VISA Emergency Replacement card - Issue with St George

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinCBR

Intern
Long Story, but anyways, "lost" two visa cards at the same time in Las Vegas on New Years, one a St George Credit Card, the other a NAB Debit Card. Called Visa arranged cards to be cancelled and "emergency replacements" to be sent to me in New York once i got here.

Received the cards (Thank you to the Andaz 5th Ave), tried to use the St George Card at a Starbucks for a $5, does not work, try the NAB card - works, call Visa, they call St George, turns out St George Cards are only good for walking into a bank and getting a cash advance.

Had a longish discussion with Visa about this, they were pretty sure this is the only bank that do this and thought it weird - followed it up with a call to St George in Sydney, got the run around, spoke to a supervisor, eventually was told that card could also be used for purchases where the merchant was prepared to accept that the swipe didnt work, and they manually processed the card details..

This seems like an overwhelming reason to switch/stay away from St George.

I am lucky, I operate a US account, and a Westpac Savings account, so I was able to swap money around, and have available cash to do that, but if you were on a holiday and didnt have those resources, the St George replacement card service would pretty much ground you, unless your entire holiday was prepaid and you were only looking for cash.

eventually was told that card could also be used for purchases where the merchant was prepared to accept that the swipe didnt work, and they manually processed the card details..

Wow, that's strange. Are the replacement cards "generic" Visa cards, or are they actually branded properly? Just curious why St George won't accept the mag stripe data in their systems...

Wow, that's strange. Are the replacement cards "generic" Visa cards, or are they actually branded properly? Just curious why St George won't accept the mag stripe data in their systems...

They are generic - Silver/Gold Background Arial Font on the front, but imprinted. Apparently St George insist that visa does not encode the mag stripe - and that is the issue.

In fact, the cards look so generic, that if someone walked up to me, told me the stripe didnt work, and that i deeded to type the number in, i would think something was well off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back