanted: Credit Card for Use in France That Works in Automated Fuel Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdnanostaw

When I try to use any of my credit cards:
* 28 Degrees (for purchases)
* Citibank debit (for ATM withdrawals)
* UBank (in desperation when trying to buy fuel on a Sunday)
* ANZ (ditto)

in France:

1. I can withdraw cash from an ATM.
  2. I can buy tickets at ticket dispensing machines at railway station at CDG airport (I think this is correct but not absolutely certain. Had super sexy helper help me but I don't recall whether the problem was with CC or buying a book of 10 tickets - this is the best option for travelling on public transport in Paris for limited number of days).
  3. I have to sign at supermarkets and other stores which causes great confusion because the checkout people aren't expecting to have to press the button that generates required vouchers so I have to tell them and then they don't have a pen available.
  4. I cannot buy fuel at automated fuel stations (FS) that now make up the vast majority of FS. This is a major problem after hours or on a Sunday or PH when there are almost no manned FS.
I can live with 3 but 4 is becoming a showstopper as the number of manned stations dwindles.
It was almost a "disaster" in June when there was a fuel strike on. My hotel was 60km from CDG where I had to return the car (Renault (or Peugeot or Citroen) lease - the ONLY way to get a car in Europe) and I had possibly 50km in the tank. I walked, in the rain, to the 5 FS within 2km of the hotel and they were all automated. In the end I had to return the car to Orly Airport that was only 10km away and take the shuttle bus (E30/head) to CDG.
On the same trip I drove from Paris to Berlin (DE), Prague (CZ), Bratislava (SK), Budapest (HU) and Warsaw (PL) and the cards worked perfectly in all countries except France.
Can someone please provide:

• Name of credit card that works in France. Preferably free or low cost without foreign currency transaction and conversion charges (Ho Ho). Since the card is for emergency use only I can live with the FX charges on enough fuel to keep me going.
I have visited ANZ and NAB branches and, because they had never heard of problem, they called their CC ops centre who advised that they didn't have a CC that worked in France.

• Link to a website that explains why the cards don't work in France. Not critical, just nice to know.

Sorry I can't help with that but I feel your pain - had the same problem - good luck

In Italy I'd get that problem every now and then with my cards. I just made sure to keep some lower denomination notes in addition to big notes, and paid cash into the machines, using a bigger note at first, then smaller notes as my tank got fuller. Had I just used one big note which wasn't used up in petrol, the machine would print out a voucher for use next time.

In the western USA a few months back, no machine would take my cards - as it always insisted I punch in my zip code, and my Australian Postcode didn't work. So I'd be pre-paying the tellers with cash first, then going back inside and getting a refund for the unused amount (which I didn't want, as I'd have to presumably remember the petrol chain I'd bought from).

I have heard of people having trouble on French tollways with their cards. Did this happen to you?
Regards,
Renato

If you want a credit card to work perfectly in France you need a French credit card.
I'm sorry but that's the way it is.
And of course you won't be able to get one without at least a work permit.
Leaving that aside, I have found Visa cards are more widely accepted than any other kind.
There can still be problems using machines to pay for fuel, tolls etc.

Incidentally you could try getting a Navigo card - the card for public transport in Paris (and the rest of the Ile de France).
There is a version available for tourists. It is cheaper for public transport and you can use it to pay for other things.
For example you can use it to hire the velib bicycles in Paris.
Just make sure you have a passport photo with you and you can get one on the spot at any staffed metro station.

I don't have a link to the reasons, however it might be due to higher fees charged by banks to allow acceptance of foreign cards.
This is why very few places in Denmark accept foreign credit cards.

In the western USA a few months back, no machine would take my cards - as it always insisted I punch in my zip code, and my Australian Postcode didn't work. So I'd be pre-paying the tellers with cash first, then going back inside and getting a refund for the unused amount (which I didn't want, as I'd have to presumably remember the petrol chain I'd bought from).

Add a "0" to your postcode. They are expecting 5 numbers. eg 2010 => 02010

Has this actually worked for you in the US? I've tried that before, but it still declined. But I wonder if I was putting the 0 after. I just go in and tell them I'm paying with a foreign credit card and they auth the pump (except at the ARCO near the rental car returns at LAX, that place is hopeless!), sometimes they ask to hold my ID.

Good info re: France, as we will be driving from Rome to Paris next year with two weekends during the trip.

Last edited:
Has this actually worked for you in the US? I've tried that before, but it still declined. But I wonder if I was putting the 0 after. I just go in and tell them I'm paying with a foreign credit card and they auth the pump (except at the ARCO near the rental car returns at LAX, that place is hopeless!), sometimes they ask to hold my ID.

It was actually the petrol station I use when returning to SFO told me the trick. (I think it was a 96 station). I've had it work with AMEX and 28degrees MC in multiple stations.

Tried QANTAS Cash (MasterCard) loaded with €?

BWAHAHA

Apologies for the spontaneous outbreak of mirth, but that won't be accepted at most places in France, let alone at toll booths or automatic service stations.

It was actually the petrol station I use when returning to SFO told me the trick. (I think it was a 96 station). I've had it work with AMEX and 28degrees MC in multiple stations.

Thanks for that, it will be very handy if I ever go back to the USA.
I just wonder what I did wrong? - They told you the trick, but no service station people ever told me the trick.
Cheers,
Renato

That strategy has never worked for me and I've driven more than 20,000 kms in the US across over 20 states.

Last edited:
Tried QANTAS Cash (MasterCard) loaded with €?

I had no problem using it in France in June this year for hotels, newsagents, small grocery shops, clothes/handbag boutique and bicycle hire. But I wasn't driving so can't report on petrol or tolls.

I wouldn't take this advice as gospel as this has never worked for me nor has using 90210 or any other US Post code that I could remember, even the code of the town I filling up in.

Cheers,
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back